Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #86476
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
If it was in Australia, it would be the mice!
Massive mice plague in the north, moving south as they eat all the crops and look for new pasture.
A mate of mine in Brisbane sent me a video clip of the "small creek" near his house. It isn't no small creek anymore.

03-21-2021, 07:51 PM - 3 Likes   #86477
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
New sub - divisions built on old floodplains is not helping anyone bar the developers.( but it hasn't flooded here in 50 yrs they cry ).
03-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #86478
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My mate's house is at the top of the hill. He'll be fine.
03-21-2021, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #86479
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That is good
I have seen a few developments where you just ask yourself .. why ?

03-21-2021, 08:05 PM - 3 Likes   #86480
Pentaxian

People don’t think about the reason it’s called a flood plain...
03-21-2021, 08:08 PM - 5 Likes   #86481
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Now waterfront property?
03-21-2021, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #86482
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Now waterfront property?
Almost. If the road below his property floods out, then he'll be waterfront!

03-21-2021, 08:44 PM - 3 Likes   #86483
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
People don’t think about the reason it’s called a flood plain...
Too true. I have designed a house for a client in a flood plain. We elevated the house FFL to substantially higher than any historic flood level. If it does flood, the house will be fine although the sheds and sewerage system will take a bit of a dunking.
03-21-2021, 08:56 PM - 6 Likes   #86484
Pentaxian

About 25 years ago, there was a very bad flood in my area, particularly in an area by the river, that flooded and does flood on a semi regular basis.

I volunteered to load and drive out many boxes of sandwiches and cases of drinks, to feed volunteers who were sand bagging along the swollen river, next to a newer housing development, of really nice up market houses.

At the time I had a mid size Chevy (rear wheel drive) van that had lots of cargo space and payload (1895 lbs.) .

I drove it out, passed out the food/drink to volunteers and after, an old man approached me. Told me an interesting story. He was a retired farmer. Told me about 10 years before he wanted to retire and a developer approached him and said he wanted to buy his farmland.

Farmer said why do you know a farmer who wants the land?

No said the developer, he liked the fact that the farm was on a lot of river bank...waterfront property and that would make the land very appealing to upscale homeowners ($$) . He wanted the land to break it down into lots and then he would arrange to build custom houses and sell the lots and house to moneyed people.

The farmer said, I told him this is great farmland, rich soil, spring floods on a semi regular basis, and replenishes the rich soil as it is on a flood plain. But while that works out well for farming, he wouldn't recommend building any houses on the land.

The developer said let me worry about the semi regular flooding, I'll offer you X amount (a lot) for your farmland and you can retire.

The money offer was generous, the farmer felt he had warned the developer , sold the land, took the money and retired.

He came out every so often during a flood to see how things were going, and it was always going as he had predicted years before to the developer.

Odd thing was eventually the people living in the area, asked for government to build up the river banks at govt. expense....because it was obvious that global warming was causing this flooding issue, not the fact that thy had bought houses built on a flood plain.

A flood plain that was known to experience significant flooding since first European settlement took place in the 1820's.
03-21-2021, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #86485
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
About 25 years ago, there was a very bad flood in my area, particularly in an area by the river, that flooded and does flood on a semi regular basis.

I volunteered to load and drive out many boxes of sandwiches and cases of drinks, to feed volunteers who were sand bagging along the swollen river, next to a newer housing development, of really nice up market houses.

At the time I had a mid size Chevy (rear wheel drive) van that had lots of cargo space and payload (1895 lbs.) .

I drove it out, passed out the food/drink to volunteers and after, an old man approached me. Told me an interesting story. He was a retired farmer. Told me about 10 years before he wanted to retire and a developer approached him and said he wanted to buy his farmland.

Farmer said why do you know a farmer who wants the land?

No said the developer, he liked the fact that the farm was on a lot of river bank...waterfront property and that would make the land very appealing to upscale homeowners ($$) . He wanted the land to break it down into lots and then he would arrange to build custom houses and sell the lots and house to moneyed people.

The farmer said, I told him this is great farmland, rich soil, spring floods on a semi regular basis, and replenishes the rich soil as it is on a flood plain. But while that works out well for farming, he wouldn't recommend building any houses on the land.

The developer said let me worry about the semi regular flooding, I'll offer you X amount (a lot) for your farmland and you can retire.

The money offer was generous, the farmer felt he had warned the developer , sold the land, took the money and retired.

He came out every so often during a flood to see how things were going, and it was always going as he had predicted years before to the developer.

Odd thing was eventually the people living in the area, asked for government to build up the river banks at govt. expense....because it was obvious that global warming was causing this flooding issue, not the fact that thy had bought houses built on a flood plain.

A flood plain that was known to experience significant flooding since first European settlement took place in the 1820's.
Yes Les ... Yes
03-22-2021, 12:23 AM - 4 Likes   #86486
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There are model airplanes and then are model airplanes.

03-22-2021, 01:03 AM - 3 Likes   #86487
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate of mine has a model airplane with a proper turbine engine. The turbine is about the size of a 2 litre coke bottle. Very impressive.
03-22-2021, 01:54 AM - 3 Likes   #86488
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

https://youtu.be/2JtykQpATbA
Impressive and just plain cool
03-22-2021, 04:41 AM - 4 Likes   #86489
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Air France, your favourite way to fly as I recall.
03-22-2021, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #86490
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Mate of mine has a model airplane with a proper turbine engine. The turbine is about the size of a 2 litre coke bottle. Very impressive.
Those jet turbine 'model' engines are spendy, several thousand dollars. I saw a video the other day where a guy mounted one on a go kart.

He has a way to go before catching this guy in Nottingham who is using an automotive turbocharger on a kart.