Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #92146
Pentaxian

Fall is here....the leaves are changing colour, and getting blown off the trees by strong winds.

Just this afternoon as I was walking to our community mailbox, a woman was on her cell, walking her dog, a young Beagle puppy....who was excitedly chasing after a yellow leaf, blowing in the wind, along the ground.

He caught it, but only relished his victory, for about a second.

Very quickly he spit out the dried up, flaky leaf.

Pups, like the rest of us, learn through experience.

09-22-2021, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #92147
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A winter wasteland.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
not winter wasteland.
Right. If you want to see a Winter wasteland I can show you pictures of where I live.
09-22-2021, 04:03 PM - 3 Likes   #92148
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fall is here....the leaves are changing colour, and getting blown off the trees by strong winds.

Just this afternoon as I was walking to our community mailbox, a woman was on her cell, walking her dog, a young Beagle puppy....who was excitedly chasing after a yellow leaf, blowing in the wind, along the ground.

He caught it, but only relished his victory, for about a second.

Very quickly he spit out the dried up, flaky leaf.

Pups, like the rest of us, learn through experience.
Mine was a 62 Impala wagon. White, blue interior, 283 with a Powerglide.
This thread is wonderful. In only a page or two of posts we've learnt when to spit it out and when not spit it out.
09-22-2021, 04:04 PM - 5 Likes   #92149
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other public service news, a special bit of advice for new fathers:

If you puke on the baby once, you won't get asked to change a nappy again.

09-22-2021, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #92150
Pentaxian

When people ask me if they should move to Canada, I ask them "Do you play in the snow." For those who aren't tough enough to have fun in the cold it's a winter waste land. For the rest of us, it's winter heaven.
09-22-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #92151
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For the rest of us, it's winter heaven.
That's true of the small portion of South Dakota called The Black Hills.
09-22-2021, 06:56 PM - 3 Likes   #92152
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. If you want to see a Winter wasteland I can show you pictures of where I live.
November 6, 2013, between Chamberlain and Wall, westbound.

This was a nice day.

Other times it was worse.

Much worse.

Freezing fog. My CB antennas got so heavy with ice they broke off.

Had to stop a couple times and break the ice off the wipers, then lay them on the cam cover on the engine to thaw them out. Crossing the river by Chamberlain got my attention when the drive tires broke loose. Most of the way across the bridge I was looking out the left window. Was headed east that time, in the dark. Barely made it up the hill. Stopped at the rest area and went to bed. the.

Then there was the night I stopped in Mitchell at the Pilot. Called Mrs. Racer to say goodnight when baseball sized hail started beating down on the sleeper roof.

09-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #92153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've never been to Pierre, SD in the winter, although I have been to that fair city in the summer. I've even talked to Pierreites and found them to be a pleasant people.

One thing I miss during all this Covid stuff is that the international border is closed. Can't drive into the USA. In the fall, winter, spring we would ever so often take a run through the Pembina Gorge (what Americans call this area) in North Dakota, and then up through to the Pembina Hills (what Canucks call this area) in Manitoba, through the Windy Gates border crossing.

Beautiful both sides of the border, in the spring there is an international hawk watch...as many raptors...Bald and Golden Eagles, all sorts of hawks, falcons use this area as a migration route when passing from south to north . We go there, with our binocs and my K5 and 150-500 Sigma lens. Cause you never know.

Rolling hills, absolutely stunning vistas in this area...and you can have a big farmer's lunch, thick, juicy slices of roast beef, mashed potatoes, some kind of green vegetable...all at a reasonable price ...and at an undisclosed restaurant location...in Cavalier, ND...if you come through the Emerson/ Pembina border crossing.

I miss all this...and me and the missus are not gettin' any younger, waiting for the border to reopen.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...NBcuOMQIJyQAsH

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-22-2021 at 09:01 PM.
09-22-2021, 08:51 PM - 2 Likes   #92154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
This thread is wonderful. In only a page or two of posts we've learnt when to spit it out and when not spit it out.

I've learned a lot about things, just watching dogs go about their daily business. But you'll have to guess, about which things I've learned.
09-22-2021, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #92155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
In other public service news, a special bit of advice for new fathers:

If you puke on the baby once, you won't get asked to change a nappy again.
When I was about 8 years old, my mom introduced me to drying dishes and among other things, my dad's curling trophy.

Unfortunately dad's curling trophy slipped out of my wet, little hands and ended up somewhat damaged on the kitchen floor.

Like everything in life, there was some good and some bad. The some bad was that the trophy was a bit damaged.

The some good was that my mother wouldn't let my dry the dishes and the curling trophies anymore.
09-22-2021, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #92156
Pentaxian

November 6, 2013, between Chamberlain and Wall, westbound.

This was a nice day.

Other times it was worse.

Much worse.

Freezing fog. My CB antennas got so heavy with ice they broke off.

Had to stop a couple times and break the ice off the wipers, then lay them on the cam cover on the engine to thaw them out. Crossing the river by Chamberlain got my attention when the drive tires broke loose. Most of the way across the bridge I was looking out the left window. Was headed east that time, in the dark. Barely made it up the hill. Stopped at the rest area and went to bed. the.

Then there was the night I stopped in Mitchell at the Pilot. Called Mrs. Racer to say goodnight when baseball sized hail started beating down on the sleeper roof.
I know that road. I like stopping off in Wall. Some of the best plain donuts I've ever had, get them at the Wall Drug Store.

However, BTW, the 5 cent coffee, I would take a pass on.
09-22-2021, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #92157
Pentaxian

Mine was a 62 Impala wagon. White, blue interior, 283 with a Powerglide.

More than a few suspicious fathers gave me the evil eye when I picked up their daughters for a Saturday night out.
You'd also get the stink eye from dad(s) if you had one of those Rambler cars , with the front seat that reclined to make a bed.
09-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #92158
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
8 Z's outside + 6 Z's inside = 14. Think I got that right.

I bet there are some interesting stories about .....how you acquired some in...particular. .
That way he can sleep a long time.
09-22-2021, 10:42 PM - 2 Likes   #92159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Of course, because he lives in WA.
Pentax make State-specific lenses?
Who wouda thought?
09-22-2021, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #92160
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know that road. I like stopping off in Wall. Some of the best plain donuts I've ever had, get them at the Wall Drug Store.

However, BTW, the 5 cent coffee, I would take a pass on.
Does the Wall Drug Store have Harley riders selling white powder and little hard things?