06-05-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #89251
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whatever.

06-05-2021, 03:04 PM - 3 Likes   #89252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
For kitchen knives all I have of theirs is a bread knife, a paring knife and a set of steak knives.

Victorinox has been around since 1884. For years they've been buying their blade steel from Bonpertuis in France. They've been in business for nearly 700 600 years.
Between the two of them they have the experience to know how to make a good knife.

Being the history buff that I am, I'm always interested in the early history of old companies. Two that pop into my mind are Husqvarna and Beretta.

I've followed Husqvarna since the late '60's mostly because of their motorcycles. The company itself was founded in 1689. No, they didn't make motorcycles right off the hop. They initially started making muskets.

Husqvarna Vapenfabrik - Wikipedia

The other old company, was Beretta, which first made barrels for arquebus weapons.

Arquebus - Wikipedia

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...-WZ6qWCULhOmNX
06-05-2021, 03:37 PM - 3 Likes   #89253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Beretta
My pocket carry, before getting the Ruger .380 LCP, was a Beretta Jetfire .25 auto.

Ruger:

06-05-2021, 03:55 PM - 3 Likes   #89254
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My pocket carry, before getting the Ruger .380 LCP, was a Beretta Jetfire .25 auto.
I have a 950BS (appropriate, No? ) it's the same gun but .22 Short rather than .25 ACP.
My pocket carry is a Smith & Wesson 642.

06-05-2021, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #89255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

Ruger:
Nice looking. Both very good names.

Awhile ago, I was thinking of getting a rifle for casual target shooting.
CZ 457 Training Rifle | CZ-USA

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...juni1B3DFyP0FB

I like the CZ line. When our son was young and into air rifle/ air pistol pellet target shooting, I picked up a CZ air rifle for myself . It was a sport we participated in together. I've always been a CZ fan, used to ride their motorcycles when I was young in the '60's.

Redirect Notice

I didn't ride the racing CZ motorcycles as pictured, in # 8. I rode street and on/off road CZ's back then.
06-05-2021, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #89256
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Awhile ago, I was thinking of getting a rifle for casual target shooting.
CZ 457 Training Rifle | CZ-USA
This is getting weird. I have only three long guns and that's one of them. I've had it for 2-3 years now and only had it to the range once. I'm just not much of a rifle guy, but some just appeal to me.
CZ Rifles and pistols are absolute top quality guns. Stay away from CZ shotguns. They aren't manufactured by CZ. They are contracted to a manufacturer in Turkey. We will not stock ANY Turkish manufactured shotguns. They aren't unsafe but they're junk.
06-05-2021, 05:40 PM - 3 Likes   #89257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Glock 42 .380ACP
I'm fully licensed for concealed carry. But - I don't carry in normal situations. I acquired my handgun prior to losing our old golden retriever. We live in a rural area with black bears (not too worried there), coyotes, gray wolves and the occasional cougar. It would be a rather unusual and interesting day for any of those critters to charge an adult human who knows better than to pursue or corner one, but an old dog? Michigan law says open carry (no license required) means the handgun may be in a holster, but the entire holster and the gun grips must be visible. No insult to our northern neighbors, but wearing the holster over my jacket Mounty style isn't my style for a walk in the fields and woods.

So I followed Michigan's process to acquire my concealed pistol permit. My license is recognized in 48 States, so I also can safely ignore the Federal Firearm Transportation regulations and have both the gun and ammunition in the same field bag in my car on my way to the practice range.

We lost our old golden to old age. But we got another one. He is now almost two years old and somedays I wonder if he actually has a brain (goldens are known to mature slowly). I ALWAYS walk him on a leash while we winter in rural Texas. I can draw fast enough for a coyote, but he would be dead from a rattlesnake before my brain thought Holy S---!

---------- Post added 06-05-21 at 09:02 PM ----------

A follow-on cute story... One of my wife's cousins (generation older than us) was a Minnesota State Trooper who was on the competitive shooting team. He taught me how to shoot with a handgun.

