Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2021, 08:34 AM - 3 Likes   #89191
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Did that guy live in Pierre, South Dakota?
My thoughts too, but I think the guy lived back east somewhere.

I see Pierre is supposed to hit 100F today and tomorrow, Yikes!!
Just put your ribs on the grill, no boiling or fuel required.

06-04-2021, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #89192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I remember that style.
As I recall there was a lot of cheap, made in Pakistan, knockoffs. I might've even owned one.
Yep, always an issue, buying cheap, knock offs. I used to do that, 40-50 years ago, figuring a tool is a tool...what is the difference where it is made, why not save some bucks, etc. I learned through the school of hard knocks that buy a top brand, you get what you pay for and even good brands will be on sale...so buy then.

My cheap knock off stuff, never lasted, broke easily, or the tolerances on cheapie wrenches etc...were not exact or tight, and I ended up rounding off bolts, etc.
06-04-2021, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #89193
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Typically the actual temps on any given day in the Summer are 8-12 degrees higher than forecast. Local foreguessers are saying 99 for today but considering how much they missed yesterday's by I'd expect at least 110.
06-04-2021, 08:49 AM - 4 Likes   #89194
Veteran Member

This thread is beginning to look like an online meeting of the 'Knife Owners Anonymous' group (I had thought of using KOA but I think that acronym is already taken! )

Like many on here I've had a fascination with knives since my pre-teen years and currently have several single blades, several Swiss style multi-blades and several multi-tools, all by different manufacturers/suppliers from dollar store specials to well known brands. Some have seen little use while others have become favourites over the years. Some live in my desk drawer close to hand but may move to other locations if a new knife replaces them as my 'go to'.

My current 'go to' knife is one I really like and in fact it's been a while since I have liked a knife as much as this one. It fits my hand well, the satin finish is very smooth and silky, has a nice balance, opens easily with a positive lock and the blade holds an edge for a long time regardless of what it has been cutting. Talking of locks this is the first knife I've owned that utilizes a 'frame lock' and it is very smooth to operate and locks solidly.

I picked it up just before Xmas last year as a gift to myself when I spotted it in our local Walmart's hunting section on sale for a ridiculously low price (around $15 CAD IIRC). This is the knife in question:

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/knives/folding/paraframe-i-stainless-plain-edge-22-48444

The price above is in US dollars which works out to roughly $32.64 CAD at current exchange rates. I liked it so much I started wearing it on my belt whenever I went outside or to the stores and I haven't carried a knife like that for years but the Covid-19 restrictions and lock-downs here in Ontario, Canada meant that I have rarely left the house since mid March so it's gathering dust in the desk drawer again and only used to open letters or Amazon boxes!

06-04-2021, 08:52 AM - 4 Likes   #89195
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Yep, always an issue, buying cheap, knock offs. I used to do that, 40-50 years ago, figuring a tool is a tool...what is the difference where it is made, why not save some bucks, etc. I learned through the school of hard knocks that buy a top brand, you get what you pay for and even good brands will be on sale...so buy then.

My cheap knock off stuff, never lasted, broke easily, or the tolerances on cheapie wrenches etc...were not exact or tight, and I ended up rounding off bolts, etc.
I have never bought anything of high quality and later thought "gee, I wish I'd bought cheap crap instead".
The reverse has happened a few times though.
06-04-2021, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #89196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have 3 Buck 110s. If I were a bit smarter I'd have 4. I have a regular production, a South Dakota Centennial and a Damascus.
In 1991 or 92, we went to Sioux Falls to do some shopping and it just happened to be my birthday. Sheels (a regional sporting goods chain a la Cabela's) had two 110 Damascus blade on close out for $80.00. One with red bone scales and one with brown. I bought the red bone. I wasn't smart enough to buy them both.

Did you know you can order one customized from their custom shop? https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife/customizable-110-folding-hunter-reg-knife/CKS110/

Damascus ....I always have liked that. Thx for the link, didn't realize you could get a custom knife from Buck.

I've made some purchases that I came to regret later. I was at a swap meet about 10 years ago. A guy was selling two sets of Chevy 409 valve covers. One pair were off an old '65 Chevy C80 transport truck, that made many a run across the prairies in it's working life. They are beat up, dented, paint rubbed off...I bought them, because they were thirty bucks cheaper than the other 409 valve cover set....which were pristine, off a '63 Hi performance Chevy sedan.

The truck 409 valve covers are in a place of honor on my garage wall. However I've been kicking myself ever since I didn't buy the pristine covers...why oh why didn't I buy the truck and car valve covers way back when..is my continual lament.

For those who don't know about the 409 high performance Chevy engine, here are the Beach Boys to provide an intro to this engine.

A one an a two...or is that the lead off to songs, used by Lawrence Welk...

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...hRyrRDlsN1U5Uh
06-04-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #89197
Pentaxian

I have never bought anything of high quality and later thought "gee, I wish I'd bought cheap crap instead".
The reverse has happened a few times though.
Same here. I don't ever regret buying my Black + Decker Industrial drill, that I bought 35 years ago. It may be a drill designed for carpenters and locksmiths, but the heavy duty quality has never let me down in those decades of use. Thirty five years ago it was 4-5 times the price of a cheap Black + Decker consumer drill, those lasted about 18 months on average for me...so I figure my Industrial drill has saved me money in the long run...and a lot of frustration...as it doesn't (touch wood) break down.

06-04-2021, 09:15 AM - 5 Likes   #89198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My thoughts too, but I think the guy lived back east somewhere.

Just put your ribs on the grill, no boiling or fuel required.
Getting warm up here too. So ribs it is . Bought a new Weber charcoal grill ready to go. (Already have done a couple of quicker meals today is low slow ribs (going to start soon)
Been busy here getting ready to slowly reopen at work so have let photo life slide a bit. Also prepping a kitchen Reno

I will have some time today to go through all the posts I have missed
Attached Images

06-04-2021, 09:18 AM - 5 Likes   #89199
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the Swiss Army Knife drawer of my knife chest and a closeup of the Swisschamp XAVT.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-04-2021, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #89200
Veteran Member

You'd need a photo-vest with 200+ pockets to carry all that lot at once!
06-04-2021, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #89201
Veteran Member

I was at a swap meet about 10 years ago. A guy was selling two sets of Chevy 409 valve covers.
Leave it to Bob two to change the topic from knives to vehicles.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Bought a new Weber charcoal grill ready to go.
Nice grill!
I have a Weber Performer purchased used in 2009 and it still looks and cooks like a champ.
06-04-2021, 10:17 AM - 3 Likes   #89202
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

Buy a high quality and expensive tool, cuss it once, when you pay for it.

Buy a poor quality and cheap tool, cuss it every time you use it.

Quality isn’t expensive, its priceless.
06-04-2021, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #89203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...and a closeup of the Swisschamp XAVT.
Otherwise known as the PocketBreaker! Having that tool on it that extracts horses’ hoofs from stones is terribly handy, but even the XAVT doesn’t have a full set of JIS screwdrivers. Bother.
06-04-2021, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #89204
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, it does have its shortcomings. There's no pipe wrench or fencing tool either.
On the plus side, the electronics include digital watch, countdown timer, altimeter. barometer, thermometer, and an alarm. (really)

Last edited by Parallax; 06-04-2021 at 02:15 PM.
06-04-2021, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #89205
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, it does have its shortcomings. There's no pipe wrench of fencing tool either.
On the plus side, the electronics include digital watch, countdown timer, altimeter. barometer, thermometer, and an alarm. (really)
Is the alarm for when it is about to break your pocket, so you do not lose it?