Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 04:50 PM - 5 Likes   #87436
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
...and I'm here to help you in your quest to learn a foreign language. BTW when we're finished, you'll be....bilingual....fluent in both American and Canadian.

Now the first step... 'eh'.

Eh is a spoken interjection used in Canadianese, and would be...' excuse me'.....'please repeat that' ......(please is never optional in Canadian) and it roughly translates to American....as....'huh'.

Eh....is quite complex as it can also be effectively used to as a way for the speaker to express solidarity, with the listener about an opinion or explanation.

Essentially eh can be used to say ....hey we're on the same page...eh ?

Another example of this use of 'eh' would be:

' Parallax seems to boil all foods...eh ?'

Eccles cakes...definition.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...v8tZ6_V7KVxlZb
We Yoopers know about 'eh'. Maybe we learned aboot it from all those fine people from Ontario who travel through the area, eh? Or maybe it is all those kids playing ice hockey on travel teams? (Professional ice hockey in the United States originated here Hockeyville USA boon to Calumet, oldest indoor ice arena in North America | NHL.com.)

For a fact, my wife and I have been incorrectly identified as Canadians on several occasions when we visit Europe.

Back bacon is a great addition to egg sandwiches.

Your turn Les.

04-19-2021, 06:16 PM - 3 Likes   #87437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
So that's why strangers keep showing up at our door, very astute observation young man.
Indeed, and elsewhere in the forum there's some pretty obvious carp posters, posting the same message six times (typos and all!) to get the entry

Come on, it isn't even that hard to post six meaningful posts a day, see my post history for good examples
04-19-2021, 08:44 PM - 3 Likes   #87438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
We Yoopers know about 'eh'. Maybe we learned aboot it from all those fine people from Ontario who travel through the area, eh? Or maybe it is all those kids playing ice hockey on travel teams? (Professional ice hockey in the United States originated here Hockeyville USA boon to Calumet, oldest indoor ice arena in North America | NHL.com.)

For a fact, my wife and I have been incorrectly identified as Canadians on several occasions when we visit Europe.

Back bacon is a great addition to egg sandwiches.

Your turn Les.

Border state people can always ID Canadians. Can't remember if I told this story, probably did. Years ago when my son was about 14 or so, he and I drove across the border to Grand Forks, North Dakota to watch a sprint car race. There are usually a couple of racers from my city mixing it up with the 'Merican racers there and the racing is fabulous. Anyway, that night on the way back, we stopped off at the McDonald's right by the interstate north. We ordered our food and the clerk asked if we were Canadians. I replied yes, how did you know ?

She said because we were so polite and I had slipped in an 'eh' at the end of the sentence.

My wife and I have been identified as Americans over in the UK, while on visits. One time we were looking at an old church site that went back about 1000 years or so, and the caretaker started to talk to us and said you Americans probably don't have any buildings this old, back in the USA. I said were not Americans we're Canadians.

He replied, same difference, you're all from the colonies.
04-19-2021, 09:00 PM - 2 Likes   #87439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Interesting. Apparently I'm bilingual and didn't know it. It's the same in this part (upper Midwest) of 'merica with a slight variation. Here that would be we're on the same page...hey?

Not all, but I did just finished a supper of ribs and biscuits dontchaknow. Alternatively, in regional linguistics, "I just finished a supper of ribs and biscuits, I did"
(Yes, I boiled them before finishing them in the oven. My apologies to #1)
I'm not surprised that you're bilingual and also, you certainly know your food and how to prepare it to your taste.

Some might say you are a worldly epicure, and who am I to debate this description.

Regional differences in pronunciation is an interesting topic. I may have told this story before, I find it so hard to keep track.

I remember a few years ago, my family and I were in South Dakota and we had stopped in the city of Pierre, think it may have been city hall. I was talking to a clerk about getting tourist information, such as what to do in Pierre....and I was surprised how she consistently mispronounced the word 'Pierre'. Nice lady.....but....

I tried to correct her, but to no avail.