Part of the process in obtaining a Michigan Concealed Pistol Permit is demonstrating you actually know how to shoot a pistol. The instructor had a mini-range in his backyard (as mentioned, this is a rural area). He used 3 picnic paper plates at 21 feet (not quite 7 meters) and students took turns demonstrating their ability to hit the series of paper plates in several shooting poses. Most of my fellow students were former military, including my son who had his expert marksman badge (including the 9mm Beretta) and was frequently a range master. I was the old fart in the group and went last. We used the instructors very nicely balanced .22 target gun.

I watched my fellow students trying way too hard to aim this pistol at paper plates I could have hit with a pea shooter. As a result they missed way too often. You didn't have to make a bullseye, just hit the darned plate. I stepped up relaxed and casually aimed getting a feel for the balance and trigger pressure. One shot. Nice. Minimal kick. The next 9 shots I pointed, let the gun kick up and as it fell back with the plate in the sights I just had to increase trigger pressure slightly. Maybe 12 seconds and I was done. Groupings inside the 7-8 ring if there had been any.

With the empty clip, I turned back to look at the other students and saw a bunch of dropped jaws. "I may have had a little more practice than you young fellows." The instructor tried not to laugh.

Attached Images

06-05-2021, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #89258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This is getting weird. I have only three long guns and that's one of them. I've had it for 2-3 years now and only had it to the range once. I'm just not much of a rifle guy, but some just appeal to me.
CZ Rifles and pistols are absolute top quality guns. Stay away from CZ shotguns. They aren't manufactured by CZ. They are contracted to a manufacturer in Turkey. We will not stock ANY Turkish manufactured shotguns. They aren't unsafe but they're junk.
Funny world we live in.

I have a buddy who a few years ago got into target shooting. He joined a gun club and was new to rifles . He asked me what I would recommend. I told him that although I have done some target shooting over the years, I wasn't an expert on rifles. I suggested he check out CZ rifles, as I had heard / read that they made fine arms. One model I was interested myself at the time, was the CZ 452, which I think has been replaced by the 457.

He went to a couple of gun shops, talked with different guys and chose a CZ 452. He has been very happy with it, impressed with it's accuracy. He also shoots a Canon.

When my son was target shooting we, got him a pellet pistol and a pellet rifle. As mentioned before to participate with him in this sport, I bought a CZ pellet rifle. We would swap rifles every so often and invariably both of us found the CZ more accurate.

In fact I was surprised when I first opened up the factory shipping packaging box, the CZ came in. There was a paper target with about 6 closely grouped shots, enclosed. The CZ had been factory tested at a range, and the results were packed in with the air rifle. I was impressed that they did this. We have two other pellet guns from different manufacturers, and they did not do this.
06-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #89259
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am glad I have always lived in places where the others around are civilised enough I have never felt a desire to spend money on firearms of any type nor ammunition for same. All the ammunition I have ever used was supplied by the government of the country where I used it and the use happened at their sites supervised by their appointed range supervisors.
06-06-2021, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #89260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@JimJohnson’s explanation is the first time I’ve read a justification for a handgun that made sense to me: just glad we don’t have wildlife like that to contend with while walking our whippets in the UK. I like being able to let them run free where appropriate, two of them running at full tilt is a joy to behold.
06-06-2021, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #89261
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I am glad I have always lived in places where the others around are civilised enough I have never felt a desire to spend money on firearms of any type nor ammunition for same. All the ammunition I have ever used was supplied by the government of the country where I used it and the use happened at their sites supervised by their appointed range supervisors.
Different cultures Tim.

I grew up around guns. My dad, uncles and both grandfathers all had and used them. My mother's family were Nebraska farmers, and Nebraska has rattlesnakes. You never go I to the fields without a sidearm or a rifle. My father's family were loggers in Oregon. The forests in the mountains have cougars and bears, and again, one never goes into the woods without a means to dispatch a hungry animal that views humans as a tasty snack. Both sides of the family also hunt deer and elk, to put food in the freezer. Elk is my favourite game meat.

