Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #91921
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought Lycra was designed to be easy to wash completely clean.

09-08-2021, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #91922
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not after a bear encounter!
09-08-2021, 06:09 AM   #91923
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
We got a Flagstaff E-Pro 19.FBS last year. Not perfect for us, but pretty close. No dinette, but the slide out has a 72" sofa and it comes with a table you can set up for food prep and eating. All welded aluminum frame, Torflex axle and the body is lifted about 4 inches for better off the road clearance. Comes in at about 3,300 pounds.

Two 64Ah batteries. Two 20 pound propane tanks and a 190 watt solar panel on the roof. I may add another one. I can also plug solar panels into the side to assist the one on the roof and also chase the sun if needs be. Available as either an E-Pro 19FBS or a Geo Pro 19FBS. Exact same trailer with different color decals.

Here is a shot from our first outing with it this past May.
I like the design, a lot. I looked up the floor plan and specs. Unfortunately it weighs roughly 450 lbs / 200kg more than I want to tow. I wouldn't be able to put anything in the cargo area of our SUV. The Subaru Ascent (Premium trim or better) can tow 5,000 lbs with a max hitch weight of 500 lbs. The empty hitch weight of your rig is around 440 lbs.

Also, am I correct that this unit has no rear bumper? That's probably the one drawback for me about Forest River's r-pod 180. I use that common 4" square metal tube not only to store the waste hose, but to hang a cargo tray (to carry light but bulky items) and I built a storage rack on the bumper for our little rectangular charcoal grill - decidedly don't want to store an 'ashy' smelling grill in the storage bay.

The ladder is nice. I find myself on the roof of our camper before and after storage. We don't try to live off-grid so to speak, but I do have a 10watt solar panel to maintain the 12v deep cycle battery when our rig is stored away from a power outlet. The panel can be mounted to any side of the air conditioner for the best sun angle, but that means trips to the roof.
09-08-2021, 06:42 AM   #91924
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I like the design, a lot. I looked up the floor plan and specs. Unfortunately it weighs roughly 450 lbs / 200kg more than I want to tow. I wouldn't be able to put anything in the cargo area of our SUV. The Subaru Ascent (Premium trim or better) can tow 5,000 lbs with a max hitch weight of 500 lbs. The empty hitch weight of your rig is around 440 lbs.

Also, am I correct that this unit has no rear bumper? That's probably the one drawback for me about Forest River's r-pod 180. I use that common 4" square metal tube not only to store the waste hose, but to hang a cargo tray (to carry light but bulky items) and I built a storage rack on the bumper for our little rectangular charcoal grill - decidedly don't want to store an 'ashy' smelling grill in the storage bay.

The ladder is nice. I find myself on the roof of our camper before and after storage. We don't try to live off-grid so to speak, but I do have a 10watt solar panel to maintain the 12v deep cycle battery when our rig is stored away from a power outlet. The panel can be mounted to any side of the air conditioner for the best sun angle, but that means trips to the roof.
Yep. No rear bumper. This camper just hit the most right buttons. Load distribution hitch keeps our truck form sagging. I am going to add air bags to help maintain level too. There is a tube under the trailer for the stinky slinky. Because it is single axle max weight rating is about 4,300 pounds.

When we were younger we had a pop-up that we towed all over the place with our Aerostar minivan. One trip cover 9,100 miles. Awesome vacation that year. For the record we did it all with 4 kids in tow too. They are great for young families.

09-08-2021, 06:43 AM - 3 Likes   #91925
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
We are looking at a 2017 Winnebago 1706FB. It is the perfect size for both of us and I like the fact that it has twin axles.
This is our perfect size. We bought it new in Michigan and had it commercially delivered to Texas (believe it or not, we saved money). If I tried to hitch it to our Subaru Ascent, I would likely blow out both rear tires; and I'm not sure if that would happen before or after the rear axle snapped. With all the slides out, it is around the size of many one-bedroom apartments. The intent is that we don't have to haul all our household goods, clothing, etc. back & forth, but we also don't pay year-round the kind of rent associated with an apartment, nor do we own any real estate. When we reach the point of no longer wanting, or able, to make the trip, We get whatever we can on the sale from a broker's consignment lot, and drive off into the sunset.

