Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #86431
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Ever experience any wind there, or is the bridge too sheltered by the mountains ?
Always lots of wind out that way.

As I said, it’s pretty flat there, like the Manitoba prairie. The nearest mountains are many miles away, too far to block anything.

03-19-2021, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #86432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Me too.

Adam must be fiddling with the forum software or something.
The main page mentioned "Site under maintenance" in the morning, so I guess that's the case.
I'm still getting intermittent database errors but it seems to be getting better.
03-19-2021, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #86433
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Important safety note: When you’re using a big belt sander to smooth a slice of wood, you really ought to make sure it’s the *wood* in contact with the rapidly moving abrasive belt, not your fingertips. This will prevent you from leaking all over the place... It will also prevent the (physician) wife from becoming a tiny bit concerned about your ability to interact with power tools, after she has cleaned and dressed the wounds properly.

On the plus side, I now have as much respect for sanders as I already did for saws and lathes...
Pictures?
I’ll snap a pic when I change the dressing today... Yesterday it would’ve just looked rather red and messy.
03-19-2021, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #86434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My condolences. He did good, though. And his choice wouldn't be possible here, MAiD is illegal. However, as the doctors can be quite liberal with the morphine when "needed" I'm not sure the practical difference is very big.

But yeah, stay active.
Having attended one now and said goodbyes I think it is a very civil and humane way to end life. Admittedly a little strange to deal,with at first but after dealing with the process I am now fully supportive of the idea (and am surprised more countries haven’t adopted it. ... rules actually loosened here in January thanks to a court case that went to our Supreme Court and required govt make changes
The liberal morphine works in cases where people are already in extreme suffering in hospice but it makes them suffer needlessly first

03-19-2021, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #86435
Pentaxian

Always lots of wind out that way.

As I said, it’s pretty flat there, like the Manitoba prairie. The nearest mountains are many miles away, too far to block anything.
Good point about mountains blocking wind. On the Manitoba prairie we're about 900 miles (my guess) from the Rockies ....and all that flat space between the mountains and here....gives wind a lot of time and space to build up to some pretty fierce winds.
03-19-2021, 12:10 PM - 4 Likes   #86436
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Good point about mountains blocking wind. On the Manitoba prairie we're about 900 miles (my guess) from the Rockies ....and all that flat space between the mountains and here....gives wind a lot of time and space to build up to some pretty fierce winds.
The worst winds here in the city are all down to architects building wind tunnels .
03-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #86437
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Anyone remember Steve Allen when he would read song lyrics?
Thought of him yesterday when Urban League's Don't You Want Me Baby came on the car radio with its repetitive ending of:
Don't you want me baby?
Don't you want me? oh
Don't you want me baby?
Don't you want me? oh

https://youtu.be/BAyxatBvKfg
I do remember Steve Allen, just a bit, I can't recall if I ever saw him on TV when he was current.

I have stronger memories of Jack Paar, who I think followed Allen. At the time of Allen, I'm not sure if we got any American TV stations, but by about '61 where I lived, we did. It was a TV station, just 70 miles south, across the international border in Pembina, North Dakota that primarily broadcast to my burg, which was the largest city by far, until you got to Minneapolis about 500 miles south.

In the very early '60's , in order to get this one and only American station (KCND) viewers in my city, had to screw TV antennas on their roofs. I still recall my dad on the roof....adjusting the antenna ....bit by bit...to catch the strongest reception. I was in the living room watching KCND on the TV for the clearest picture, my mom was on the front steps....relaying my messages to my dad, 2 stories up, about when the TV had the clearest picture. It was a question of my dad saying, while adjusting the antenna...."can you see it now, can you see it (picture) now...".

It's a lot easier with cable TV.

03-19-2021, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #86438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The worst winds here in the city are all down to architects building wind tunnels .
Same here in the Peg, by the corner of Portage and Main, often times called the windiest corner in Canada. The two major streets....Portage Avenue (west/east) and Main street (north/south) intersect...with large office buildings on the sides of both streets, channeling the at times, fearsome prairie wind, acting as a narrow funnel to accelerate the winds through this intersection.

Both Main and Portage are wide, this width evolving from frontier times, when mostly Red River carts loaded with buffalo hides, were the main traffic.

In the spring...these streets were muddy and in order to travel on them during these conditions...the Red River carts, horses, people had to create extra paths, parallel to these streets as the prairie gumbo when wet in the spring would be impassable. As a result, both Portage and Main...became extra wide.

Now that the streets are paved, it seems modern traffic still can't improve on travel time going down these streets, due to increased volume of traffic.
03-19-2021, 01:57 PM - 3 Likes   #86439
Pentaxian

Sanded finger tips...

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-13-2022 at 05:01 PM.
03-19-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #86440
dbs
Pentaxian

Sanded finger tips...
Yes they are

Thankyou ... but ... no thankyou
03-19-2021, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #86441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Yes they are

Thankyou ... but ... no thankyou
Given my druthers, I'd rather not have them too... Not as painful as they look, thankfully.
03-19-2021, 04:03 PM - 3 Likes   #86442
Pentaxian

And on an entirely different note, it would appear that Iceland is busy adding some new 'frosting' to the basaltic layer-cake that makes up the lovely wee island. The Fagradalsfjall volcanic field, near the town of Grindavik on the Reykjanes Peninsula, has begun spouting ash and cinders into the night sky. So far no reports of flowing lava, and no imminent danger to towns or roads. As a geologist and volcano nut, my heart is thrilled to see Mum Nature in action.
03-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #86443
dbs
Pentaxian

And on an entirely different note, it would appear that Iceland is busy adding some new 'frosting' to the basaltic layer-cake that makes up the lovely wee island. The Fagradalsfjall volcanic field, near the town of Grindavik on the Reykjanes Peninsula, has begun spouting ash and cinders into the night sky. So far no reports of flowing lava, and no imminent danger to towns or roads. As a geologist and volcano nut, my heart is thrilled to see Mum Nature in action.
Hi Jim
Be careful of what you wish for.
Mum nature with volcano 's alone could wipe us ( humans ) out, six at once worldwide would probably do it
03-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #86444
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did the Lounge go away or move?
03-19-2021, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #86445
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Jim
Be careful of what you wish for.
Mum nature with volcano 's alone could wipe us ( humans ) out, six at once worldwide would probably do it
Nah, take a whole lot more than that. Worldwide average is 45(ish) doing something at any given time, right now I think the count is around 50-52, something like that. Now a biggie like Yellowstone could certainly do a good number on North America and probably set back civilization for a good long while, but humans are as adaptable as cockroaches. It would likely take another asteroid plus a Deccan Trapps type eruption to completely get rid of us.