Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #85966
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'll always prefer the '50's to 70's crest logo over the blue oval.

But, my all time favourite Ford logo (which was also Henry's least favourite logo) is the 1912 logo. I even have a coffee mug with it.

The original Ford logo was also quite nice, although a bit "busy":

Something that I've always wondered is: Is the Ford "Oval" logo really an oval, or is it an ellipse?

I am not sure on that one. Ovals and ellipses have always puzzled me.

Other things that I'm unsure of , and relate to automobiles, is that the Ford 'type; script...that kind of embellished slant came from the typewriter that Henry (the first) had available. Nothing more, nothing less. Or so I've heard.

I've also heard that the Chevrolet symbol, the bowtie came from a piece of wallpaper design in a hotel in Paris. France.

I also do not know where the curvaceous shape of the old style coca cola bottle came from. Was it just a happy accident , or was there some intent in using that design ?

Hmmnnn. I don't know.

03-01-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #85967
Pentaxian

Here's the crest logo off the back of a '57 Ford Custom 300. The FORD script at the top hides the key-hole and slides to the right.
You don't see that kind of covered badging or tail lights that move to the side to display a car gas tank pipe, anymore.

Some say it was pure whimsy that allowed these designs, others say it improved the 'look' of an old car. albeit it increasing the uncertainty of those unfamiliar with where these essential parts of a car, that would eventually become vitally important....if, for example you needed to get into a trunk or fill up the vehicle with fuel.

I like these quirks of design, feel they add character to a car and..... confusion to less knowledgeable gas thieves.
03-01-2021, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #85968
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mmm. Yes, probably a bit oilier. Also more bitter, I presume as result of the overextraction. And little or no crema.
Not necessarily bitter, although if you grind the coffee as fine as you would for espresso it will be the case. Definitely no crema, although that's a personal preference thing I guess.
A good espresso is a good espresso, though.
03-01-2021, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #85969
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I am not sure on that one. Ovals and ellipses have always puzzled me.

Other things that I'm unsure of , and relate to automobiles, is that the Ford 'type; script...that kind of embellished slant came from the typewriter that Henry (the first) had available. Nothing more, nothing less. Or so I've heard.

I've also heard that the Chevrolet symbol, the bowtie came from a piece of wallpaper design in a hotel in Paris. France.

I also do not know where the curvaceous shape of the old style coca cola bottle came from. Was it just a happy accident , or was there some intent in using that design ?

Hmmnnn. I don't know.
The Ford logo script came from a stencil that the logo designer Childe Harold Wills happened to have and which was given to him by his grandfather. Some sources claim he was a manufacturer of business cards but that's not correct. He was, at the time, Ford's chief design engineer and Henry asked him to design a new logo.

The Chevy bowtie is an interesting story too: The long-accepted story, confirmed by Durant himself, was that it was inspired by the wallpaper design in a Parisian hotel, but that may be a lie. His daughter and wife said that he first sketched the logo while on holiday in Georgia and there was a local business advertising in the paper that had a very similar logo. Their theory was that he saw it in the paper and made up the Paris hotel story as it sounded more exotic.

03-01-2021, 06:34 PM - 3 Likes   #85970
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmnnn. I don't know.
By design. See The History of the Coca-Cola Contour Bottle - News & Articles.
03-01-2021, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #85971
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not necessarily bitter, although if you grind the coffee as fine as you would for espresso it will be the case. Definitely no crema, although that's a personal preference thing I guess.
A good espresso is a good espresso, though.
An espresso without crema will get sent back.
03-01-2021, 08:26 PM - 2 Likes   #85972
Pentaxian

The Ford logo script came from a stencil that the logo designer Childe Harold Wills happened to have and which was given to him by his grandfather. Some sources claim he was a manufacturer of business cards but that's not correct. He was, at the time, Ford's chief design engineer and Henry asked him to design a new logo.

The Chevy bowtie is an interesting story too: The long-accepted story, confirmed by Durant himself, was that it was inspired by the wallpaper design in a Parisian hotel, but that may be a lie. His daughter and wife said that he first sketched the logo while on holiday in Georgia and there was a local business advertising in the paper that had a very similar logo. Their theory was that he saw it in the paper and made up the Paris hotel story as it sounded more exotic.
I always find it amazing how stories 'evolve' over the years. It is like the oft told joke, over time...as it goes along bits and pieces are added, changed somewhat, etc. Sometimes a story will become 'the' story, because it just sounds better.

Reading your post, made me think about how much simpler, the design process could be back in the old days. Then Henry the first asked his chief designer to design a new logo....makes sense, who else to ask but your chief designer.

Nowadays, a design is probably developed by a team of designers, led by the chief designer...from there the design probably goes along with some other competitive designs to a focus group...who select their favourite ....

Then it goes to a marketing group for their input, then through the legal team, to determine if it is 'legal', then a cultural team, to determine if those area criteria's are met, then the bean counters who assess the cost and ask if it can be changed to a simpler design, as the costs per cent per volume would be more favorable to the company's ledger.

Etc.. and not in that order, necessarily.

03-01-2021, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #85973
Pentaxian

Now that is an interesting and involved process Coke went through to develop their bottle.

I rarely drink soft drinks anymore, or soda as others call it. However my drink of choice in this category was always Coco Cola...the real thing, not new coke of diet coke.

I wasn't a Pepsi fan, although many are.

I did like the uncola...Seven Up, or ginger ale...but only of Canada Dry variety and not for any reasons of patriotism, but due entirely to taste.

Grape crush was another drink I liked, but not Mountain Dew.

I wonder if most people prefer Coca Cola or Pepsi...or maybe another brand ?
03-02-2021, 01:37 AM - 5 Likes   #85974
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great story about the old pub in England, Bob. My first date with my wife was in a pub called The George Inn in the little village of Alfriston on the Sussex Downs back in the early 90s, and we go back there regularly. There’s a year carved over the main door, 1392, a hundred years or so before Columbus set sail. It was a stopping point on the stagecoach route along England’s south coast, and the original stone fireplace is still there. The fireplace has a deep notch on one side, which the pub landlord told us was worn into the stone by patrons of the pub sharpening their swords on it while having a relaxing frothy ale.
03-02-2021, 02:36 AM - 2 Likes   #85975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An espresso without crema will get sent back.
Just drop it by me, I'll take good care of it
03-02-2021, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #85976
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that is an interesting and involved process Coke went through to develop their bottle.

I rarely drink soft drinks anymore, or soda as others call it. However my drink of choice in this category was always Coco Cola...the real thing, not new coke of diet coke.

I wasn't a Pepsi fan, although many are.

I did like the uncola...Seven Up, or ginger ale...but only of Canada Dry variety and not for any reasons of patriotism, but due entirely to taste.

Grape crush was another drink I liked, but not Mountain Dew.

I wonder if most people prefer Coca Cola or Pepsi...or maybe another brand ?
I don't drink fizzy soft drinks often, but when thirsty, either a coke or a pepsi will do. My all time favourite though: Fanta.
If we go to the movies (and the regular theatre, not the fancy one where you can have anything you please, whether a beer or a glass of wine in a real glass) invariably, I'll have a Fanta! None of the fancy flavours, ordinary Fanta!
03-02-2021, 03:23 AM - 4 Likes   #85977
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always find it amazing how stories 'evolve' over the years. It is like the oft told joke, over time...as it goes along bits and pieces are added, changed somewhat, etc. Sometimes a story will become 'the' story, because it just sounds better.

Reading your post, made me think about how much simpler, the design process could be back in the old days. Then Henry the first asked his chief designer to design a new logo....makes sense, who else to ask but your chief designer.

Nowadays, a design is probably developed by a team of designers, led by the chief designer...from there the design probably goes along with some other competitive designs to a focus group...who select their favourite ....

Then it goes to a marketing group for their input, then through the legal team, to determine if it is 'legal', then a cultural team, to determine if those area criteria's are met, then the bean counters who assess the cost and ask if it can be changed to a simpler design, as the costs per cent per volume would be more favorable to the company's ledger.

Etc.. and not in that order, necessarily.
Henry abhorred waste, so I can imagine that he would have balked at the thought of a team, unless, of course, there was simply more work than one man could do.

Not sure if I ever told the story, but if I did, it's worth telling again. Henry did not actually build Model T Fords prior to 1914. From 1909 to some time in 1914, most parts of the cars were, in fact, built by Dodge Brothers. Assembly took place at the Ford plant. Henry hated waste so, I read somewhere that he hit upon the idea to specify that the engines and planetary gearboxes Dodge Brothers supplied for the Model T's had to be delivered to the Ford plant in wooden crates of a specific size. The reason was that Henry figured that he could use those crates planks for the floor boards in the cars, thereby saving money not needing to buy wood for floorboards himself.

Now, most people think this is a bit of a tall tale to try and show how miserly Henry was. In our Ford Car Club in Cape Town there was a fellow with a completely original early 1912 Model T. When I say, completely original, the only things not original to the car are the tires. The car looks as worn as you would expect a 109 year old car to be. The fenders are almost devoid of paint as the paint has worn so thin over the years.
So, I asked him if I could have a look at the underside of the car. He, naturally, said "Sure". So, I got under the car and looked up. And there, on the wooden floor boards were the crate stampings for Dodge Brothers.
03-02-2021, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #85978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nah, I was only winding you up Rod.
I don’t get wound up that easily, Mark.
You just gave me an excuse for another unfunny post.
03-02-2021, 06:14 AM - 3 Likes   #85979
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Henry abhorred waste
Bless him for that, it gave birth to Kingsford charcoal.
Originally called Ford charcoal.

03-02-2021, 08:11 AM - 3 Likes   #85980
Pentaxian

Henry abhorred waste, so I can imagine that he would have balked at the thought of a team, unless, of course, there was simply more work than one man could do.

Not sure if I ever told the story, but if I did, it's worth telling again. Henry did not actually build Model T Fords prior to 1914. From 1909 to some time in 1914, most parts of the cars were, in fact, built by Dodge Brothers. Assembly took place at the Ford plant. Henry hated waste so, I read somewhere that he hit upon the idea to specify that the engines and planetary gearboxes Dodge Brothers supplied for the Model T's had to be delivered to the Ford plant in wooden crates of a specific size. The reason was that Henry figured that he could use those crates planks for the floor boards in the cars, thereby saving money not needing to buy wood for floorboards himself.

Now, most people think this is a bit of a tall tale to try and show how miserly Henry was. In our Ford Car Club in Cape Town there was a fellow with a completely original early 1912 Model T. When I say, completely original, the only things not original to the car are the tires. The car looks as worn as you would expect a 109 year old car to be. The fenders are almost devoid of paint as the paint has worn so thin over the years.
So, I asked him if I could have a look at the underside of the car. He, naturally, said "Sure". So, I got under the car and looked up. And there, on the wooden floor boards were the crate stampings for Dodge Brothers.
That is correct about the crates. The crates , when delivered were not to spec, so he sent them back. Supplier complained and he replied that the packaging was written into the contract for the parts.