It takes us roughly 4 days without killing ourselves or our pets to make the trip between the north and south. Between the hassles of hotels & pets and of late, COVID-19, it doesn't cost us anymore, and probably less, to tow a 'rolling hotel room'. The ONLY issue we have is it would be nice to eat dinner other than sitting side by side on the edge of the bed with a small shared folding table. There are units weighing about 200 lbs / <100kg more than our little fully self-contained camper that have a place to sit even if the dinette is made up as a bed. The trick is to find a good used unit at a price within reality. I am hoping in another year that people who grabbed this units at a premium will discover they no longer need a COVID escape pod and/or decide they want something just a bit bigger.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo   
09-08-2021, 08:07 AM - 4 Likes   #91926
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
When we were younger we had a pop-up that we towed all over the place with our Aerostar minivan. One trip cover 9,100 miles. Awesome vacation that year. For the record we did it all with 4 kids in tow too.
I'll bet it was a lot quieter that way than if they'd been in the van with you.
09-08-2021, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #91927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'll bet it was a lot quieter that way than if they'd been in the van with you.
Yeah, what a great idea! Thanks guys!

09-09-2021, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #91928
Veteran Member

Today's breakfast.
Half an avocado plus hard cooked egg mashed up with a little mayo on toasted bagel.
And of course BACON!
Attached Images

09-09-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #91929
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Half an avocado plus hard cooked egg mashed up with a little mayo
I've never heard of that, but it sounds yummy.
I don't mean to blaspheme, but doesn't the bacon overshadow what I would think is a subtle flavor of the avocado and egg?.
09-09-2021, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #91930
Veteran Member

I don't mean to blaspheme, but doesn't the bacon overshadow what I would think is a subtle flavor of the avocado and egg?.
If you didn't mean to, why did you?
To me, the bacon is what took this over the top. I wish I had broken it up and mixed it in because biting through bagel and bacon made the avo/egg smush out the sides.
09-10-2021, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #91931
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I've never heard of that, but it sounds yummy.
The subtle flavors of the avocado and egg enhance the awesome flavors of the bacon.

Its all about the bacon, Jim.

I think Bob was being conservative with the bacon. Me? I would have added 4 slices of bacon.

At least.
09-11-2021, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #91932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting dilemma: should I cheer for a Brit teenager or a Canuck teenager (and a southpaw at that ) in tonight’s tennis final? Well ….. sorry chaps, this house shall be cheering Raducanu.

That’s the Brit, for all you baseball fans
09-11-2021, 01:55 AM   #91933
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Interesting dilemma: should I cheer for a Brit teenager or a Canuck teenager (and a southpaw at that ) in tonight’s tennis final? Well ….. sorry chaps, this house shall be cheering Raducanu.

That’s the Brit, for all you baseball fans
Looking forward to it. For the semi final I went to bed at 10pm and set my alarm for 1.30am. The earlier match was still in the first set so I snoozed the alarm for 30 minutes at a time until 3am then got up to watch the match and returned to bed at 4.45am . This is the only time I have ever paid the monthly fee for Amazon Prime and I wouldn't be surprised if they get record viewing figures tonight for the final.

09-11-2021, 06:20 AM   #91934
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Interesting dilemma: should I cheer for a Brit teenager or a Canuck teenager (and a southpaw at that ) .......
At first it sounded like you were talking about pugilists.

Always enjoyed watching left handers taking on the right handed bunch.
09-11-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #91935
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Today I wept.

I wept for thousands of souls I never knew.

20 years.

WTC towers 1 and 2.

Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

The Pentagon.

Take a moment today to remember those who perished.

Never forget.

Weep for them with me.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-11-2021 at 10:26 AM.