Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #91996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Indeed. I would have asked
Mark, I have no architectural skill or even much knowledge but I do take an interest in the variety of design of different (usually older) buildings.
In one of my many visits to Warrnambool on the Victorian coast, I spent time wandering around the town taking pics of houses and other buildings - I ended up with 120+ houses of all sorts (and all sorts of photographic merit given harsh back lighting on some, poor processing techniques etc) ranging from typical single fronted, eaves-less, Irish cottages to much more up-market residences.

Here are a few interior pics from a rental that we stayed in once;

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-15-2021, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #91997
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
That is one fine looking pup you have there! Around 2-3 yrs old?
Thank you! And very good guess. He turned two at the end of July. He joined our family 2 years and 1 day ago.

His predecessor lived to 14.5 years and is much missed. Both was/is very intelligent dogs and learn things from human behavior & speech that you would not expect to happen. The predecessor came from a breeder that strongly focused on service dogs; and he wanted to be right at your side - a frayed thread was more leash than needed. He didn't have to come; he was already there. Our juvenile pup obviously comes from a line of sports dogs. He has all the energy and instincts for easy training to flush [Bang!], find and retrieve downed birds. He just quivers when trying to not pull on a leash - he wants to out in front sweeping left/right for game. No problem in the field as he happily comes on command; but more work than I want at my age when walking on a street with traffic.

Still hard not to love. And he keeps me from putting on more weight!
09-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #91998
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Mark, I have no architectural skill or even much knowledge but I do take an interest in the variety of design of different (usually older) buildings.
In one of my many visits to Warrnambool on the Victorian coast, I spent time wandering around the town taking pics of houses and other buildings - I ended up with 120+ houses of all sorts (and all sorts of photographic merit given harsh back lighting on some, poor processing techniques etc) ranging from typical single fronted, eaves-less, Irish cottages to much more up-market residences.

Here are a few interior pics from a rental that we stayed in once;
Nice! That's Art Deco. We have quite a few pieces of Art Deco furniture and art.
09-15-2021, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #91999
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Lovely house Jim! Also, I noticed the size of that radiator in the Living Room. Wow! That's one huge radiator! I'd really appreciate it of you're able to do more close up photos of the architraves and skirtings and other original timber trims in the interior. It's very interesting to see the detailing for that era of home.
Thanks Mark! Remind me in October after we return from the grandchildren birthdays trip?

Our heat is from hot water. The radiator in that room is not the largest in the house - however, we (nor the prior owner) have never used it. The valve is closed and there is a box over it with porous sides and a solid top filled with the rogues gallery of family photos.

You would like the radiator in our dining room. It has cast doors near the top with a shelf inside. The purpose was to pre-warm the serving plates - but with a young family it was also perfect for drying wet mittens and hats in the winter. The radiators have been repeatedly painted with wall paint over the decades with the expected loss of detail. The one in the dining room was removed one summer, taken to an auto body shop, sand blasted and repainted with an automotive finish. That radiator is slightly smaller than the one you spotted and weighs roughly 500 pounds / a bit over 227kg. When returning the radiator, the shop owner said, "Really brought out the detail didn't it? Looks great - but don't bring us another one!" Apparently house paint gets pretty durable after baking. and cast radiators are harder to move than engine blocks!

---------- Post added 09-15-21 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Why do you Americans refer to Victorian era when you vehemently condemned the idea of monarchy. You should name your eras after your head of state.
LOL. That nomenclature is a LOT older than me - you'll have to invent a time machine and go back and argue your point with the architects of that time.

I'll take this a step further. Queen Victoria has (at least on this side of the big ditch) been considered a sexual prude ... yeah, I know that was something of a mistaken impression .... but so called Victorian styled homes where multiple bright and often pastel colors of paint are applied are referred to as "Painted Ladies". Our home (aside from being Arts & Crafts style) doesn't quite meet the bar in color vibrancy.

09-15-2021, 06:03 PM   #92000
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Thank you! And very good guess. He turned two at the end of July. He joined our family 2 years and 1 day ago.

His predecessor lived to 14.5 years and is much missed. Both was/is very intelligent dogs and learn things from human behavior & speech that you would not expect to happen. The predecessor came from a breeder that strongly focused on service dogs; and he wanted to be right at your side - a frayed thread was more leash than needed. He didn't have to come; he was already there. Our juvenile pup obviously comes from a line of sports dogs. He has all the energy and instincts for easy training to flush [Bang!], find and retrieve downed birds. He just quivers when trying to not pull on a leash - he wants to out in front sweeping left/right for game. No problem in the field as he happily comes on command; but more work than I want at my age when walking on a street with traffic.

Still hard not to love. And he keeps me from putting on more weight!
My neighbor raises these dogs, for bird hunting. He has had several over the years, but the latest bitch refuses the overtures of the sire he has. She let him have a go once, had one litter, and has since refused everytime she is in season.

They are nice companions, much like labs.

