Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2021, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #89386
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think you're right about the origin of the name. Another name that comes from Latin is Volvo. My Swedish '62 Volvo PV544s (B18 twin carb engine) in 1970. Volvo is Latin for 'I roll' .
Sometimes my old Volvo failed to proceed, but usually I could get it to 'roll' again with a push start. The battery was poor.

Even though I haven't had a Czech vehicle since the 1960's, I do remember the brand names of some of the components. The electrical stuff was made by PAL, the carburetors were Jikov, the tires were Barum. Never had any issues with any of those brands.
So that is why they needed to go to such effort to make them safe. They rolled so often.

06-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #89387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As in "you go catch a bus", "you go call a cab", or "you go out and buy some good walking shoes".
No, no. no!! The badge on the back (before it fell off) said YUGO by Zastava and the guy in the car behind said and I go by train.
06-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #89388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
In Texas its all. No, not the everything all, all, the stuff that goes in your engine to lubricate it.

All. 10W-30. By the quart.
It comes from the Guff.
06-10-2021, 12:12 PM - 5 Likes   #89389
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
It comes from the Guff.
That's right. I once played a round of goff at a course that was right on the guff.

I can make fun uf da vay dem Texans talk because vee don't haf any speech idiosyncracies in dis part uf da country; dontchaknow.

06-10-2021, 12:17 PM - 3 Likes   #89390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Volvo was a different beast compared to Racer's Volvos. ...
Car magazine in the UK used to have a section at the back called The Good, the Bad and the Ugly which had brief descriptions of new cars for sale in the UK, with points for and against and a summary. I forget which import was summarised "As flash as a rat with a gold tooth" but the Volvo 240 had points For: everlasting and Against: everlasting.

Guess which 30-year-old can of washers was holding up traffic at 41mph the other day? A 240 Torslanda estate, with original full-length stripes ...
06-10-2021, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #89391
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So that is why they needed to go to such effort to make them safe. They rolled so often.
My '62 PV544s was quite safe for a car of it's time. It had a padded dash, it also had wonderful seat...and...harness belts. No other car that is a '62 that I've seen, had shoulder harness belts, and these shoulder harness belts were like something out of an old fighter jet. Very strong, robust. Effective.

The car itself had if memory serves me correct an American Spicer drive differential . The engine had big crankshaft bearings, twin SU carburetors, very solid engine block, a wonderful quick shifter and a solid, 4 speed manual transmission. Someone back then told me the transmission was a Borg Warner. I dunno. Brakes were just drums, but good sized for the weight of the car and in hard driving, I never did get them to fade. They were good.

The reason I bought it, was because in the '50's and '60's Volvo had a very good reputation in International rallying and SCCA (Sports Car Club of America ) sports car racing. It was odd, here was a 2 door sedan (PV544s) that could hold it's own with stock sports cars in amateur road racing.

As far as get up and go, went, for a 4 banger, it was relatively quick. Usually about par, or not too far behind a full size domestic sedan with a small, 2 barrel carb V8. Handling was great. It did roll a bit in corners but it's grip on the road...was...well I would describe it as tenacious and I would really flog it in the corners, and on the straights, for that matter. I was 20, eh..... ...so I did like to drive it quickly.
06-10-2021, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #89392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Car magazine in the UK used to have a section at the back called The Good, the Bad and the Ugly which had brief descriptions of new cars for sale in the UK, with points for and against and a summary. I forget which import was summarised "As flash as a rat with a gold tooth" but the Volvo 240 had points For: everlasting and Against: everlasting.

Guess which 30-year-old can of washers was holding up traffic at 41mph the other day? A 240 Torslanda estate, with original full-length stripes ...
I liked the 240 also, not as much though as the PV544 sport. My dream Volvo 240 would be a wagon, manual transmission, beefed up suspension, enlarged wheels/tires/cooling system and a Chevy LS V8. Keep it stock looking, well muffled...a sleepermobile.

06-10-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #89393
Pentaxian

That's right. I once played a round of goff at a course that was right on the guff.

I can make fun uf da vay dem Texans talk because vee don't haf any speech idiosyncracies in dis part uf da country; dontchaknow.
Quite right. When I was a kid who spent his summers in northern Minnesota....after my first month, I began to think that Scandinavian influenced , Northern Minnesota speech was normal.

Oofta !
06-10-2021, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #89394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
]
Oofta !
That must be Canadian spelling. The current spelling is Uffta! And about as translatable as the Yiddish Oy Vey!
06-10-2021, 06:01 PM - 5 Likes   #89395
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Oofta !
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
That must be Canadian spelling. The current spelling is Uffta!
Sorry, but you're both wrong. It's spelled with a d, not a t, and it's two words. Uff da.
06-10-2021, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #89396
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
That must be Canadian spelling. The current spelling is Uffta! And about as translatable as the Yiddish Oy Vey!

I'm not sure if 'oofta ' is the Canadian spelling....

As you know, Canadian spelling is based on the British system, and chiefly that involves throwing an extra 'u' in here and there, in different words.

As such, the current spelling you have provided...has that extra 'u'...as per Uffta. That looks awfully Canuckian to me.
06-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #89397
Pentaxian

Sorry, but you're both wrong. It's spelled with a d, not a t, and it's two words. Uff da.
You could be right. I sort of remember that Minnesotans saying this...usually said it as two words.
06-10-2021, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #89398
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
With all the information he gathers, do the local authorities actually make arrests?
I understand that parts of Inda is so corrupt that arrests seldom happen, or, when they do, that your call centre has not greased the correct palms quite enough.
06-10-2021, 07:12 PM - 5 Likes   #89399
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if 'oofta ' is the Canadian spelling....

As you know, Canadian spelling is based on the British system, and chiefly that involves throwing an extra 'u' in here and there, in different words.

As such, the current spelling you have provided...has that extra 'u'...as per Uffta. That looks awfully Canuckian to me.
If it was the Canadian version of Uff da or Uffta it would be "Sorry".
06-10-2021, 08:16 PM - 3 Likes   #89400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If it was the Canadian version of Uff da or Uffta it would be "Sorry".
Hey, hey, hey if it was Canadian it would be "Sorry, eh!"