Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #89056
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I complained about it getting too warm too fast, and now we've been rewarded with some nice days.
High of 60 F tomorrow, and 70's for a few days after. Saturday is the 17th annual Smokeday held on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.
Most members of the Weber bbq forum barbecue that day. I'm doing pork spare ribs, unboiled of course.
It was quite hot the last couple days so we left all the windows in the house open last night. It went down to 3 degrees. Since waking up the house has warmed up to a bracing 18 degrees.

hmmmm, tonight, maybe chicken wings, lightly boiled, on the barbie...not sure yet.

05-27-2021, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #89057
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Agreed but we only have crows swooping, playing, and arguing in our back yard. A very entertaining bird to watch.
No ravens?

Everyone needs a raven.
05-27-2021, 10:36 AM - 8 Likes   #89058
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Perfect for this thread
Attached Images

05-27-2021, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #89059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you Irish? My 90ish year old Great Aunt from Ireland had her Grandson kill a crow and hang it in the garden to discourage the others. It worked. Personally, I like crows.
Faith and begorra, no no not at aal. I have Celtic blood but not Irish. Crows aren’t a problem but jackdaws are: the difference between them is jackdaws are gregarious, crows are more solitary and jackdaws like masonry chimneys especially for building nests in, probably because they get better shelter from rain that way. I have known successive generations of nests making a plug of twigs more than 8 feet deep in some cases. UK law also protects them until the chicks have fledged, so better to discourage nest building from the outset.

05-27-2021, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #89060
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It was quite hot the last couple days so we left all the windows in the house open last night. It went down to 3 degrees. Since waking up the house has warmed up to a bracing 18 degrees.

hmmmm, tonight, maybe chicken wings, lightly boiled, on the barbie...not sure yet.
Boiled on the barbie?
05-27-2021, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #89061
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Perfect for this thread
See, bacon is a vegetarian food, it comes from vegetables.
05-27-2021, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #89062
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No ravens?

Everyone needs a raven.
We have a few members of the crow family out here...crows, ravens, magpies, blue jays.

I once heard a terrible squawking going on and followed the noise to the neighbour's roof. There on the roof was a large raven , two crows and a dead as a doornail gray squirrel. The raven owned that big, stiff as a board ration of rodent ...and the crows wanted to steal it. The crows were careful to not come too close to the heavy beak of the raven and one tried to divert the attention of the raven...then the other crow would attempt....unsuccessfully to steal it.

Finally the raven grabbed it's rigor mortis morsel and flew...somewhat slowly and shakily away from the crows, who proceeded to follow it , hoping it would drop it's prize.

05-27-2021, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #89063
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Perfect for this thread
Fresh vegetable are vegetables...no matter how you get them.
05-27-2021, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #89064
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Boiled on the barbie?
hehe....just joshin'
05-27-2021, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #89065
Veteran Member

Well my son and I did get into homemade Margaritas Sunday afternoon; I went to bed early. Dangerous.

And Monday, myself, my son, and a friend left the house alone to my grateful wife. We loaded up the SxS and headed into the bush. I dropped my son at a lake with our inflatable boat and electric motor where he proceeded to catch fish. My friend and I continued into the wilds of Eastern Ontario in search of Bog Elfins. I drove, he searched.

Butterflies of Ontario - Bog Elfin

That's his page BTW.

Anyway, a fun drive, explored a few more trails, marked a few more trails to be explored, Rick found his butterfly, my son caught many large fish so we went home and celebrated with a cold frosty beer. Oh, and Ms Charlac V3 was very happy for her "no boys in the house" time.

Sounds fun - great website your buddy has, and I see he has his head screwed on correctly, using a KP and 100 Macro for his shots. Not that this is photography talk, just on observation. Wouldn't want to deviate from important topics discussed here, would I?
05-27-2021, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #89066
Veteran Member

Crows/ravens - all a bloody nuisance, bothering goats, chickens, the lot. They also love to tease the dog, as they know she can't get them, but she doesn't know that...
05-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #89067
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Crows/ravens - all a bloody nuisance, bothering goats, chickens, the lot. They also love to tease the dog, as they know she can't get them, but she doesn't know that...
Well Bertwert...you're on your way tomorrow, is it ? All the best to you.
05-27-2021, 07:12 PM - 3 Likes   #89068
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Crows are pretty smart animals. Many understand a concept of trade. Our daughter would regularly find some kind of small item in her vegetable garden she had no idea from where it came. She started noticing the item was often next to a spot where some critter had raided her garden. She finally figured out the raider was a crow who 'paid' for his take with a small item the bird had picked up somewhere else.
05-27-2021, 07:14 PM - 3 Likes   #89069
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well Bertwert...you're on your way tomorrow, is it ? All the best to you.
Actually flight leaves on Saturday, so I'm around tomorrow, maybe I should start thinking of packing?

Thanks! I'm sure it will prove to be a great time after it's all done.
05-27-2021, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #89070
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Actually flight leaves on Saturday, so I'm around tomorrow, maybe I should start thinking of packing?

Thanks! I'm sure it will prove to be a great time after it's all done.
You're welcome. Something you'll never forget in your life.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »