Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2021, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #91366
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
The waiter was pullin' your leg: kippers are smoked herring and it takes up to 12 hours to smoke 'em however early in the mornin' they were landed.
I see.

Ships pulled in very early in the morning, we didn't eat till about 10:30 AM to 11:45 AM.

Here's a kipper prep, posted online.

"Kipper fillets are prepared either by cutting block fillets, smoking them and then cutting single fillets from them, or by cutting single fillets from the raw herring and smoking them. Block fillets are taken by making a transverse cut across the back of the head of the herring, and then cutting down towards the belly wall and in towards the backbone, continuing the cut to the tail so that the flesh on one side of the fish is separated from the bone. Care must be taken not to penetrate the belly wall. The cut is repeated on the other side of the fish, so that the double fillet, joined by the skin and back fins, can be removed from the head and skeleton in one piece. The tail fin is left on if the block fillets are to be tentered.

Kipper fillets, time in 80° brine:
Medium-size 3-4 minutes
Large fillets 6-8 minutes
Kipper fillets are smoked for 2½-3 hours in a mechanical kiln, depending on size, and should lose 10-12 per cent of their brined weight. The temperature in the kiln should not rise above 85° F, 30° "

08-08-2021, 02:40 PM - 3 Likes   #91367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A digression? YOU? No, that's not possible.
I do have my moments.
08-08-2021, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #91368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Ships pulled in very early in the morning, we didn't eat till about 10:30 AM to 11:45 AM.
Man, that’s practically lunchtime. A very leisurely holiday, you musta enjoyed it!
08-08-2021, 03:11 PM - 3 Likes   #91369
Veteran Member

Storm came up, chicken thighs getting air fryer fried instead of grilled for Sunday's dinner.
Never thought we'd use an air fryer as much as we do.

08-08-2021, 03:38 PM - 3 Likes   #91370
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Storm came up, chicken thighs getting air fryer fried instead of grilled for Sunday's dinner.
Never thought we'd use an air fryer as much as we do.
It's even quicker if you boil them first.
Joking aside, I'm intrigued by air fryers. Other than the lack of oil, how is the flavor, texture, consistency, etc. vs deep frying?
08-08-2021, 03:54 PM - 3 Likes   #91371
Veteran Member

Other than the lack of oil, how is the flavor, texture, consistency, etc. vs deep frying?
The texture and flavor are great. It's really just a convection cooker with a coil in the top and a fan to blow the heat around your food.
It really shines cooking frozen food normally prepared in the oven, like fries. Reheats stuff well too.
Ours is a smaller size, but fine for the two of us. I'm sure it's paid for itself, in the 6 months we've owned it, by not heating up the oven and house.
08-08-2021, 06:05 PM - 3 Likes   #91372
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can eat a whole jar of it in one sitting. It doesn't matter what size jar.
Back when salad bars were common they often had pickled herring on them. When I was at a restaurant that had such I would often the salad bar as a meal; no entrée.
Did I mention that I love herring?
I like to get a jar at holiday time, usually from Costco. I'll eat it straight out of the jar, or have it on Ritz crackers with cheese (cheddar, or Swiss, maybe pepper jack).

Mrs. Racer never has any.

And she claims to be Norwegian.

08-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #91373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Man, that’s practically lunchtime. A very leisurely holiday, you musta enjoyed it!
We did indeed. We felt we were doing a leisurely grand tour of England, Scotland and France.
08-08-2021, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #91374
Pentaxian

It's even quicker if you boil them first.
Joking aside, I'm intrigued by air fryers. Other than the lack of oil, how is the flavor, texture, consistency, etc. vs deep frying?
My wife got a Instant Pot a couple of years ago. It is a pressure cooker (I think, I've never used it) and meals made in that machine are very tasty.

Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer, Stainless Steel and Black : Amazon.ca: Home
08-09-2021, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #91375
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Off to the hospital now. If things go as planned I'll be back home around lunchtime.
08-09-2021, 03:40 AM   #91376
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I just saw that the Americans won the Olympic Games.
All of them?

They took gold in every event?
08-09-2021, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #91377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All of them?

Well they won nearly twice as many medals as a country with a fifth of the population so that must be good

08-09-2021, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #91378
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All of them?

On aggregate they got more gold and more medals than any other country or group. Therefore the conclusion that they won the Olympics.
08-09-2021, 05:49 AM - 4 Likes   #91379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
On aggregate they got more gold and more medals than any other country or group. Therefore the conclusion that they won the Olympics.
Americans are always makin up reasons why they won. They claim to have won the second world war, even though they only fought half of it. There are metrics where the U.S. didn't come close to winning. If you lookout medals divided by population, they didn't win much of anything.

U.S. 331 million 113 medals.
Japan 126 million 58 medals
Canada 38 million 24 medals

Medals per million
1. Canada. .63
2. Japan .46
3. U.S. .34

Why are the Americans such under achievers?
08-09-2021, 06:01 AM - 4 Likes   #91380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why are the Americans such under achievers?
So furriners can gloat and feel superior.