Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2021, 07:59 PM   #91981
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Thank you! Not all our furniture is Victorian. The house is post-Victorian Arts & Crafts and was built in 1906. As you could see, the original quarter-sawed oak trim is all intact. Knowing everything was crafted using hand tools still blows me away. While much of the main level is carpeted, the maple hardwood floors are intact and absolutely restorable. The house has a separate two-story carriage house converted to a garage maybe in the 40's? Most of the original features are easily recognized. When built, the property was half the platted block for pasture and I think the foundation of a cow shed/chicken coop is in the neighbor's yard. Over time the open land was gradually sold and is down to its current standard city lot. We are only two blocks from the end of the Village's residential area and the start of many hundreds of acres of woods & fields. Just in front of those woods & fields is the remains of the the 1930's grass airfield.

The house is listed on the walking tour for Keweenaw National Historic Park. Probably eligible for the National Historic Register, but there are strings that go with that designation and these days, few benefits.

Here is a typical winter view of the face of the house. This area typically sees 225 to over 300 inches (record is 398 inches) of annual snowfall. The bottom edge of stop signs are a minimum of six feet above bare ground. After moving the stuff for nearly 30 years (we bought the house in 1990), we now move to south-central Texas in the winter.

---------- Post added 09-14-21 at 07:51 PM ----------

LOL. He was my squirmy substitute for next week's photo session in Austin, Texas. All 68 pounds wanted at the ball at my feet. 1st flash grabbed his attention; got him looking in the right direction with the second shot.
Lovely house Jim! Also, I noticed the size of that radiator in the Living Room. Wow! That's one huge radiator! I'd really appreciate it of you're able to do more close up photos of the architraves and skirtings and other original timber trims in the interior. It's very interesting to see the detailing for that era of home.

09-14-2021, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #91982
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What a nice looking Victorian era home Jim. I'm envious.

I'm would live in a place like that if I could find one in a rural setting on acreage.
Why do you Americans refer to Victorian era when you vehemently condemned the idea of monarchy. You should name your eras after your head of state.
09-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #91983
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
It looks like you have done your homework, Bob.
(In at least knowing the teams and their nicknames).

Not so sure about the result - both had very easy preliminary finals; I hope the GF is a bit closer - but not too close!!
Remember the PM who made a speech referring to a draw and it was. So they all came back the next week to play a second attempt at GF.
09-14-2021, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #91984
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The house is post-Victorian Arts & Crafts
Great looking house.
In Australia we would call that the Edwardian era. (1901-1914 - although Edward VI died in 1910, George V didn't get an era named after him, and Edwardian survived until WW1.)
Our Edwardian houses were probably a lot plainer - at least the ones with which I am familiar are.
Here is my MIL's house, built 1901;

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-14-2021, 11:54 PM - 3 Likes   #91985
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The interior shots are so Mark doesn't bang on about insufficient information
09-15-2021, 02:43 AM - 2 Likes   #91986
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great looking house.
In Australia we would call that the Edwardian era. (1901-1914 - although Edward VI died in 1910, George V didn't get an era named after him, and Edwardian survived until WW1.)
Our Edwardian houses were probably a lot plainer - at least the ones with which I am familiar are.
Here is my MIL's house, built 1901;
Lovely Rod. Yes, the Aussie Edwardian and NZ Edwardian styles are very similar, but not nearly so well appointed as the American ones. The South African ones are also much like the Aussie and NZ ones, although all the Saffa ones are brick where here they're almost all timber and I think you guys have a mix of brickwork and timber.

The interior shots are so Mark doesn't bang on about insufficient information
Indeed. I would have asked. For the uninitiated, I have for the 30 something years worked in the renovation, restoration and addition to old buildings, many dating from the late 19th century and early 20th century but also much older buildings dating from the late 1600s, early 1700s through to the mid 1800s in South Africa. So, the detailing and style of old buildings is something that I'm rather passionate about. I've been known to carry a scribing tool and tape measure on holiday so as to sketch moulding profiles on the go!
09-15-2021, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #91987
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Why do you Americans refer to Victorian era when you vehemently condemned the idea of monarchy. You should name your eras after your head of state.
Whoah!

Easy there Tim.

I have never vehemently condemned the idea of monarchy.

Way before my time.

09-15-2021, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #91988
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Whoah!

Easy there Tim.

I have never vehemently condemned the idea of monarchy.

