Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2021, 03:12 AM - 3 Likes   #92161
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Does the Wall Drug Store have Harley riders selling white powder and little hard things?
No.

The only Harley riders that pass through Wall are RUBS*.

* Rich urban bikers. Guys who spend twenty grand on a bike, get some tattoos, and a trailer to haul the bike around behind their hundred thousand dollar motor home because they aren't biker enough to ride more than twenty miles at a time.

09-23-2021, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #92162
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
When I was about 8 years old, my mom introduced me to drying dishes and among other things, my dad's curling trophy.

Unfortunately dad's curling trophy slipped out of my wet, little hands and ended up somewhat damaged on the kitchen floor.

Like everything in life, there was some good and some bad. The some bad was that the trophy was a bit damaged.

The some good was that my mother wouldn't let my dry the dishes and the curling trophies anymore.
Reminds me of when I was about 10 or 11 and mom and dad bought a set of Melmac 'unbreakable' dishes.
We're talking 1950s so it was before the modern plastic craze.
The thought of unbreakable dinnerware was amazing, but alas, as the set was first being put away one of the cups hit the floor and broke. The warranty replaced the cup and we had the set, break free, for many years.
09-23-2021, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #92163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
RUBS
Might that explain why the same bikes and their riders are repeatedly seen by the roadside and then pass you a couple of minutes later? They aren’t standing around one bike, hands in pockets, making teeth-sucking faces so nothing’s broken down.

Useful to know.
09-23-2021, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #92164
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Had to stop a couple times and break the ice off the wipers, then lay them on the cam cover on the engine to thaw them out. Crossing the river by Chamberlain got my attention when the drive tires broke loose. Most of the way across the bridge I was looking out the left window. Was headed east that time, in the dark. Barely made it up the hill. Stopped at the rest area and went to bed. the.
Then there was the night I stopped in Mitchell at the Pilot. Called Mrs. Racer to say goodnight when baseball sized hail started beating down on the sleeper roof.
Yep. What a paradise this place is.
Rain, huge hail, hurricane force (literally) wind, heavy snow, tornadoes, scorching heat, high humidity.......... Often multiple such conditions combined, but the other 3 days of the year are wonderful.

09-23-2021, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #92165
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The only Harley riders that pass through Wall are RUBS*.

* Rich urban bikers. Guys who spend twenty grand on a bike, get some tattoos, and a trailer to haul the bike around behind their hundred thousand dollar motor home because they aren't biker enough to ride more than twenty miles at a time.
After living here for over 40 years I can attest that that is complete bull.
Apparently you've never been here during the Sturgis rally.
09-23-2021, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #92166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My buddy, the tire salesman who used to go to Sturgis every year (and post photos of his topless wife on the back of his motorcycle as well as all the local strippers) was an ex-biker. He knew many dentist types who drove their bikes to 40 miles away on trailers then rode the last 40 miles into Sturgis on their bikes. I guess it depends on who you know. I interacted with him for about 8 years, and every year I used to hear complaints about the posers.

We used to dread the week he got back from Sturgis, when it was all he could talk about for the next 2 weeks. The first year it was kind of interesting. After that, same old same old. His wife the university photography professor had a really nice portfolio on line. I wish I could remember her name.

Last edited by normhead; 09-23-2021 at 05:49 AM.
09-23-2021, 06:06 AM   #92167
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
He knew many dentist types who drove their bikes to 40 miles away on trailers then rode the last 40 miles into Sturgis on their bikes.
There are a lot of people who do that. One of the common t-shirts is "I rode my bike to trailer week". You can see dozens of trailers on any given stretch of road at any given time. Of course they're scattered among the hundreds of bikes.

I'm pretty sure these folks didn't stop outside of town, take their bikes out of a trailer and ride into Wall just to park in front of Wall Drug.

Attached Images

09-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #92168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Does the Wall Drug Store have Harley riders selling white powder and little hard things?
Not that I've seen. Mostly regular people, stopping by to see the huge store of novelties and knick knacks, having a travel break, something to eat/drink.

