Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2021, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #86986
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
No more eating octopus, eh?
How about beaver? It is International Beaver Day.
Isn't beaver the Canadian national bird?

04-07-2021, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #86987
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yep, that would be correct, Racer.

We have some funny national animals in the Commonwealth.

For example, Australia's national fish is the Duckbill Platypus.

I can't remember what New Zealand's national bird is, but maybe Mark can answer that one. He's always up on these things.
04-08-2021, 03:14 AM - 5 Likes   #86988
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I can't remember what New Zealand's national bird is, but maybe Mark can answer that one. He's always up on these things.
That's easy.

The kiwi.

04-08-2021, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #86989
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recalled reading an article (back in the '60's I think) about a hunter ( from the midwest) who used to shoot, trap and kill snapping turtles. He killed a large one and was butchering it to sell it to an upscale restaurant, to be made into turtle soup. While he was cleaning it, he dislodged an Indian arrow point that was very old and also an old ammunition ball, that was buried deep into the shell.
Hate to shatter old memories, but I'm sure that needs filing under folklore.
Way down the line I found this:
"Turtles with arrowheads and Civil War musket balls in their shells? I don’t believe it. I’ve heard those stories from many people. Think about it. How is someone going to catch a turtle that big in those days? That was before hoop nets. Shoot it? How would they have seen it? They are nocturnal animals. They don’t even move during the day. They might come up for air once or twice a day, but all you’re going to see is the tip of the snout. You’re not going to have anything to shoot at. I’ve heard of arrowheads in these things, musket balls in their shells, and I 'm sorry. Now that’s a great story and that authenticates the fact that these animals get really old, and we know that anyway. But I just don’t buy the fact that the Indians or the Civil War soldiers or whatever are gong to run into these things."
turtleman

04-08-2021, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #86990
Veteran Member

Some years back a local farmer's club held an annual turtle soup and fish fry.
The soup and fish were excellent! It's illegal to sell turtle meat in MO, so a member went to KY to get the meat.
The soup was cooked, and constantly stirred, in those large cast iron kettles. About 700 gallons made for each event.
The fish was what we, in the Midwest, call Jack Salmon, but actually is Pacific whiting. Lent fish fries always feature this fish, it's very similar to walleye.
The annual event was eventually shut down by the county health department. The farmers club closed its doors in January after 148 years.
04-08-2021, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #86991
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All this talk about King Oscar and his cans of vintage sardines. I could go for a can of tinned oysters. On top of Ritz crackers. Washing it all down with a Molson's Canadian ..lager...beer.

It is an odd situation. I used to eat tinned oysters , on Ritz, with a nice slice of cheese, possibly an olive.....and a beer or two. I haven't done that for almost 30 years, but reading all these posts is ever drawing me back to canned seafood.

I used to watch late night movies on Saturdays, after the rest of the family had hit the sack.

There I was, just me and the oysters.

I eventually 'graduated' to Cheezies, then eventually a bag (family size) of salted chips, then Pringles round tin of chips, then popcorn, till I cracked a tooth, then eventually salt reduced smaller bag of chips and a zero alcohol beer.

Where do I go from here ?
Smoked mussels for this guy...Triskets, good cheese
04-08-2021, 04:54 AM - 3 Likes   #86992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hair? Mare? Bear?

I'm no good at this rhyming stuff.
Here, even you should get this one...

There once was a man from Nantucket

Who secretly married a bucket

He took it to bed the night they were wed

But couldn’t work out how to ....

04-08-2021, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #86993
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my sister in laws and I have many, and some might ask ....too many ?

That is not a safe question to answer on the household computer . But I digress.

One day , many moons ago she and I were out and about looking for a new car for her, as wrongly or rightly, I'm the family expert on all things automobilia.

She was getting into my Chev Astro van and said, by way of apology..".sorry I'm a bit late, hope you don't mind if eat my lunch in your van.

By way of compensation for holding me up, she kindly offered to me, part of her lunch...a rice cake. "

I was a bit horrified at the prospect of eating a rice cake and tried to cover by saying "...a rice cake...a rice cake...? Why that's like eating a slice of plastic foam drinking cup ! "

She responded "...you don't think I eat anything do you ? "

Her lunch was composed of about three rice cakes and water.
Sounds like my daughter
04-08-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #86994
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

How would they have seen it? They are nocturnal animals. They don’t even move during the day.
That part is simply false. We have snapping turtles, and other species here and I see them frequently during the day. It's quite common.
04-08-2021, 05:19 AM   #86995
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That part is simply false. We have snapping turtles, and other species here and I see them frequently during the day. It's quite common.
There are common snapping turtles, and there are alligator snapping turtles. Common's lifespan is 30 to 40 years, alligator's can live up to 70.
For the old imbedded projectiles, they would surely have to be in an alligator turtle that had lived well beyond 70.
Also:
"Alligator snapping turtles are nocturnal hunters, primarily being active at night when the temperature conditions are suitable. During the day they lie quietly at the bottom of murky water keeping their jaws open and waiting for their prey."
Alligator Snapping Turtle (Macrochelys temminckii) | about animals.

More about the big one:
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=1227

Last edited by robtcorl; 04-08-2021 at 05:29 AM.
04-08-2021, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #86996
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I tried a rice cake once. Its total lack of flavor reminded me of something. Around here walleye fishing is big, BIG business. People spend thousands of dollars on gear and boats to catch them. They come from hundreds of miles away to fish Lake Oahe. A guy I worked with gave me a walleye he'd just caught. I cleaned it, and fried it in butter seasoned with salt and pepper. I could clearly taste butter, salt, and pepper. Nothing else. The only difference between walleye and rice cakes is that the latter are cheap and easily found.
Up here, many folk mistakenly go Walleye fishing but what they are really catching (if so lucky) are Pickerel. Not a rice cake they are. They are one of the most delicious fish on the planet IMHO.

Edit: I am fibbing...what we catch is Walleye but everyone calls them Pickerel...so confusing. And up here, the Walleye are delicious

Last edited by CharLac; 04-08-2021 at 05:54 AM.
04-08-2021, 05:56 AM - 4 Likes   #86997
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No more eating octopus, eh?
How about beaver? It is International Beaver Day.
Everyone stuff a beaver today!
04-08-2021, 05:57 AM - 6 Likes   #86998
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
They are very intelligent animals. Try to get to see that doco. It is well worth it. I've watched it twice now and have found it a moving experience both times.

It's a hard one. Pigs are very intelligent animals too and I still like bacon.
Crows are very smart too yet I find myself eating crow constantly
04-08-2021, 05:59 AM - 3 Likes   #86999
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well Canadian birds have em....
04-08-2021, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #87000
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter