Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #90796
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Did that save you taking the dog home?
Had to, didn't have a cooler for the left over hot dogs.

07-20-2021, 09:44 PM - 5 Likes   #90797
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
.....I had a '67 RS coupe, 327 V8, 4 speed Muncie.
And that just gave me a thought. (I did not say that it was a good through, a clever thought, or even a practical thought (heaven forbid))

And, then, of course, I googled to see if someone else had done it and it seems............... Not. (Can't imagine why)

But I just had the idea that it would be fun to build a mobility scooter with a V8. How hard could it be?

I did find this, but it's not a V8:

They did manage 180km/h (112mph) though. Not bad.
07-20-2021, 09:53 PM - 4 Likes   #90798
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, properly down the rabbit hole now.....

I want one!
07-21-2021, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #90799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ughhh, yes! You're right. On my short list of things I definitively don't eat. Others are tripe, oxtail and porridge of any description, insects (except for those ingested involuntarily while cycling), tongue, spiders, worms, rats, bats, dogs and cats.
Oh, and Subway.
I'm guessing that you've tried them and decided "NO" from experience.

Tripe is brilliant if cooked properly. Cantonese dim sum restaurants do it right. English style - no thanks.
Oxtail is brilliant. If you can handle osso bucco or lamb shanks, then oxtail isn't a problem.
Porridge is wonderful, even if you do the low fat version without the lashings of butter. Use rolled oats, not quick oats or 5 minute oats.
Insects? No thanks.
Tongue is fine. If you have it straight from the tin, the roughness on the surface of the tongue can feel a bit strange in your mouth. It still tastes good.
Spiders, etc. No thanks.
Kangaroo is good. A bit gamey, perhaps.
Brains taste good, but I stopped eating them in the Great Cholesterol Scare of the 1980s.
Snails? Yum.
Frog's Legs? Yum.
Bananas? Projectile vomit material for me.

07-21-2021, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #90800
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Australia has a choice of two: Cole’s and Woolies.
You forgot IGA! Most people do. We had a really good one when we lived just off Toorak Rd near Warrigal Rd in Camberwell, VIC. We also had the Hartwell Leo's just down Toorak Rd. Leo's has really good food. You want a choice from 11 different brands of Spanish sardines? 20 or 30 different varieties of coffee beans that you can take whole or grind yourself? A cheese area with two full-time experts to serve you? A meat area that has birds from geese to quails?
07-21-2021, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #90801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
It's been a while, eh Tim?
Aldi is everywhere now.
We still have plenty of IGA (Independent Grocers - but have the appearance of a chain)
Foodland and Foodworks still struggle on.

For sales, Coles and Woolworths outstrip the rest by a long way; for satisfaction not so much - they are at the very bottom of the pile.
Do you have the big Coles and Woolies in Wangaratta? We have the small ones and their stock is limited. Aisles of junk food and the fresh fruit and veggie are not all that good. There are no greengrocers here, but we have a few independent fruit and veggie sellers that work from stalls on the side of the road. We also have an avocado farm, a peach orchard, an oyster farm, a free range egg farm, all with door sales in season. They're good. We do have independent butchers and fishmongers. The deprivations become inconveniences and merge into the background when you live in paradise.
07-21-2021, 01:15 AM   #90802
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote

Tripe is brilliant if cooked properly. Cantonese dim sum restaurants do it right. English style - no thanks.
Oxtail is brilliant. If you can handle osso bucco or lamb shanks, then oxtail isn't a problem.
Porridge is wonderful, even if you do the low fat version without the lashings of butter. Use rolled oats, not quick oats or 5 minute oats.
Insects? No thanks.
Tongue is fine. If you have it straight from the tin, the roughness on the surface of the tongue can feel a bit strange in your mouth. It still tastes good.
Spiders, etc. No thanks.
Brains taste good, but I stopped eating them in the Great Cholesterol Scare of the 1980s.
Snails? Yum.
Frog's Legs? Yum.
Well, I've not tried bats, cats, rats, dogs and insects. I do like snails but it's not something seen on menus here. I love lamb shanks - oxtail not. I've had sheep brain. OK, but I'll not order it om purpose. Kangaroo is nice, as is crocodile.
I love bananas!

