Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2021, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #89116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Go Cards, eh?
Yes sir!
I hit the sack pretty early, and they're on the left coast for 3 games against the Dodgers.
We're currently in 1st place in our division, but not by much.

Last edited by robtcorl; 05-31-2021 at 10:51 AM.
05-31-2021, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #89117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One thing that drives me nuts on new vehicles is the display on the information screen...right there to the right of me on the dashboard that pops up all of a sudden, has a message that says taking your eye's off the road is dangerous. It is, so why put that bit of lawyerspeak right in front of you that comes on while your driving.

If I'm driving alone and me cell phone chirps, I ignore it while driving. If I'm expecting an important call, I'll drive till I can find a safe place to pull over and check out who called me. In our province our legislation says you can't drive and have a phone in your hand, you can talk on the phone if it's not handheld . And the penalties are severe, as there have been many anaccident due to talking on the phone while driving. I recall reading some provincial stats that indicated there are more accidents in my province from talking on the cell, then there are from DUI.

I have the stuff in my vehicle where I could speak on the phone through the vehicle and not hand hold a phone, but I don't have it set up.

I recall the first time I spoke on a cell phone in a vehicle. I was the... passenger in my SIL's new Toyota.

She gave me her cell phone and asked me to phone her parents and we were driving over there to show them her new car. I phoned them and was only on the phone for a short time, but during that time, it was as if that 5 minutes had 'disappeared'....from my life.

I tend to concentrate wholly when on the phone, oblivious to all else. For me, talking on a cell phone while driving would not be safe. I know it, and so I don't do it.

When I'm driving , I'm driving, and I have to admit...I'm a very aware driver, scanning for poor drivers, if dicey situations come up, I quickly scan for escape 'routes' , etc. I really enjoy driving and I really concentrate on driving.

Think it comes from my days riding motorcycles...where you have to ride defensively as you don't have that any sheet metal around you...also from driving commercial trucks...I found in these cases...I had to constantly not just ride/drive for myself, but drive and compensate for other so called 'drivers' poor driving.

Which I still do, in our family truckster...our large Chevy SUV. I have no problemo talking to other passengers when I'm driving, but for some reason, put me on a phone and I find I'm not comfortable and not concentrating as much as I usually do. So, I just don't use the phone while I'm in the driver's seat.
Most of the communication I receive is in the form of a text. Luckily, both our vehicles have text to voice capability so a quick touch of the screen commands the computers to read the text to me. Handy. If important, I can pull over and deal with it or just call the sender. My Tacoma can go one step further with it's capability to interface with Android Auto. Everything is then done with voice commands.
05-31-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #89118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Most of the communication I receive is in the form of a text. Luckily, both our vehicles have text to voice capability so a quick touch of the screen commands the computers to read the text to me. Handy. If important, I can pull over and deal with it or just call the sender. My Tacoma can go one step further with it's capability to interface with Android Auto. Everything is then done with voice commands.
I don't have much of a clue what our vehicle can do. I've never been very good with modern electronics. Fortunately for me, my wife is pretty good at figuring these things out.
05-31-2021, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #89119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Some of us old farts had to walk a mile to and from school and it was uphill both ways.
Actually it was 2.5 miles each way for me but yes it was uphill both ways as the school was on the opposite side of a ridge or hillside that ran between home and school. The slope coming from school was steeper than the one going to school so it always seemed to be more of a toil going home. Of course being tired after a long day at school probably didn't help either!

05-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #89120
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Actually flight leaves on Saturday, so I'm around tomorrow, maybe I should start thinking of packing?

Thanks! I'm sure it will prove to be a great time after it's all done.
Good luck young man!
06-01-2021, 05:00 AM - 4 Likes   #89121
Veteran Member

I'm in pain this morning...........hunger pains that is. I have to fast until after my scan at 10:30.
Put in a request for Mrs Bob to not cook bacon for her breakfast this morning.
06-01-2021, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #89122
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Hang in there, Bob. You'll make it.

06-01-2021, 08:06 AM   #89123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I'm in pain this morning...........hunger pains that is. I have to fast until after my scan at 10:30.
Put in a request for Mrs Bob to not cook bacon for her breakfast this morning.
By now you've made it. Oops, sorry - you are on Central Daylight Time ... you have longer to wait.
06-01-2021, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #89124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you drive from Livingston. Montana down to Yellowstone National Park there are places where you have the impression you are driving down hill yet the Yellowstone river next to the road is flowing in the opposite direction.
06-01-2021, 08:59 AM - 4 Likes   #89125
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

06-01-2021, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #89126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the one, Jim! There's a layby (parking area) part way along the hill that had a sign describing the illusion: it was replaced several times as people kept stealing it. The last replacement is a sizeable chunk of granite with the description engraved thereon – no-one's managed to pinch that!

06-01-2021, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #89127
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Truth.
Attached Images

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-01-2021 at 01:09 PM.
06-01-2021, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #89128
Veteran Member

I did survive! We had fried cod sandwiches and fries between my scan and seeing the oncologist.
Another good report, no further shrinkage in my tumor, but it's still smaller than before starting the miracle drug.
No progression is always good news.
I just hope the two 450 ml bottles of barium I had to drink don't plug up the plumbing tomorrow.
06-01-2021, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #89129
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I just hope the two 450 ml bottles of barium I had to drink don't plug up the plumbing tomorrow.
I had some work done a few years back, and had to drink a barium milkshake.

The next day the barium log clunked so heavily into the bowl that I thought it would break the darned thing.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-02-2021 at 06:40 PM.
06-01-2021, 04:19 PM - 3 Likes   #89130
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of us old farts had to walk a mile to and from school and it was uphill both ways.

Of course, you were lucky.