Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #86686
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Yes, kind of like Pate
Ahhh pate. Schmear a bit onto small slices of French bread and I'm in gastronomical heaven. Also a nice pickle on the side, doesn't hurt.

My favourite pickle. Since 1974, this has been my selection. It is a long time, small local company.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...d4r_qt8X1sWLXA

03-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #86687
Pentaxian

Why do I get a picture in my head of a bunch of guys, looking like "The Swede" from "Hell on Wheels" talking about pitch forks and hog butchering...

Thor Gundersen | Hell on wheels Wiki | Fandom
No, not the guys I used to see. They were generally wearing farmer style overalls, railway caps...or straw hats, big Swedes and Norwegians. They usually went by the name Ole, Svein, etc.
03-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #86688
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Our primary residence is smack out in the middle of Lake Superior on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula. It is a 6 hour drive to Sault Ste. Marie, ON and about 8 hours around the Lake in the other direction to Thunder Bay, ON. My sister lives in the Detroit area, which of course is a skip over or under the Detroit River into Windsor, ON. (we don't wander through Sarnia very often).

The connection to this thread is we like to cross the border whenever there is an opportunity and hit the markets, provincial wine shop and the Beer Store. We always find something unique (to us in the States anyhow). This is going to sound crazy, but high on our list are jars of pitted green olives - without some kind of crap stuffed into the vacant center. They are nearly impossible to find at most U.S. grocers.

While European colonialism isn't exactly a desirable discussion these days, the world-wide assortment of goods via the British Commonwealth is great fun to sample.
My family mainly originated from the UK (from almost 400 years before to recent arrivals ) and settled both in the Eastern Seaboard states and Canada.

I still remember that in our kitchen we always had things like Robertson's Marmalade, smoked kippers, Worcestershire sauce, HP (Houses of Parliament) sauce, various English teas, digestive cookies, both plain and chocolate covered, Black or Blood pudding, haggis, Yorkshire puddings (mom made), scones etc.

I like pitted green olives too.

I had a girlfriend back in the early '70's and her father was from Poland and mother was from Hungary. Great food from there, turkey dinner, with gravy with mushrooms and small meatballs floating around, Kubasa, perogies cabbage rolls, borscht soup...all home made. I used to totter away from the table during Sunday dinners.

Had another girlfriend (not at the same time...I am a gentleman after all) in those bygone days and her father was an avid hunter and game warden. Sunday dinners included various meats from black bear, elk, deer, moose, Canada Geese, wild ducks, etc. Now wild game doesn't necessarily always taste like chicken, but it is invariably excellent tasting.

And then of course, was my lovely wife. She and her mother can really cook up a storm. Wonderful food.

Geez, reading this stuff back, it almost seems like I was not just going out with different young ladies for reasons of romance, but also checking out how good the food and cooking happened to be. If nothing else, I'm thorough.

Just thinking of all this stuff, is making me hungry.
03-26-2021, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #86689
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Love artichoke, steamed, pickled, whatever.

By the way, did you guys see the headlines in the news yesterday?

Arti chokes two for a dollar.
I saw that and went down to the grocers to get me some.

He was all sold out but said I could buy some kind of tobacco product....Prince Albert in the Can.

Drum roll......

03-26-2021, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #86690
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well there is only so much water on earth, so infinite is a relative term.
I knew it. Can't trust anyone
03-26-2021, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #86691
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I used to have a can too, but I left the lid off and it all dried up.
Well, you should've been more careful. Sheesh.
03-26-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #86692
Pentaxian

Pitted green olives!

I used to (seems an "absolute age ago" now!) go to our local Sainsburys supermarket to buy those, "fresh" and stuffed with cloves of garlic - great on pizzas! Pitted black olives in a green salad are great as well

PS: tinned (canned) versions of the same aren't that bad either.

Last edited by jeallen01; 03-26-2021 at 02:42 PM.
03-26-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #86693
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vegans - probably what makes it bitter.

And it looks like the taste preference comes down to genes, or in your case Mark, Lyrca shorts. ;-)

This Gene Determines Whether You Love or Hate Marmite
Fun article. Thanks for posting. I laughed at the first paragraph:

"The divisive nature of the yeast extract spread is so ubiquitous, it's earned its own catchphrase. For every person who slathers Marmite on toast, mixes it into pasta, and takes a jar on holiday, there's someone who'll wrinkle their nose at the mere thought of the brown stuff."