My first gun was a 16 gage single shot breech load shotgun, my dad gave me for my 10th birthday. I still have it.

Since then I have acquired a nice collection of rifles and pistols, and enjoy target shooting, and occasionally hunting. Living in the Pacific Northwest I also do a fair amount of hiking, and never go into the woods without my stainless steel Ruger 357 magnum Security Six on my hip.

I don't have guns to engage in criminal behaviour, I have guns as tools of safety and tools for survival.
06-06-2021, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #89262
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I grew up aware of people on farms having long firearms, for hunting vermin such as Roos. People I knew who needed to protect themselves from snakes always used heavy fence wire bent to give a reasonable handle. You need to be an exceptional shot to reliably shoot a snake in a face to face.

Here in UK the requirements for storing weapons are so stringent, including needing to have an inspection of your compliant storage cabinet before purchase of a firearm, that I know people who store their firearms at already compliant locations such as at the armoury of a military base. Requires forward planning of your day at the range or hunting.
06-06-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #89263
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggested he check out CZ rifles, as I had heard / read that they made fine arms. One model I was interested myself at the time, was the CZ 452, which I think has been replaced by the 457.
Yep, the 457 is the current. There was a 455 between the 452 and 457. There are several configurations within the line. The big difference between the 457 the previous is the 457s have a shorter bolt throw and an American type safety.
Long range rimfire has become popular around here. Targets out to 200 yds. The match winner is usually one of 4 or 5 people. All of them shoot either CZ or Tikka. The SK match ammo is one of the most accurate but at over $10.00 a box (of 50) it's one of the most expensive.
06-06-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #89264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You need to be an exceptional shot to reliably shoot a snake in a face to face.
Not if you use snake shot.
I still have a few magnum rounds for my H&R model 650 22LR/22magnum revolver. They do put the hurts on (poisonous) snakes.
06-06-2021, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #89265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
@JimJohnson’s explanation is the first time I’ve read a justification for a handgun that made sense to me: just glad we don’t have wildlife like that to contend with while walking our whippets in the UK. I like being able to let them run free where appropriate, two of them running at full tilt is a joy to behold.
Quite different in the UK. I have cousins who live in the UK, have visited the UK a number of times and it quite different. And BTW... quite lovely. I do love to visit the UK, one of the lands of my forebears ...the history, the pomp and the circumstance...the old buildings, etc.

But back to differences. I live in western Canada.....lot of boreal forest, northern tundra, prairie, farms, ranches, a few cities....lots of wide open space. Cold snowy winters, hot summers, beautiful falls , green springs.

A few years ago, 25 miles from the city (3/4 of a million pop.) that I live, a large timber (Grey) wolf was trapped. It was 179 pounds, and 7 ' 9" from tip of the tail to tip of the nose. It was in a provincial park...pets, etc. were going missing. It was a lone wolf, which is unusual. Normally wolves aren't in the south of our province, where this wolf was trapped. But there are lots of wolves from mid province to the northern part .

We also have a few cougars, coyotes, lots of black bears, a lot of polar bears (extreme north) and some Barren Land grizzly bears. Moose, elk, caribou, Canadian Lynx, bobcat...wolverine. I've had the rare pleasure of seeing a wolverine in in the Canadian Shield about 100 miles from where I live. Fortunately the wolverine was on land and my family and I were in our freighter canoe on a pristine , clear and deep lake. In my part of Canada, it is a different place and different wildlife than the UK has...

Talking about whippets, we don't have many out here. But a family member has a sled dog type from Northern Canada and the vet said he has Siberian Husky and some Greyhound , along with other breeds as part of his DNA. To watch him run is a treat...he 'explodes' off the line, his speed is exceptional and his endurance to keep on running is phenomenal. Long, strong legs, deep chest, large lungs...all muscle, double coat, and he loves pumpkin flavoured dog biscuits.