You can get items like stuffed, rare animals, such as the Jack-a-lope, which is a hybrid animal. Part pronghorn antelope, part jack rabbit. In life they're very fast., found only in some parts of the North American Great Plains.
09-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #92169
Pentaxian

I avoid going anywhere near Sturgis during or around during Bike Week. A few years ago we went on a trip through two of the prairie provinces and Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota. We were originally planning to go in August, then I remembered Bike Week. Forgetaboutit.

We went in the middle of September instead.

I'm not anti motorcyclist. I've had motorcycles since 1965, of Japanese, British and European manufacture. I've never had a Harley.
09-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #92170
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sturgis rally originally was attended by real bikers.

When Harley Davidson was bought from AMF by some of the employees in 1981 the company changed dramatically. It wasn’t long before the company began aggressively marketing the bikes to wealthier executive types and factory workers earning high union wages.

Of course going to Sturgis, and Daytona for bike week became the popular thing to do. But of course the RUBs couldn’t be bothered to give up their creature comforts, so the pilgrimage was done in the air conditioned comfort of a motor home pulling the bikes along in a trailer.

For five years I passed through South Dakota, and each year around the rally saw hundreds, maybe thousands, of these neophytes and their tow vehicles and trailers, unloading at the rest areas on either side of Sturgis. I stopped one year and took a walk through town. I saw very few real bikers there.

A friend of mine is a member of the Gypsy Jokers chapter in Spokane. He speaks with disdain about how the rally changed when HD was resurrected way back then, and how it has changed what a ‘biker’ is.

He hasn’t gone to Sturgis in over 30 years.

Today it is nothing more than an excuse for a bunch of wealthy upper middle class dopes to gather, get stupid drunk, show off their expensive toys and behave badly.
09-23-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #92171
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it certainly makes sense that you would know more about what goes on in my backyard than I do. After all, you've passed through here a few times and know a biker. I've only lived here for 43+ years.
09-23-2021, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #92172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you get a decent bacon sarnie there Jim? Yum yum.
09-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #92173
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it certainly makes sense that you would know more about what goes on in my backyard than I do. After all, you've passed through here a few times and know a biker. I've only lived here for 43+ years.
Come on now Jim. A guy doesn’t have to live somewhere for 43 years to know the difference between a poser and the real thing.
09-23-2021, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #92174
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sturgis rally originally was attended by real bikers.

When Harley Davidson was bought from AMF by some of the employees in 1981 the company changed dramatically. It wasn’t long before the company began aggressively marketing the bikes to wealthier executive types and factory workers earning high union wages.

Of course going to Sturgis, and Daytona for bike week became the popular thing to do. But of course the RUBs couldn’t be bothered to give up their creature comforts, so the pilgrimage was done in the air conditioned comfort of a motor home pulling the bikes along in a trailer.

For five years I passed through South Dakota, and each year around the rally saw hundreds, maybe thousands, of these neophytes and their tow vehicles and trailers, unloading at the rest areas on either side of Sturgis. I stopped one year and took a walk through town. I saw very few real bikers there.

A friend of mine is a member of the Gypsy Jokers chapter in Spokane. He speaks with disdain about how the rally changed when HD was resurrected way back then, and how it has changed what a ‘biker’ is.

He hasn’t gone to Sturgis in over 30 years.

Today it is nothing more than an excuse for a bunch of wealthy upper middle class dopes to gather, get stupid drunk, show off their expensive toys and behave badly.
Here we call the posers "Weekend Warriors". It has to be said, they're generally much better behaved than many of the real bikers!
09-23-2021, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #92175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here we call the posers "Weekend Warriors". It has to be said, they're generally much better behaved than many of the real bikers!
My son rented a BMW G/S motorcycle when he holidayed in NZ. He thought it was a lovely place to motorcycle, liked the roads, people, scenery, etc.