Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2021, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #91966
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Are you all frantic for Melbourne to win the flag after 57 years?
Go Demons!!

09-14-2021, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #91967
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doggie Doggie Doggie
09-14-2021, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #91968
Veteran Member

25 hours and no new posts.
What is going on?
Is the life gone from the thread?
Are you all frantic for Melbourne to win the flag after 57 years?
Something something engineering courses something something...
09-14-2021, 05:05 AM - 2 Likes   #91969
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Doggie Doggie Doggie
Bulldogs are toast.
Isn't that right Rod?

09-14-2021, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #91970
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Something something engineering courses something something...
Don’t blame engineering courses, it is not their fault.
09-14-2021, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #91971
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Bulldogs are toast.
Isn't that right Rod?
See the ribbing Aussie rules fans give each other, evidence of personal maturity. English soccer fans take note. No need to behave unruly either at the ground or elsewhere. And tickets are sold for seats on some website so anyone can buy a ticket and fans of both sides sit adjacent like mature adults.
09-14-2021, 05:33 AM - 4 Likes   #91972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Okay, why I won't be flying with a K-3... A FLU card wasn't good enough.
Goal: Large group family portrait, with me as part of the family in a high-risk COVID area, so no outside photographer. Primary subject is a squirmy granddaughter celebrating her 1st birthday. So, the old standard of setting the self-timer, running to my spot and hoping a one-year old will have a pleasant pose is a pipe dream. Also, flying so all the gear has to be very portable and fast/easy to setup and use in a non-studio environment.
Solution: K-1 & Pentax Image Sync Android app running on a Chromebook in tablet mode - with the tablet mounted immediately adjacent to the lens. - the only glitch during testing was a discovery that Image Sync will only work in normal single frame drive mode and I could not use a tiny IR release from the group to be photographed. So I cobbled together a 20 foot/6 meter extension for my wired release.
During the dry run, our 2 year-old retriever was my substitute for our squirmy granddaughter. His ball was at my feet. BALL! There is a BALL! down there.

Because this is an important part of this post... We will doing this Texas and that means breakfast tacos from our favorite roadside stand - with BACON!

09-14-2021, 06:24 AM   #91973
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Goal: Large group family portrait, with me as part of the family in a high-risk COVID area, so no outside photographer. Primary subject is a squirmy granddaughter celebrating her 1st birthday. So, the old standard of setting the self-timer, running to my spot and hoping a one-year old will have a pleasant pose is a pipe dream. Also, flying so all the gear has to be very portable and fast/easy to setup and use in a non-studio environment.
Solution: K-1 & Pentax Image Sync Android app running on a Chromebook in tablet mode - with the tablet mounted immediately adjacent to the lens. - the only glitch during testing was a discovery that Image Sync will only work in normal single frame drive mode and I could not use a tiny IR release from the group to be photographed. So I cobbled together a 20 foot/6 meter extension for my wired release.
During the dry run, our 2 year-old retriever was my substitute for our squirmy granddaughter. His ball was at my feet. BALL! There is a BALL! down there.

Because this is an important part of this post... We will doing this Texas and that means breakfast tacos from our favorite roadside stand - with BACON!

Creative solution Jim - well done!
09-14-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #91974
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Don’t blame engineering courses, it is not their fault.

In that case I'll blame the history and political science courses I'm required to take for engineering...
09-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #91975
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

In that case I'll blame the history and political science courses I'm required to take for engineering...
They are good too. What history and what politics. At school I did a little about ancient Middle East, and England and the others that make up UK from William the Conqueror to the civil war and restoration. The latter helped with my test for living in UK. At uni I studied history of China and India from about 13th century to 1900 and southeast Asian politics.
09-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #91976
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

What a nice looking Victorian era home Jim. I'm envious.

I'm would live in a place like that if I could find one in a rural setting on acreage.
09-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #91977
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hoping a one-year old will have a pleasant pose
You missed it Jim.
It looks like you are nursing a dog, not a granddaughter.
09-14-2021, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #91978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Bulldogs are toast.
Isn't that right Rod?
It looks like you have done your homework, Bob.
(In at least knowing the teams and their nicknames).

Not so sure about the result - both had very easy preliminary finals; I hope the GF is a bit closer - but not too close!!
09-14-2021, 04:46 PM - 3 Likes   #91979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What a nice looking Victorian era home Jim. I'm envious.

I'm would live in a place like that if I could find one in a rural setting on acreage.
Thank you! Not all our furniture is Victorian. The house is post-Victorian Arts & Crafts and was built in 1906. As you could see, the original quarter-sawed oak trim is all intact. Knowing everything was crafted using hand tools still blows me away. While much of the main level is carpeted, the maple hardwood floors are intact and absolutely restorable. The house has a separate two-story carriage house converted to a garage maybe in the 40's? Most of the original features are easily recognized. When built, the property was half the platted block for pasture and I think the foundation of a cow shed/chicken coop is in the neighbor's yard. Over time the open land was gradually sold and is down to its current standard city lot. We are only two blocks from the end of the Village's residential area and the start of many hundreds of acres of woods & fields. Just in front of those woods & fields is the remains of the the 1930's grass airfield.

The house is listed on the walking tour for Keweenaw National Historic Park. Probably eligible for the National Historic Register, but there are strings that go with that designation and these days, few benefits.

Here is a typical winter view of the face of the house. This area typically sees 225 to over 300 inches (record is 398 inches) of annual snowfall. The bottom edge of stop signs are a minimum of six feet above bare ground. After moving the stuff for nearly 30 years (we bought the house in 1990), we now move to south-central Texas in the winter.

---------- Post added 09-14-21 at 07:51 PM ----------

You missed it Jim.
It looks like you are nursing a dog, not a granddaughter.
LOL. He was my squirmy substitute for next week's photo session in Austin, Texas. All 68 pounds wanted at the ball at my feet. 1st flash grabbed his attention; got him looking in the right direction with the second shot.

Last edited by JimJohnson; 09-14-2021 at 04:52 PM.
09-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #91980
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is one fine looking pup you have there! Around 2-3 yrs old?