Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2021, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #86401
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tunnels bother me more than most bridges.
I've driven across Lake Pontchartrain Causeway a couple of times, it gets to me after a few of its nearly 24 miles.
Not my pic:

03-18-2021, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #86402
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
14 FEATURES MISSING FROM MODERN CARS
03-18-2021, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #86403
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Very true.

I can add a few to that list:

The traditional cable operated handbrake. (Most new cars it's just a button and the handbrake engages or disengages electrically.)

Underfloor heating. (OK, only Cadillacs in the 1940's had that feature!)

The little pull up stalk on each door to unlock the doors from the inside.

Hydraulic power steering. (You guessed it - going electric on most new cars because they need it to be electric for the lane keep assist anyway.)

The roof lining. (as a fabric over bows - long gone!)

Vinyl tops.

Woodie wagons!

Mud flaps.

In wheel sensors on expensive cars to monitor tire air pressure. (These days it's simply done by the car's computer system evaluating tire rotational speed in all four wheels. If one is rotating at a different speed to the others, the car knows that one's got to be at a different pressure.)
03-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #86404
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've driven across Lake Pontchartrain Causeway a couple of times, it gets to me after a few of its nearly 24 miles.
Not my pic:
I wish we could do that between our South Island and North Island, but we have a pretty deep channel and an earthquake fault line or two or three in the way.

03-18-2021, 06:58 PM   #86405
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I experience some vertigo. I don't like extreme heights and looking down. If I had to , well I may want to sample some of those craft beers, after that ordeal.
My go to method for driving over high bridges is closing my eyes. So far it's worked for me.
The bridge only spans 200 feet. There were times with Monstro and an overlength load I was over half that at 120 feet.
03-18-2021, 07:09 PM - 3 Likes   #86406
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Oh yes. Especially in old vehicles that I used to own. Working on a new vehicle is really nice comparatively
I'll stick with my old clunkers.

03-18-2021, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #86407
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'll stick with my old clunkers.

But its a nice clunker

03-18-2021, 07:33 PM - 4 Likes   #86408
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Not my pic:
Been across it several times. These are from a trip in the Gucamole Express. I had a load of ship's wheels (propellers), and had dropped a couple in Houma.

03-18-2021, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #86409
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great trip.
I have yet to have a bad trip in France. Pretty much our favourite destination
03-18-2021, 08:58 PM - 3 Likes   #86410
Pentaxian

Been across it several times. These are from a trip in the Gucamole Express. I had a load of ship's wheels (propellers), and had dropped a couple in Houma.

Going over that bridge in Louisiana , if you were to open your right side window of your car, stick your baitcaster reel and rod out of the window with about a 12 foot fishing rod, slow down to about 10 mph, with your 4 way flashers on, you could do a fast troll of the waters.

Think a surface lure like a Hula Popper would just about be perfect.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...vyT0n76imsD5RV
03-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #86411
Pentaxian

The bridge only spans 200 feet. There were times with Monstro and an overlength load I was over half that at 120 feet.
You were halfway across the bridge in your truck cab, when your trailer tail end was just approaching the beginning of the bridge. Ever experience any wind there, or is the bridge too sheltered by the mountains ?
03-18-2021, 09:03 PM   #86412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very true.

I can add a few to that list:

The traditional cable operated handbrake. (Most new cars it's just a button and the handbrake engages or disengages electrically.)

Underfloor heating. (OK, only Cadillacs in the 1940's had that feature!)

The little pull up stalk on each door to unlock the doors from the inside.

Hydraulic power steering. (You guessed it - going electric on most new cars because they need it to be electric for the lane keep assist anyway.)

The roof lining. (as a fabric over bows - long gone!)

Vinyl tops.

Woodie wagons!

Mud flaps.

In wheel sensors on expensive cars to monitor tire air pressure. (These days it's simply done by the car's computer system evaluating tire rotational speed in all four wheels. If one is rotating at a different speed to the others, the car knows that one's got to be at a different pressure.)
I had mud flaps installed on our new SUV, when we bought it. I go down a lot of back roads, gravel, mud, snow, etc. I always get mud flaps, but I don't see many other vehicles with them on these days.
03-18-2021, 09:46 PM - 4 Likes   #86413
Pentaxian

Important safety note: When you’re using a big belt sander to smooth a slice of wood, you really ought to make sure it’s the *wood* in contact with the rapidly moving abrasive belt, not your fingertips. This will prevent you from leaking all over the place... It will also prevent the (physician) wife from becoming a tiny bit concerned about your ability to interact with power tools, after she has cleaned and dressed the wounds properly.

On the plus side, I now have as much respect for sanders as I already did for saws and lathes...
03-19-2021, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #86414
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What is a ' salary sacrifice scheme' ? I'm not familiar with this.
The employer supplies the car using part of your gross pay, before tax. The salary sacrifice thing is then taxed at fringe benefit conditions, not salary conditions.
In Australia the rules are written to help some sectors effectively increase salary without cash flow cost, and with cars to stimulate the new car market, to help keep the average fleet age lower.
03-19-2021, 12:21 AM - 2 Likes   #86415
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
My dad just died at 93 (he took MAID option rather than suffer for indeterminate times. Life ended on his terms) he retired at 62. The trick to the lifespan was staying active. Not working. Still had a girlfriend , golfed until 92 . Had a hard last year having suffered pneumonia again and then the pandemic hit and he got pretty isolated thanks to that . With no activity he lost the body mass that kept him playing golf . Decline was pretty hard for him but 93 is a good run . I need to be sure I have enough cash before I retire seeing how long he went. I hate golf but walk a lot with heavy camera kits
My condolences. He did good, though. And his choice wouldn't be possible here, MAiD is illegal. However, as the doctors can be quite liberal with the morphine when "needed" I'm not sure the practical difference is very big.

But yeah, stay active.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »