Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2021, 02:59 AM   #90706
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Speaking of coleslaw: Have you ever tried a coleslaw and chocolate sauce sandwich?
No. Should I?

07-19-2021, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #90707
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
No. Should I?
For sure. Let me know if you like it.
07-19-2021, 04:28 AM - 2 Likes   #90708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ughhh, yes! You're right. On my short list of things I definitively don't eat. Others are tripe, oxtail and porridge of any description, insects (except for those ingested involuntarily while cycling), tongue, spiders, worms, rats, bats, dogs and cats.
Oh, and Subway.
You’ve never cooked and pressed a tongue? A proper, full-size beef tongue? And it simply must be pressed, in a glass bowl with a saucer on top, wedged tight so the jelly sets perfectly around the meat? You really ought to try it: when released the pressed tongue slides beautifully from the bowl straight into the bin. No, I don’t like it either, and it’s not for want of trying.

I suppose it’s a delicacy, like kiviak or pig’s trotters.
07-19-2021, 04:47 AM - 4 Likes   #90709
Veteran Member

Speaking of odd foods, if we're still on that page,
I smoked a block of cream cheese along with some bacon strips yesterday.
Sprinkled with bbq rub, low temp smoked for 2.5 hrs.
Tasty stuff on a cracker and in my baked potato with dinner.

07-19-2021, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #90710
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What does Pierre have? A goose problem and supply chain issues keeping premade coleslaw from tantalising Jim's taste buds.
That about covers it.

Speaking of coleslaw: Have you ever tried a coleslaw and chocolate sauce sandwich?
No, and I don't foresee trying one in the future. YUK!
07-19-2021, 05:05 AM - 4 Likes   #90711
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A work colleague years ago packed sandwiches for his lunch - every day - made with peanut butter and salad cream. He claimed it was wonderful.
My mother used to eat peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. I remember trying a bite once when I was a kid and I actually gagged on it.
07-19-2021, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #90712
Veteran Member

My wife loves peanut butter with just about everything.
Youngest son likes a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in his bowl of chili.
I like peanut butter, honey, and sliced banana on toasted Eggos.
For an Elvis sandwich vibe, I'll add some bacon too.

07-19-2021, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #90713
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You’ve never cooked and pressed a tongue? A proper, full-size beef tongue? And it simply must be pressed, in a glass bowl with a saucer on top, wedged tight so the jelly sets perfectly around the meat? You really ought to try it: when released the pressed tongue slides beautifully from the bowl straight into the bin. No, I don’t like it either, and it’s not for want of trying.

I suppose it’s a delicacy, like kiviak or pig’s trotters.
Hahahaha. Brilliant. A bit like my Tofu recipe: Fry the tofu in a bit of extra virgin olive oil. When done, empty into bin. Clean frying pan. Fry bacon.
07-19-2021, 07:53 AM - 7 Likes   #90714
Veteran Member

07-19-2021, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #90715
Veteran Member

Pierre has one grocery store and it sounds like the UK has a choice between two main chains.
Guess we're blessed with several choices. Living near, but not in, a big city has its advantages,

I was at one of ours today and on the bargain shelf was some Four Sons raspberry blossom honey marked down from $6.99 to $3.
Never heard of it, but can't past up a deal like that. Honey pretty much keeps forever, this has a best by date of Nov, 2022.
Haven't tried it yet, but it's interesting that it's from eastern Canada, and bottled in Missouri.
Four Sons Raspberry Blossom Single Source Honey | Missouri Made Food, Gifts, Gift Baskets. All made in Missouri
07-19-2021, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #90716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had ‘em barbecued, but it always seemed a barbarous way to treat a succulent cob. Much better boiled (just enough) and buttered.

I did come across one chap who sent his back to be boiled more, against advice: the lumps of yellow wood resulting were grievous to behold, and even worse to eat.
BBQed with the husks still on is a nice way to cook them. Kind of steams them retaining all the flavour lost in the boiling water.
07-19-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #90717
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Corn on the cob. Buttered with salt and pepper. A universal culinary treat in any language, in any country.

It is the common thread that binds us all together.
And bacon, the other thread that binds us
07-19-2021, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #90718
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
When buying anything that might expire soon, I dig towards the back. Stockers usually move older stock to the front.
We've had milk a week or more past the "bet by" date and it's been fine, sniff first though.
Wonder if Canuckian milk in a bag lasts longer? Seems like it would if the milk stays in a more or less vacuum.
In Switzerland we could buy milk in a carton that did not need to be refrigerated until opened. I actually found that it tasted better than homogenized.
07-19-2021, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #90719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is not only horrifying but a terrible waste of chocolate sauce!
07-19-2021, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #90720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
In Switzerland we could buy milk in a carton that did not need to be refrigerated until opened. I actually found that it tasted better than homogenized.
We also have that. I think it would make more sense for us to buy that as I quite often look in the fridge and find milk from a month ago .