04-19-2021, 09:17 PM - 5 Likes   #87440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I boiled them before finishing them in the oven.
You boiled BISCUITS??????????????
04-19-2021, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #87441
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmmm
Do you think we should tell Parallax you put the food in the steamer and not in the boiling water.

BACON

Dave
04-19-2021, 10:56 PM - 2 Likes   #87442
Pentaxian

When I was a kid my grandparents' house was about a half mile from a DeMonte plant that made, among other products, ketchup. The smell was unbelievably mouth watering.
I'll put on a big ol pot of boiling water.
I used to work just down the street from a winery. They do not get the aroma/pong right.

04-19-2021, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #87443
Pentaxian

This young man, Bobby, is 3 years old today and on a soccer team.
He has unlimited energy, so it's a good fit.

Here there are many people who would go apoplectic over your post, they call the game football, totally forgetting the need to distinguish that game from other brands of football, such as the real one played with balls branded Gilbert.
04-19-2021, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #87444
Pentaxian

Back in the late '50's, very early '60's in my part of town, there were still a few small stores that catered to people's basic food needs.

There was a butcher, a baker, not a candle stick maker that I can recall, but there was a fruiterer.

The wares they offered always seemed a bit better, than grocery stores.

As a kid if I had the price of admission, I would stop off at the bakery...to get an eccles Cake or maybe a jambuster...or a large glazed donut. They were delicious .

As I came close to the bakery....the aroma would emanate out of the shop....it would draw me in...I found I would suddenly be in the bakery...only because the little door bell had tinkled .

I would search my pockets for a dime, one thin dime and get ...usually...an eccles cake.

Now at the supermarket bakery, they may have jambusters...but usually with ersatz jam, rarely an eccles cake, and when it comes to donuts, you usually have to buy a six pack of donuts that to me, just don't taste like the donuts of yore.

In my suburb of over 100,000 people, I don't think there is one, old fashioned bakery left. Can't compete with prices of a supermarket I suppose, but unfortunately the supermarkets can't compete with the taste treats of an old fashioned, small bakery.

Just my bobservation.
Do you get any luck in small country towns?
04-19-2021, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #87445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another word in my quest to learn a foreign language, Canadian.
Eccles is not even from Canadia, it’s an English place name as well as a baker and confectioner’s label. Then there is The Famous Eccles, key character and lynchpin of the Goon Show, that paragon of radio comedy and inspiration for Monty Python and others. Now’s yer old dad.

I do hope you find these nuggets informative and interesting.
04-19-2021, 11:12 PM - 4 Likes   #87446
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You boiled BISCUITS??????????????
He can’t help it.

His oven has a boiler front end that everything goes through.
04-19-2021, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #87447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Eccles is not even from Canadia, it’s an English place name as well as a baker and confectioner’s label. Then there is The Famous Eccles, key character and lynchpin of the Goon Show, that paragon of radio comedy and inspiration for Monty Python and others. Now’s yer old dad.

I do hope you find these nuggets informative and interesting.
I was thinking of the Goons.
04-20-2021, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #87448
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My daughter and her family used to live in Newfoundland and shipping was not always possible there. Also getting in and out of NL ...flying, by ship...is sometimes held up by weather.

Norway does surprise me a bit.
Nah, it's hardly the difficulty of shipping that causes problems. We still have a good network of distribution even if it's far less efficient than it used to be (everything gets better when the lowest bidder gets the business, right?). Must be either international rules and regulations or internal business considerations that make them refuse to ship certain (most) kinds of merchandise to here. Which is perfectly fine, but why can't they say so before I get to check-out?
04-20-2021, 12:17 AM - 3 Likes   #87449
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sitting in junior's kitchen this morning, and I notice two "Everything is better with bacon" books among their cook books - one in Norwegian and one in Swedish

Hmm, seems the English title is simply "The Bacon Book".
04-20-2021, 12:26 AM - 4 Likes   #87450
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This young man, Bobby, is 3 years old today and on a soccer team.
He has unlimited energy, so it's a good fit.

When our son John was as old as young Bobby, I told him quietly, before a soccer match, that I paid one dollar for every goal. That kid made me poor!