Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #90811
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Do you have the big Coles and Woolies in Wangaratta?
Yep we have both, and both good size stores with all the necessary stock. And Aldi. Just one Greengrocer. Regular farmers' markets. No oyster farms (all our farms are beef cattle and cropping).

07-21-2021, 02:51 AM - 2 Likes   #90812
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Except, I neglected to mention that, while I like peanuts, I have never been able to eat peanut butter without gagging.
I can sort of understand that because bananas cause projectile vomiting for me. I used to gag at the sight of a banana. I think that it's my mother's fault. She loved bananas, but she couldn't get any in the UK during WW2. There were still none available in 1947. Then she married my father, they'd met at Birmingham University in 1942, and went out to Pakistan to join him. He was stationed in Rawalpindi. She discovered that bananas were freely available and she ate huge quantities of them to make up for deprivation from 1939 to 1947. She was pregnant with me, and she fed me a diet of bananas while I was in her womb. Bunches of them, hour after hour and day after day for nine months. No wonder it put me off.

I love peanut butter. I prefer the smooth. One of the American liaison officers that was working with my father in 1954 introduced us to peanut butter. I don't know why it was known as ground nut butter in the UK. I've liked it since then. We had the Great Australian Peanut Butter Drought 30 or 40 years ago when, I think, mice got into the peanut supply for the manufacturers. Instant ban on manufactured peanut butter. I bought peanuts that hadn't been anywhere near mice and made my own peanut butter. It's easy and delicious.

Mark, I think that your food gag moments are just as strange as mine.
07-21-2021, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #90813
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
After looking at Bob# 1's taste treat, I thought about what is mine. S'Mores. When I was a kid and we used to do a lot of family camping, a couple things I always liked were s'mores made around the campfire.

Another late night campfire snack was roasting hot dogs over the campfire. Just thinking about it, makes me want to return to yesteryear...late '50's, early '60's.

What's your favourite campfire food, and what makes it so special in your view ?
I've never had S'Mores. I've read about them in American novels (I read a lot of books) and I assumed that they were something like toasted marshmallows with something more. Our up-stairs neighbour at 27,501 Parkview Blvd, Warren, MI in 1973 did toasted marshmallows on a hibachi on their deck. Funny how you can remember numbers.

I think that my favourite campfire food is prawns. Or damper. Yabbies are good. Sort of like crawfish. Actually, my favourite campfire food is food. And lots of it.
07-21-2021, 04:25 AM   #90814
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You forgot IGA! Most people do. We had a really good one when we lived just off Toorak Rd near Warrigal Rd in Camberwell, VIC. We also had the Hartwell Leo's just down Toorak Rd. Leo's has really good food. You want a choice from 11 different brands of Spanish sardines? 20 or 30 different varieties of coffee beans that you can take whole or grind yourself? A cheese area with two full-time experts to serve you? A meat area that has birds from geese to quails?
In England the supermarkets are like Costco - there is no competing product under the same roof, by brand or size. They do have multiple flavours, somewhat often. To get a choice of a different brand you need to go to a different supermarket.

07-21-2021, 04:27 AM   #90815
Forum Member

Ricoh. Oh, oh, oh. How you brought us forward. Not the name, but the people behind, have us remind that they've improved on things. Which brings us happiness. Glad they came to improve our game, the name is plain and stifles the brain. But oh, oh, oh we can't let the big P go. These are the facts whether Ricoh or Pentax. If you like to shoot the point is moot. Have a great day!
07-21-2021, 04:29 AM   #90816
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I worked from home full time from 1997 until I retired in 2015. My wife has been working from home from 2016 and she's still doing it. I also worked from home part time from 1989 to 1990. DEC gave me a VT100 and a modem. I'd go and visit a client about one a month. It was the best working time I've ever had. I didn't have to clock in. I could work my own hours as long as I got the job done. My commute time went down from 1 hour to 5 seconds. Make the most of it and look for the positives.
I like to get out sometimes and see people. When we can go to the office I will probably go not more than 2 days a week unless I have appointments that mean I must be there.
07-21-2021, 04:30 AM   #90817
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
To get a choice of a different brand you need to go to a different supermarket.
What kind of produce are you thinking of that doesn't have more than one brand available in a supermarket?

07-21-2021, 04:46 AM - 2 Likes   #90818
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's one of the best songs ever, but how can you a pick a best one? There are too many beautiful songs. If I go back into my yoof, I think that Yesterday would pop its head up above the parapet. I was in love with many beautiful female singers in my teens, and I still fall in love with the good ones. Astrud Gilberto - she didn't just sing The Girl From Ipanema. Francoise Hardy - Le Temps de L'amour. Sylvie Vartan - La Plus Belle Pour Aller Danser. Emmylou - Gold. Anita Carter - Bury Me Under The Weeping Willow. Reeb Willms with the Caleb Klauder Band - C'est Le Moment or I'd Jump The Mississippi, Elizabeth Cook - Pale Blue Eyes or Heroin Addict Sister. Rhiannon Giddens - almost anything, but Waterboy is one of her best. Erika Lewis and Greg Sherman from Tuba Skinny doing Wee Midnight Hours. This one

And so it goes. Far too many favourites to pick a favourite.
07-21-2021, 04:59 AM   #90819
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Butter with porridge? Never heard of that before.
It's the way my family did it. Butter and brown sugar. My Uncle and Aunt's live-in housekeeper was from Holland. She had some very nice versions of porridge and the butter and brown sugar with cream might have been one of hers. My uncle provided her with a Rolls Royce to use as her own. She was a very happy housekeeper.
07-21-2021, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #90820
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDish Quote
Ricoh. Oh, oh, oh. How you brought us forward. Not the name, but the people behind, have us remind that they've improved on things. Which brings us happiness. Glad they came to improve our game, the name is plain and stifles the brain. But oh, oh, oh we can't let the big P go. These are the facts whether Ricoh or Pentax. If you like to shoot the point is moot. Have a great day!
07-21-2021, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #90821
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Of the many musicians from the past which litter the backwaters of YouTube, I freely admit to not knowing Captain Beefheart's oeuvre, so can't really comment. If he's anything like Frank Zappa he'll be cast into utter darkness!
Zappa, one of the best concerts I have ever attended. Yes the lyrics are odd (captivating?) but the musicianship was bar none.
07-21-2021, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #90822
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After looking at Bob# 1's taste treat, I thought about what is mine. S'Mores. When I was a kid and we used to do a lot of family camping, a couple things I always liked were s'mores made around the campfire.

Another late night campfire snack was roasting hot dogs over the campfire. Just thinking about it, makes me want to return to yesteryear...late '50's, early '60's.

Is this the perfect s'more. I don't know if it is or not, haven't tried it.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...20XonNJDRwxO4U

What's your favourite campfire food, and what makes it so special in your view ?
Spider dogs cus it is very rare for me to eat weiners but there is something shamelessly decadent about a hotdog curled up in burnt agony
07-21-2021, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #90823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Oh, I love roasted in the shell peanuts. I fondly remember buying them by the hessian sack full in Florida, many years ago. But, nah. I'll pass on the peanut butter. Don't know why, it's not logical.
Kinda like coleslaw for me, I like all the ingredients themselves, it's just the mix I am not fond of.
07-21-2021, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #90824
Veteran Member

Hey Mark, put a handful of peanuts in your mouth, chew chew chew, then guess what you get....
Peanut Butter!!
07-21-2021, 06:12 AM - 3 Likes   #90825
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDish Quote
You're a poet and you don't know it, but your feet show it, because they are long fellows.

Last edited by robtcorl; 07-21-2021 at 06:22 AM.