When Zoe died he offered me a pup but I wasn't ready.
09-15-2021, 06:56 PM - 4 Likes   #92001
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
My neighbor raises these dogs, for bird hunting. He has had several over the years, but the latest bitch refuses the overtures of the sire he has. She let him have a go once, had one litter, and has since refused everytime she is in season.

They are nice companions, much like labs.

When Zoe died he offered me a pup but I wasn't ready.
To be honest, I wasn't ready for a new puppy. And some days, I'm still not. My wife pointed out to me a couple months after losing Harry (Herald as in Hark The Herald - he was born just before Christmas) that I was still stepping over a dog who was no longer there. We put a deposit on a yet to be conceived pup and I was frankly relieved the mating did not result in pregnancy. A couple weeks later a cousin pointed out that there was a puppy about 8 hours' drive from us where the depositor couldn't be reached by the breeder. Tucker came home with us.

Somethings are meant to be.
Attached Images

09-15-2021, 09:32 PM - 3 Likes   #92002
Pentaxian

Well, Tucker is a sweetheart of a pup. We’ve had so many goldens over the years you get pretty good at age guesses. We have two youngsters at present, Bandit who’s just over two, and Cookie who is almost 7 months. Our neighbor has a golden, of the dark red hunting and field type, four months younger than Bandit, too.

09-15-2021, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #92003
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
We have conservation areas and conservation villages: you can hardly paint your front door and windows without clearing it with the powers that be and as for changing the colour? Forgeddaboutitt!! Some have decided it's more a case of constipation law. But if your property is listed, you are indeed the keeper but not quite owner. Grade 3 listing is a nuisance, Grade 2 is a burden, but if you're daft enough to buy a Grade 1 listed property you have agreed to let others dictate your wallpaper and toilet paper choices while you smile nicely for officialdom. (I may have exaggerated this. Slightly.) 'Tis your choice, but what a choice to make!
A choice you make, as a package deal, when you sign the purchase papers. All done in total freedom.

Worse is if someone else gets your property listed after you bought it.

Around here do not buy a house that someone famous once lived in or adjacent to. Problem is there are many such places and they keep finding new sites to whack up blue plates.
09-15-2021, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #92004
Pentaxian

Thanks Mark! Remind me in October after we return from the grandchildren birthdays trip?

Our heat is from hot water. The radiator in that room is not the largest in the house - however, we (nor the prior owner) have never used it. The valve is closed and there is a box over it with porous sides and a solid top filled with the rogues gallery of family photos.

You would like the radiator in our dining room. It has cast doors near the top with a shelf inside. The purpose was to pre-warm the serving plates - but with a young family it was also perfect for drying wet mittens and hats in the winter. The radiators have been repeatedly painted with wall paint over the decades with the expected loss of detail. The one in the dining room was removed one summer, taken to an auto body shop, sand blasted and repainted with an automotive finish. That radiator is slightly smaller than the one you spotted and weighs roughly 500 pounds / a bit over 227kg. When returning the radiator, the shop owner said, "Really brought out the detail didn't it? Looks great - but don't bring us another one!" Apparently house paint gets pretty durable after baking. and cast radiators are harder to move than engine blocks!

---------- Post added 09-15-21 at 08:47 PM ----------

LOL. That nomenclature is a LOT older than me - you'll have to invent a time machine and go back and argue your point with the architects of that time.

I'll take this a step further. Queen Victoria has (at least on this side of the big ditch) been considered a sexual prude ... yeah, I know that was something of a mistaken impression .... but so called Victorian styled homes where multiple bright and often pastel colors of paint are applied are referred to as "Painted Ladies". Our home (aside from being Arts & Crafts style) doesn't quite meet the bar in color vibrancy.
I should get pictures of some of the radiators in the Bodleian library. They look so old they might be original.

Victoria is commonly presented as a prude. I think that is a gross misrepresentation. She saw sex as having a proper place in life and to be enjoyed but not to be on the overt putting in the face of others way of many people today.
09-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #92005
Pentaxian

In our estate, about 20 years old, some people wanted to chop down some trees planted AFTER the estate was built and had to get council approval. Once they got the approval the trees were gone in 3 days. Got in before the council could change their mind.
09-16-2021, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #92006
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Well, Tucker is a sweetheart of a pup. We’ve had so many goldens over the years you get pretty good at age guesses. We have two youngsters at present, Bandit who’s just over two, and Cookie who is almost 7 months. Our neighbor has a golden, of the dark red hunting and field type, four months younger than Bandit, too.
I see both your pups are wearing the same microchip ID tag as mine. It's hard not to love goldens. Obtained from a careful breeder, they tend to not have the skeletal issues of other pure breeds. On the other hand the stats say our dogs have a nearly 2 in 3 chance of cancer and are gone in a dozen years. I know veterinary researchers are trying to find the genetic root cause, but from what I have heard, without much success so far.

