Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2021, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #92176
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My son rented a BMW G/S motorcycle when he holidayed in NZ. He thought it was a lovely place to motorcycle, liked the roads, people, scenery, etc.
Except that car owners seem to see motorcyclists about as well as they see bicycles. Good to hear he made it back safely!

09-23-2021, 10:01 PM - 2 Likes   #92177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Except that car owners seem to see motorcyclists about as well as they see bicycles. Good to hear he made it back safely!
The fellow at the firm he rented the motorcycle from, warned him about tourists, to be careful about, when on the roads .
09-24-2021, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #92178
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here we call the posers "Weekend Warriors". It has to be said, they're generally much better behaved than many of the real bikers!
RUB

An acronym for Rich Urban Biker. A title given to middle aged, upper class, white males that make more money than they know what to do with so they decided to pretend to be bad ass and get a Harley.

Twenty grand and twenty miles does not a biker make.

Certainly not one percenters.

Yes the one percenters can get unruly, but they usually mind their own business. Don't mess with them, they won't mess with you.
09-24-2021, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #92179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, do US one percenters have fortified clubhouses and trade in various forms of white powder and have other interests which attract the attention of the constabulary?
It seems to be the way in AU.

09-24-2021, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #92180
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
So, do US one percenters have fortified clubhouses and trade in various forms of white powder and have other interests which attract the attention of the constabulary?
Before I left Australia the state premiers often talked about having laws to stop the bikies who did what Rod described. What they failed to notice was that those bikies always ride HDs these days. None ride Japanese, British or European bikes, so the solution would have been to get rid of them by banning the import of HDs and then their problem would gradually go away as the HDs in country wore out.
09-24-2021, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #92181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Before I left Australia the state premiers often talked about having laws to stop the bikies who did what Rod described. What they failed to notice was that those bikies always ride HDs these days. None ride Japanese, British or European bikes, so the solution would have been to get rid of them by banning the import of HDs and then their problem would gradually go away as the HDs in country wore out.
Well, Harleys never seem to disappear, they fade away for awhile, disappear for a bit, than many times they are discovered in barns, shed, garages and the new owners rebuild and restore.
Vintage Harleys are sought after motorcycles, and I know the local vintage motorcycle club in my area in Canada, one rider has I believe a 1911, 1915 and a 1943 HD. He also has an English Vincent V Twin, etc.

The '43 HD is a 750cc WLC, which is the nomenclature (close anyways) for WL series...C= Canadian military. In WW2, the Canadian military used a variety of motorcycles, some British...Norton, Matchless, BSA and American- HD.

HD made the 750cc V twin military motorcycle, in at least two variations. The WLA (A for American military) and WLC (C for Canadian military).

I believe the difference between the two, was the A version had a foot clutch, the C version had a hand clutch lever. Canucks were used to British bikes with hand clutch levers.

Anyway I've digressed a bit.

There are a number of people (usually men) that restore old bikes, whether they be Italian , German, Czech, Swedish, English, Japanese or American. I've missed a few countries, but like vintage cars, vintage motorcycles are popular. I have two, my English made '67 Matchless 750cc Scrambler, and my Japanese '78 Yamaha SR 500.

I'm restoring them, at a very slow pace . I'm no spring chicken so my hope is my son will take them over, however if not, I know there will be buyers for either one, who will continue the resto process, but probably at a faster pace than yours truly.

In any group of people, there will always be a mixed group. Regular, law abiding individuals comprise about 90 %, then there are those who will go whichever way the wind seems to be blowing and if they figure they can get away with things, they will. I say they are about 7-8 %.

Then of course you'll always have the yahoos...who will not be responsible about anything...break laws, etc. I'd say they are the 1-2 percenters.

When you think about it, this is pretty well the way it is with any type of group. Motorcyclist, soccer fans, society in general.

My take anyways, after 7 + decades of life.
09-25-2021, 01:13 PM - 4 Likes   #92182
Veteran Member

Fall dinner tonight, a pot roast and veggies has been simmering in the crockpot all day.

09-25-2021, 01:18 PM - 6 Likes   #92183
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Fall dinner tonight, a pot roast and veggies has been simmering in the crockpot all day.
See? See? I KNEW you'd come around to boiling eventually.
09-25-2021, 01:33 PM - 4 Likes   #92184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
See? See? I KNEW you'd come around to boiling eventually.
Simmer down James, it's a beef chuck roast, not pork ribs.
09-25-2021, 01:37 PM - 4 Likes   #92185
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Simmer.

I see what you did there.
09-25-2021, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #92186
Pentaxian

Smells real good, I've caught a whiff all the way up here. Must be the wind direction.

Out here on the prairies, we have had Fowl Suppers (fowl, not foul ) in the fall.

They are usually run by country churches out in farm and ranch areas, and are set up to raise some funds for church projects, repairing churches.....contributing to charities, etc. Also they make good local community events, you get a chance to meet new people.

Cost is reasonable and food is always great, lots of time turkey suppers. Covid kind of closed them down last year, I'll have to keep my eye open, to see if there will be any happening this year.
09-25-2021, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #92187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grandma marked her last day of this visit by standing us some sirloin steaks for tonight’s dinner. With mushrooms, onions, pepper sauce and chips (fries if you will…) they were a great treat, done medium rare in the frying pan. Yummmeeee!
09-25-2021, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #92188
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Bob, I got a bit excited.
09-25-2021, 04:01 PM   #92189
Veteran Member

Dinner was great with Aldi's pumpkin cake roll for dessert.
Bake Shop Pumpkin Cake Roll | ALDI US
Eyelids are getting heavy.

BTW, the StL baseball Cardinals just won their 15 game in a row, breaking their old record of 14.
09-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #92190
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Well this one in Portland, Oregon is what appears to be in a light industrial district.

This one is in Kennewick, Washington. Looks like a house in a poorer section of what is a farming community.

Both have been raided by the feds.

The clubhouse in Portland successfully sued for damages resulting from a raid in 2004, and prevailed, getting a $50,000 settlement.

That same clubhouse was raided again in 2016, in connection with the murder of a former high ranking member who had stolen club money to support his drug habit. He was brutally beaten and tortured, teeth broken out, bones broken, a nipple ripped off, a nail gun used to shoot nails through his boots (with his feet in them) before he was killed, and his body dumped.

The Kennewick clubhouse was raided in 2008, four men arrested for possession of methamphetamine. Stolen property and guns were also seized.

There are endless news items regarding stories about the murders, assaults, robberies, drug activity involving these people. They seem to get plenty of press for 1%rs.