07-21-2021, 01:24 AM - 3 Likes   #90803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still from home. Gets a bit dull. Every day feels the same.
I worked from home full time from 1997 until I retired in 2015. My wife has been working from home from 2016 and she's still doing it. I also worked from home part time from 1989 to 1990. DEC gave me a VT100 and a modem. I'd go and visit a client about one a month. It was the best working time I've ever had. I didn't have to clock in. I could work my own hours as long as I got the job done. My commute time went down from 1 hour to 5 seconds. Make the most of it and look for the positives.
07-21-2021, 01:32 AM   #90804
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Insects? No thanks.

Spiders, etc. No thanks.

Snails? Yum.

Frog's Legs? Yum.

Butter with porridge? Never heard of that before.

07-21-2021, 01:46 AM - 2 Likes   #90805
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
What year, model , engine, transmission did you have on your Camaro ? I had a '67 RS coupe, 327 V8, 4 speed Muncie.
It is a 72, Sport Coupe, 350/350 Turbohydramatic, green with black vinyl top, black interior, with the spoiler option.

I still have it, it is waiting for a full going through. It hasn’t been on the road since the earth 80s.

I bought it from the second owner in 1979. She was a coworker at the electric utility. She got it from a local man who bought it new at Pignataro Chevrolet in Everett, Washington. I knew him as an acquaintance. The guy bought a new Camaro every year beginning with the first year in 67. He still had the 67, a blue convertible. I wish I had gotten to know him better. He passed away a few years ago.
07-21-2021, 01:53 AM   #90806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I flew in one of those several years back. Great plane to fly on if you like having your knees jammed against the seat in front of you (and I'm only 5' 10") and bent at 90 degrees for the whole flight. On the plus side, that distracts you a bit from the fact that you can't move your upper body at all without bumping shoulders and/or elbows with the person next to you.
That's the airline, not the plane. Pre-covid, my wife used to fly from Newcastle, NSW to Melbourne and back every 3 months. Jet Star did A320 and Virgin did 737. Both budget airlines, but Jet Star is a bit more budget than Virgin. She much preferred the A320. Smoother, quieter, better leg room.

In the last few years we've done the Australia to UK and back round trip on Singapore Airlines in an A380 from Australia to Singapore then 777 for the rest of the trip, on BA in a 747, and on QANTAS in an A380. The 777 was very uncomfortable. Noisy. Vibrations. Almost as bad as a Bristol Freighter. The 747 was good, but the A380 was brilliant. On the other hand, my son, who flew on 777s pre-covid as cabin crew with Alitalia, loves the 777. He did the Rome - Sydney and return round trip in a Qatar Air A350 to visit us in December 2019 and I think that we almost converted him Mind you, we sprung for a business class ticket as a Christmas present. That might have influenced him.
07-21-2021, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #90807
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Unfortunately that is the case on any airliners when one flies coach.
AKA "Cattle Class" or "The Bronx".
07-21-2021, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #90808
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Then they get upset because you tossed out their favorite container.

If it was so important then they should have taken ownership of their stuff and not abandoned it.
So much wisdom and common sense. One of my wife's jobs around 15 or 20 years ago was as an office manager for a firm of architects. Architects are artistic folks and, apparently, that allows them to be mucky little pups. My wife would sent out an email on Friday morning before a long weekend to warn that the fridge was going to be cleared and cleaned: rescue anything valuable. She almost needed full hazmat gear to clean out the fridge, but she did it. Come Tuesday morning,there were howls of outrage: "the mould on my home-made terrine was only 10cm high. It was only deadly to people who worked in the office. How dare you? You're not an architect. You're only admin staff ...". My wife's response was "who does your pay check?"
07-21-2021, 02:30 AM - 4 Likes   #90809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never heard of that one, sure sounds like a good eating idea, though.What year, model , engine, transmission did you have on your Camaro ? I had a '67 RS coupe, 327 V8, 4 speed Muncie.
Come on Racer!!
You are on a thread with Mr lesmore (Bob-something), you mention a car, and omit stuff like year, model, engine, etc etc.
What on earth are you thinking?
Shame shame shame.
07-21-2021, 02:37 AM - 4 Likes   #90810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Architects are artistic folks and, apparently, that allows them to be mucky little pups
Calling Mr Jerling...