QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I hit the end of the chain.
As a former boss of mine would have said: "That can't have been good?"

07-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #91142
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I doubt it.
If they get shunted off to wait and watch everyone else being checked through, they will not inconvenience the others. They may not learn to behave more considerately to everyone else because they have plenty of time to watch how to do check out efficiently.

It all depends on the cash register being able to ring up a price, then serve the next customer before coming back to complete the transaction.
07-30-2021, 12:54 PM - 4 Likes   #91143
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aldi has the fastest checkouts I've seen. Each of their products has multiple bar codes so the clerk can scan things faster than you can get them from your cart. Bag your own, no waiting for a clerk or a bag person, I was at one today and thought of Rupert when I bought a bar of chocolate candy, but no shoe polish.
07-30-2021, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #91144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I watch My Classic Car every weekend. Have for as long as it has been on. One of the highlights of each weekend.

Dennis has his own production company.

MadStache™ | Video-Animation-Web
We used to get My Classic Car, but no longer. Dunno why, but it doesn't seem to be on any of our cable channels. Good show though. Enjoyed it though.

Madstache..... I used to have a beard and moustache, but I don't seem to be able to grow a very good 'stache or beard. When I did have my beard and stache, about 40 years ago...boy did it make a difference in -30 to -40.

07-30-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #91145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I clearly remember when first growing a beard I felt the wind blowing through it on a particularly breezy day. Haven't felt that since: haven't ever shaved it off! Fungus rules.
07-30-2021, 02:56 PM - 4 Likes   #91146
Veteran Member

Mrs Bob has never seen me without a 'stache. My beard growing attempts have been pathetic, I'm too far removed from the ape.
07-30-2021, 03:39 PM - 4 Likes   #91147
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We used to get My Classic Car, but no longer.
It went off the air 50 or 60 years ago.
Oh, wait, that was My Mother the Car.
Nevermind.

07-30-2021, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #91148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It went off the air 50 or 60 years ago.
Oh, wait, that was My Mother the Car.
Nevermind.

I liked that show ! Jerry Van Dyke was Dave Crabtree, the lead actor, Anne Southern was his deceased mother's voice. What's not to like. Apparently I might of been this show's only fan, as according to the august magazine, TV Guide, which I once had a subscription to, back in the 1980's :

" In 2002, TV Guide proclaimed it to be the second-worst of all time, behind The Jerry Springer Show. " *

I have to disagree with TV Guide both on their assessment of My Mother, the Car.

* Wikipedia
07-30-2021, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #91149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mrs Bob has never seen me without a 'stache. My beard growing attempts have been pathetic, I'm too far removed from the ape.

I didn't look good with a beard. I had a beard, about when I was 30-31 years old at the time. I was strolling down a long hallway in a 'better' hotel, and I happened to look in a main floor, full length hotel mirror, and saw my reflection.

Well, I was horrified. I looked like one of the Smith Brothers of cough drop fame.

But on the other side of the coin, I was relieved to be able to see my reflection.

Google Image Result for https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/SmithBrothers_04.jpg
07-30-2021, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #91150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aldi has the fastest checkouts I've seen. Each of their products has multiple bar codes so the clerk can scan things faster than you can get them from your cart. Bag your own, no waiting for a clerk or a bag person,
Yep they are fast!
Just in gathering the stuff that has been scanned and shoving it into the trolley it is hard to clear the desk as the scanned stuff keeps coming.
Not having a trolley (shopping cart?) and trying to pack straight into your bags is...

Well I have just seen what is loosely called a "hack"; A woman has demonstrated how to do it - you place every thing 300mm (a foot) apart on the conveyor belt, and that slows down the scanning to allow time to pack your bags. This amazingly gained a few favourable comments, but they were far outweighed by cries much more unfavourable.
(My immediate thought was the woman obviously didn't buy lots of items, because the conveyors aren't so very long.)
07-30-2021, 10:46 PM   #91151
Pentaxian

Aldi has the fastest checkouts I've seen. Each of their products has multiple bar codes so the clerk can scan things faster than you can get them from your cart. Bag your own, no waiting for a clerk or a bag person, I was at one today and thought of Rupert when I bought a bar of chocolate candy, but no shoe polish.
Aldi here is pretty quick. There is almost no shelf space on the after scan side so the customer MUST pack the stuff quick. A separate place to organise your shopping bags.

Bagging your stuff is an expensive extra and may be done by someone who has no idea how you want to organise your stuff.

I have noticed that in any work where there is an assistant it takes longer than if they trust the worker to do the whole job.
07-30-2021, 10:54 PM   #91152
Pentaxian

The biggest problem I find at Aldi is that I am usually buying a very small number of items but I usually need to line up behind a couple of people with almost immovable trolley loads that take forever because of the quantity. Checkout often takes me rather longer than finding the stuff in the shop.
07-31-2021, 12:59 AM   #91153
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
If they get shunted off to wait and watch everyone else being checked through, they will not inconvenience the others. They may not learn to behave more considerately to everyone else because they have plenty of time to watch how to do check out efficiently.

It all depends on the cash register being able to ring up a price, then serve the next customer before coming back to complete the transaction.
I agree with you that this is the right way to treat such cases. My point was that if you haven't learnt to show consideration by the time you reach seniority, well...
07-31-2021, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #91154
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

No Winking Owl?

Multiple bar codes is a good idea - and I guess it's a possibility when they have their own brands. Other manufacturers can't waste valuable space on such things, they need all the space they can get to push the message of "New! But still the original!".

Here we've been bagging our own ever since the self service shops appeared. Now some shops have self service checkouts, too.

Last edited by savoche; 07-31-2021 at 04:06 AM.
07-31-2021, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #91155
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
When I did have my beard and stache, about 40 years ago...boy did it make a difference in -30 to -40.
Big difference! But I find that a three-day stubble helps almost as much as a full-ish beard. So I never shave, I just use a clipper about once a week.