---------- Post added 09-16-21 at 07:48 AM ----------

In our estate, about 20 years old, some people wanted to chop down some trees planted AFTER the estate was built and had to get council approval. Once they got the approval the trees were gone in 3 days. Got in before the council could change their mind.
Don't know about there. Here Historic Preservation primarily impacts the building's exterior, or only the portions of an interior if it is readily visible from and contribute to the exterior, and the buildings place in the overall street scape. Few people wish to live inside a museum piece. At the same time for homes like ours, much of the interior architecture is mostly completely livable today and there is little desire to disturb it. Our kitchen was horrible. There were features we didn't want to lose, but much we wanted changed because we didn't prepare or store food in the manner of 100 years ago.

There were seemingly few ways to gradually update the room. A decade ago we undertook to reform the entire room at the same time. We saved a lot of the original room's character through removal and reuse of woodwork and light fixtures. There isn't a brash change between the new kitchen and adjoining rooms. Behind the walls wiring and plumbing are all current construction codes. However modern window technology compatible with a historic exterior were hard to obtain. We could readily obtain custom inserts that fit inside the existing space for double-hung sashes, but seemingly everyone insisted on vinyl cladding for the exterior side. NO! Our contractor finally found a manufacturer who would use unpainted wood for both the interior and exterior sides - for an inflated price. The interior sides were stained to match the restored woodwork and original brass hardware used. The exterior was painted to match the original wood sashes. We even retained our wooden swappable storm windows and screens to preserve the exterior.
09-16-2021, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #92007
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Other sporting events have been er, exciting – especially in the bumper cars formally known as Formula One Grand Prix. Still, it was good to see Ricciardo's cheery grin on the podium again.
Yup, this will go down as one of the great rivalries in F1 history.
09-16-2021, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #92008
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Around here do not buy a house that someone famous once lived in or adjacent to. Problem is there are many such places and they keep finding new sites to whack up blue plates.
But does anyone actually believe Sir Hardly Anyone or Dame Cicely Plantsward were actually born halfway up a wall?
09-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #92009
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see both your pups are wearing the same microchip ID tag as mine. It's hard not to love goldens. Obtained from a careful breeder, they tend to not have the skeletal issues of other pure breeds. On the other hand the stats say our dogs have a nearly 2 in 3 chance of cancer and are gone in a dozen years. I know veterinary researchers are trying to find the genetic root cause, but from what I have heard, without much success so far.

---------- Post added 09-16-21 at 07:48 AM ----------

Don't know about there. Here Historic Preservation primarily impacts the building's exterior, or only the portions of an interior if it is readily visible from and contribute to the exterior, and the buildings place in the overall street scape. Few people wish to live inside a museum piece. At the same time for homes like ours, much of the interior architecture is mostly completely livable today and there is little desire to disturb it. Our kitchen was horrible. There were features we didn't want to lose, but much we wanted changed because we didn't prepare or store food in the manner of 100 years ago.

There were seemingly few ways to gradually update the room. A decade ago we undertook to reform the entire room at the same time. We saved a lot of the original room's character through removal and reuse of woodwork and light fixtures. There isn't a brash change between the new kitchen and adjoining rooms. Behind the walls wiring and plumbing are all current construction codes. However modern window technology compatible with a historic exterior were hard to obtain. We could readily obtain custom inserts that fit inside the existing space for double-hung sashes, but seemingly everyone insisted on vinyl cladding for the exterior side. NO! Our contractor finally found a manufacturer who would use unpainted wood for both the interior and exterior sides - for an inflated price. The interior sides were stained to match the restored woodwork and original brass hardware used. The exterior was painted to match the original wood sashes. We even retained our wooden swappable storm windows and screens to preserve the exterior.
I'm always happy to hear when a home owner is happy to retain as much as of the fabric of an old house as possible. Some are sympathetic and some are purely cost driven.
09-16-2021, 10:43 PM - 2 Likes   #92010
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going to paste this on the trains and plains and boats and automobile thread; but decided the inhabitants there might not be so keen on a story. (I know Les/Bob will be)
I started ruminating after a comment on that thread indicated that the poster thought the last part of a number plate (licence plate to some) spelt BOZO (it was actually 8 OZO)

Although the plate configuration in Victoria have been pretty straightforward - even logical - until the past few years when they have gone a bit awry.
The earliest Victorian plates that I recall seeing (probably pre WW2 but date uncertain) were 99 999 then 999 999
The first car in the family 1947 Austin was AA 999 (actually TL 278 - what a memory; if only I could remember what day it is now)
This was followed by AAA 999 - except the States allocated groups of numbers to each State - Victoria started at GAA...
Eventually the States ran out of their allocations an so they overlapped, differentiated only by colour.
I have had cars with regos starting with (in order, but mostly preloved) G K L B D F P R and U
The current series of plates - of which my current ride is one - is configured 9AA 9AA I have no idea how they increment, but I have not yet seen any starting with other than 1 as yet.
On top of that plates are now also issued (at an extra cost) in the old format AAA 999 and with a different colour, and for lots more cost specials can be ordered with any mixture of up to six alphas-numerics-symbols as long as it is not offensive.
"Sorry officer, I can't remember the number of the car that hit me, but I think it had a heart in it"