Way before my time.
Seems to me someone was digging deep for another Anti-American statement.
I take it as jealousy.
09-15-2021, 05:18 AM - 3 Likes   #91989
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve met a good number of Americans who reckon a monarchy is a splendid thing and highly suitable for the United Kingdom.
09-15-2021, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #91990
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I’ve met a good number of Americans who reckon a monarchy is a splendid thing and highly suitable for the United Kingdom.
If we didn't have them we would have to change the name of the country

09-15-2021, 07:20 AM   #91991
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you! Not all our furniture is Victorian. The house is post-Victorian Arts & Crafts and was built in 1906. As you could see, the original quarter-sawed oak trim is all intact. Knowing everything was crafted using hand tools still blows me away. While much of the main level is carpeted, the maple hardwood floors are intact and absolutely restorable. The house has a separate two-story carriage house converted to a garage maybe in the 40's? Most of the original features are easily recognized. When built, the property was half the platted block for pasture and I think the foundation of a cow shed/chicken coop is in the neighbor's yard. Over time the open land was gradually sold and is down to its current standard city lot. We are only two blocks from the end of the Village's residential area and the start of many hundreds of acres of woods & fields. Just in front of those woods & fields is the remains of the the 1930's grass airfield.

The house is listed on the walking tour for Keweenaw National Historic Park. Probably eligible for the National Historic Register, but there are strings that go with that designation and these days, few benefits.

Here is a typical winter view of the face of the house. This area typically sees 225 to over 300 inches (record is 398 inches) of annual snowfall. The bottom edge of stop signs are a minimum of six feet above bare ground. After moving the stuff for nearly 30 years (we bought the house in 1990), we now move to south-central Texas in the winter.

---------- Post added 09-14-21 at 07:51 PM ----------

LOL. He was my squirmy substitute for next week's photo session in Austin, Texas. All 68 pounds wanted at the ball at my feet. 1st flash grabbed his attention; got him looking in the right direction with the second shot.
A friend of mine owned an Arts and Crafts house she just sold. Two guys wanted to buy it and flip it. As they were looking the house over they talked about removing walls, changing the layout etc. Another couple came through and loved the place. They recognized it for what it was and were totally take in by it. Even though their offer was the lower than the the two, she sold it to them.

You do not want your house on any historical register. Essentially is no longer yours but you still have to pay for taxes and upkeep anyway. If we had had preservation groups throughout our history we would still be living in caves.

Back in 1993 we were out at Dinosaur National Monument. There was a supposedly handicapped woman in there who was excoriating the ranger behind he counter about the building not being handicap accessible and not being ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliant etc. The very nice ranger exhibited patience beyond anything I would have stood for. The woman then went on on how she personally knew President Clinton and she was gin to have him look into this abomination personally.

Finally the range was given a chance to speak. She calmly told the woman that this building was on the National Historic Register and to do any modifications of it would require an act of Congress. Frustrated, the woman who claimed that sometimes she needed a wheelchair stormed out of the place on her own two legs looking anything but handicapped.

While the building does look modern, it was built to protect the site and the paleontologist form the weather along with providing them a field lab. When the area was proclaimed a national monument the building was placed on the National Historic Register and hence it was "frozen in time" so to speak.
09-15-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #91992
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
If we didn't have them we would have to change the name of the country
Well the United States is already taken.
09-15-2021, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #91993
Veteran Member

10 month old granddaughter went for her first ride over the weekend, perched on mom's bike.
Son said they rode almost 2 miles, and 3 year old Bobby stayed up with them on his bike with no pedals.
He basically sits on it and runs, shoving it right along. That kid is the Energizer Bunny!!
Attached Images

09-15-2021, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #91994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
... That kid is the Energizer Bunny!!
I expect he slept well that night, only to bounce back the next day – small batteries recharge quickly, we found with ours at that age.
09-15-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #91995
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
...You do not want your house on any historical register. Essentially is no longer yours but you still have to pay for taxes and upkeep anyway. If we had had preservation groups throughout our history we would still be living in caves.
We have conservation areas and conservation villages: you can hardly paint your front door and windows without clearing it with the powers that be and as for changing the colour? Forgeddaboutitt!! Some have decided it's more a case of constipation law. But if your property is listed, you are indeed the keeper but not quite owner. Grade 3 listing is a nuisance, Grade 2 is a burden, but if you're daft enough to buy a Grade 1 listed property you have agreed to let others dictate your wallpaper and toilet paper choices while you smile nicely for officialdom. (I may have exaggerated this. Slightly.) 'Tis your choice, but what a choice to make!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »