Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #88321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You'll have to let us know, how your Yamaha drives after you install the new shocks.

I am a great believer in suspension improvements.

Years ago, when our kids were small and our cash flow was low, we wanted to get a small station wagon. We looked, tried all sorts of wagons from different manufacturers. Took a Chevy Cavalier wagon out with the standard 4 cylinder and stock suspension. I was not impressed. I dealt with a Chevy salesman who I had known since I was a kid and he was a kid. He took out the manufacturer's catalogue, did some digging and came across upgrades that were way back in the catalogue .

The optional upgrades included the heavy duty/ performance suspension which included heavy duty.... de Carbon gas shocks, heavy duty springs, thicker anti roll bars front and rear, oversized wheels and tires (from stock)...14 X 6 wheels, up graded, larger tires which were BF Goodrich T/A tires, etc. These upgrades were modestly priced options.

What a difference in handling, no wobble, no sway, much quicker in the twisties and could handle cargo loads much better.

We also special ordered the optional 2.8 V6 over the regular and flaccid four cylinder. It was the same engine in the sporty Z-24 Cavalier at the time. Excellent acceleration for the time..hit the gas and that thing moved out...yep rubber and tire chirp during fast shifts from first to second gear.

BTW, I in no way condone activities that involve hitting the gas hard and getting rubber in 2nd gear shifts.

It was an enjoyable , very capable wagon, that could surprise many a sporty car. In fact Car and Driver magazine at the time (1989) called the Cavalier wagon equipped with the HD/performance suspension and the V6...a 'sleeper mobile' and it was that.
I gained a huge respect and appreciation for good shocks after replacing the stockers on my snowmobile with Fox high pressure gas shock. The resulting change in the ride was beyond expectations.

05-12-2021, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #88322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
But here, masonry walls are rare. One word: Earthquakes.
Ah yes, that would be a reason. Wife's friend was touring NZ South Island a few years ago and the coach left Wobbleyville just hours before the last big one. A bit close for comfort! A local farmer's son was also working on a farm in the far south of South Island at the same time as part of his see-the-world stint: I told the farmer his son shouldn't set the plough so deep....
05-12-2021, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #88323
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's a fairly short time to break even, not bad.

Do you ever have clients that complain about cost when you start with 2x6s for exterior wall design?
No, never. Because I preach to the (mostly) converted, most would not question it anyway and those that do quickly come round when they talk to others I've designed for.
In the whole wall assembly, the only additional cost is 50% more timber and 50% more insulation. The labour cost is only a tiny bit more and then there's a little extra cost for the deeper reveals around windows and doors, but even that is not significant. Of course, if it's a problem that the rooms are 50mm smaller all round, then there's a slight increase in slab / foundation / sub-floor and roof costs too, but you're generally talking less than 1.5% additional cost there.
05-12-2021, 01:32 PM - 3 Likes   #88324
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We get a few smaller shakes now and then.
All bets are off if we get another really big one in SE Missouri. The Mississippi river ran backwards for a bit.
1811?1812 New Madrid earthquakes - Wikipedia
Oops. A shake like that, in modern times, is bound to make for a bad day.

05-12-2021, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #88325
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Ah yes, that would be a reason. Wife's friend was touring NZ South Island a few years ago and the coach left Wobbleyville just hours before the last big one. A bit close for comfort! A local farmer's son was also working on a farm in the far south of South Island at the same time as part of his see-the-world stint: I told the farmer his son shouldn't set the plough so deep....
Wobbleyville! Love it! I've always felt that the earthquakes have improved the place enormously. (But I'm not supposed to say that out loud.)
05-12-2021, 02:26 PM - 3 Likes   #88326
Veteran Member

Oops. A shake like that, in modern times, is bound to make for a bad day.
There was a big one predicted in 1990 by Iben Browning.
"Browning received notoriety for his erroneous prediction that a major earthquake would occur on the New Madrid Fault around December 2 and 3, 1990. This prediction had no scientific legitimacy,[1]. 3 and was largely ignored by credentialed seismologists, who thought it would give the prediction undeserved attention if they had debunked it in public.[2]. 21 In spite of this it was widely reported in the national media, which promoted fear, anxiety, and hysteria[2]. 3 among residents of the Mississippi Valley. No earthquake occurred in that area on those dates."
05-12-2021, 02:30 PM - 4 Likes   #88327
Veteran Member

Today's PBS:

05-12-2021, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #88328
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, anyone got a K3-3? lol. Hard to believe this has went this long. I remember when ti started
05-12-2021, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #88329
dbs
Pentaxian

There was a big one predicted in 1990 by Iben Browning.
"Browning received notoriety for his erroneous prediction that a major earthquake would occur on the New Madrid Fault around December 2 and 3, 1990. This prediction had no scientific legitimacy,[1]. 3 and was largely ignored by credentialed seismologists, who thought it would give the prediction undeserved attention if they had debunked it in public.[2]. 21 In spite of this it was widely reported in the national media, which promoted fear, anxiety, and hysteria[2]. 3 among residents of the Mississippi Valley. No earthquake occurred in that area on those dates."
What about the day after ....... eh!
05-12-2021, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #88330
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
So, anyone got a K3-3? lol. Hard to believe this has went this long. I remember when ti started
Hi Voice

Umm we are 5,887 pages away from that type of question.

BACON

Dave
05-12-2021, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #88331
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today's PBS:
Ah yes. A special joy.
My other favourite is stepping on half a mouse. (That the cat brought in and lost interest in.) There's something special about cold wet mouse guts between your toes at four in the morning.
05-12-2021, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #88332
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Voice

Umm we are 5,887 pages away from that type of question.

BACON

Dave
Bacon, chees, and not hocir
05-12-2021, 05:06 PM - 3 Likes   #88333
Veteran Member

My other favourite is stepping on half a mouse. (That the cat brought in and lost interest in.) There's something special about cold wet mouse guts between your toes at four in the morning.
Another good reason to not be a cat person.
05-12-2021, 05:09 PM - 3 Likes   #88334
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Bacon, chees, and not hocir
Datsun!

05-12-2021, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #88335
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another good reason to not be a cat person.
Ouch! I've always been more of a cat person than a dog person. We have a dog and two cats.
The one thing I'll never be is a horse person.