Yes, I take it on holiday.
03-26-2021, 02:34 PM - 7 Likes   #86694
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had an issue with my new to me Explorer at the store today. I came out, hit the unlock button on the key fob, nothing!
Tried a few more times, still nothing, so I punched in the keyless entry code, still nothing. Time to use the key.
The key goes in ok, but doesn't want to turn or come back out when I pull on it. Finally I give a twist to the right and bingo, unlocked door.
I opened the door and there was a face mask hanging on the turn signal arm, and it was not mine!! That was because I was parked 2 spaces over, this was not my vehicle! Glad the owner didn't see me!
Guess the car being white and mine black should have been a clue. Just kidding, both are black and near the same year.
03-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #86695
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, still stuck!
Yup. Not looking good.
03-26-2021, 02:40 PM - 4 Likes   #86696
Veteran Member

A recent topic:

PBS today:

Garfield:

03-26-2021, 02:55 PM - 4 Likes   #86697
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Had an issue with my new to me Explorer at the store today. I came out, hit the unlock button on the key fob, nothing!
Tried a few more times, still nothing, so I punched in the keyless entry code, still nothing. Time to use the key.
The key goes in ok, but doesn't want to turn or come back out when I pull on it. Finally I give a twist to the right and bingo, unlocked door.
I opened the door and there was a face mask hanging on the turn signal arm, and it was not mine!! That was because I was parked 2 spaces over, this was not my vehicle! Glad the owner didn't see me!
Guess the car being white and mine black should have been a clue. Just kidding, both are black and near the same year.
I did that a couple of years ago. I went to gas up the car, then into the kiosk to pay my bill. Came out, saw a grey sedan , 4 door. Got in, key wouldn't work, figured what the H....then noticed stuff in the car that I didn't recognize. Slunk out of the car , hoping on one saw me, got into my car and sped away.
03-26-2021, 03:50 PM - 5 Likes   #86698
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That happened to Annie once at the gym. (Before I got her personalised plates.) Very funny.

I'm not sure if I told the Rupertesque tale before, but here goes:

Years ago, I lived for some months in St Pete's Beach, Florida. Was a block of level apartments with parking out front, near the beach. My neighbour bought himself a Chev Camaro. I had this Olds wagon and that thing had a very worn key. And, strangely, that worn key was a bit like a master key. It would open near every GM car of roughly the same year.

Now, the neighbour was a bit of an odd fish. He was a young German with US citizenship. No-one seemed to like him much but I got on OK with him, although he had no sense of humour. So, he buys this Camaro and he's obviously very proud of his "new" car. Forever cleaning and polishing. So, he comes home every evening and when he locks the car, he makes sure it's locked by checking the handle.

I obviously soon discovered that the Olds key also unlocked that Camaro. He was never an early riser, so I was always up before he headed off to work in the morning. So, what I'd do is, I'd have my morning cuppa on the front porch overlooking the car park. The first time, I just unlocked his car. He came out, went to unlock the Camaro, and it was already unlocked. He says to me: "I'm sure I locked this last night", all while looking very confused. Next, of course, I kicked it up a notch. Unlocked and passenger side window half open. The bloke comes out in the morning. Spots the half open window and figures he's losing his mind. He knows he carefully locked the car the night before!

So, I figure he'll be on the alert and I leave it for a week or so. Almost a week later, I unlock it, wind down both windows and lock it again. And so on. I'd open the hood one morning, or the tailgate another, or move the seat all the way forward, or adjust the mirrors, or leave a pebble on the seat, or any such silliness I could think of. All completely random. Leave it for weeks, then - bam. You'd see him come out in the morning, walk right around it looking exceedingly puzzled, get in and drive off. I wonder if he put two and two together when the strange happenings stopped when I moved out.
03-26-2021, 05:03 PM - 4 Likes   #86699
Veteran Member

Mark, you are incorrigible!

There was a tavern where our survey crews liked to meet up for lunch and a cold beer.
When one crew left before the other they would get in the other's work Suburban and set the radio full blast, wipers on, and in summer set the heater to full blast. Sometimes tie a roll of surveyor's ribbon to unroll from under the rear end.
One time we came out to find our truck shrink wrapped shut, a truce was called after that incident.
03-26-2021, 05:42 PM - 3 Likes   #86700
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark, you are incorrigible!

There was a tavern where our survey crews liked to meet up for lunch and a cold beer.
When one crew left before the other they would get in the other's work Suburban and set the radio full blast, wipers on, and in summer set the heater to full blast. Sometimes tie a roll of surveyor's ribbon to unroll from under the rear end.
One time we came out to find our truck shrink wrapped shut, a truce was called after that incident.
I love it! Heater full blast in the middle of summer! That's deliciously cunning!

My wife often goes to the gym at lunch times. We have keys for each others cars. So, occasionally, if I happen to drive past when she's at the gym, I'll move her car slightly. From one parking bay to the next, or once even from the one side of the road to the other. She knows it's me though. Usually she'll say something like: "Don't you have anything better to do with your time?" Odd question.