Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #92371
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mrs Bob didn't get her booster, they said she needs to wait 2 weeks after the flu shot she got yesterday.
I told the pharmacist I had gotten the flu shot yesterday, he didn't respond and gave me my booster.
Seems the CDC did recommend 2 weeks at first, then changed it to same day is ok.
Guess CVS pharmacies didn't get the memo.

10-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #92372
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Mrs Bob didn't get her booster, they said she needs to wait 2 weeks after the flu shot she got yesterday.
I told the pharmacist I had gotten the flu shot yesterday, he didn't respond and gave me my booster.
Seems the CDC did recommend 2 weeks at first, then changed it to same day is ok.
10-08-2021, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #92373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Wife and me were rushing around the other day, getting stuff for Canadian Thanksgiving, which is in October, different thanksgiving date than Americans , who have theirs in November.
Many years ago that is my one-time mistake of not checking a host country's holiday calendar before planning international travel. ...we took visiting German relatives to Niagara Falls and couldn't figure out at first why we couldn't buy a bottle of wine in Ontario.

For what it is worth, living most of my life next door to Ontario, it is still hard to think of visits as 'international travel'. It has always felt more like being a guest welcome at a friend's home where some of the house rules are different.
10-08-2021, 07:24 PM - 4 Likes   #92374
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Got a bunch of extra cars and an erosion control dilemma?

10-08-2021, 11:11 PM - 4 Likes   #92375
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wife and me were rushing around the other day, getting stuff for Canadian Thanksgiving, which is in October, different thanksgiving date than Americans , who have theirs in November.

Anyway we grabbed a burger from Burger King. We rarely go there, usually if get a franchise burger it is a Papa burger from A & W. Haven't had a Wendy's or a McDonald's for awhile.

Best burger is from a local Greek family owned burger joint and it is absolutely wonderful. I've been going to this burger place since 1967, when I would ride there on my motorcycle, put the bike on it's centre stand, get the burger, sit on the bike seat backwards with my butt against the gas tank , spread out the foil paper so not to get any burger slop over on the fine Czechoslovakian or Japanese seats leather of my different motorcycles, then tuck into it and enjoy.

Now I just drive down to the same Greek burger joint in our Chevy SUV, order curbside, put the order in the cargo area, drive home and put the hamburger...with chili, onions, cheese (real cheese, not cheese food) , etc...on a plate and eat it with a knife and fork. You have to, as this double patty burger with chili etc...is more of a sit down meal.

I've often wondered why this non franchise, local burger joint produces the best burger I've ever had....for over a half century. My wife says, fresh, quality ingredients.

They have great quality control, it still tastes as wonderful as it did, on the back of a motorcycle seat in 1967, as it does in our current castle.

How they do it, I do not know. I know McDonald's say their big Mac uses a special sauce...but....
Because it is not a franchise. The business owner is directly involved in running the site and the food is designed to be good, not designed to be repeatable by still pimply kids, and manufactured for same experience worldwide as cheap as possible (for the manufacturer).
10-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #92376
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
From the news here it seems the NHS is planning same visit flu and booster. Motivation is to save resources.
10-08-2021, 11:19 PM   #92377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Many years ago that is my one-time mistake of not checking a host country's holiday calendar before planning international travel. ...we took visiting German relatives to Niagara Falls and couldn't figure out at first why we couldn't buy a bottle of wine in Ontario.

For what it is worth, living most of my life next door to Ontario, it is still hard to think of visits as 'international travel'. It has always felt more like being a guest welcome at a friend's home where some of the house rules are different.
Was that because the wine was sold out for the holiday or because of licensing rules preventing sale?

10-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #92378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
From the news here it seems the NHS is planning same visit flu and booster. Motivation is to save resources.
Except a lot of people are going to be eligible for the flu jab well before they are eligible for the booster. At the moment even those eligible for both are being given separate appointments in different locations. A lot of the original vaccination centres have also been closed. I know someone who had to travel 30 miles for a booster.

10-09-2021, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #92379
Pentaxian

First time ( 45 years ago) my wife and I went to England for a holiday, one day in a rural area, we couldn't figure out why we were having so much trouble finding any place open to eat. After asking around, we found out that the day was a Bank Holiday. We came across a local amateur soccer game and they had a guy selling hot dogs. Pulled in, watched a bit of the game and had lunch.

I agree. It is hard to think of popping over the US border as an international border. When I was young my parents had made arrangements with a family to park their trailer at a northern Minnesota farm. Every weekend starting in May, we would pick up our RV at the farm, always have a pleasant chat with the family, then haul it out about 20 miles to our spot at the state park. During the months of July and August each year we'd camp for these two months, with my mom, grandma, sister and myself. Dad would get about 4 weeks holiday during the year, which would be spread throughout July and August.

We got to know a lot of Americans from the nearby town and as fellow campers. I figure in total as a kid, counting weekends, trips to Illinois, Missouri to visit relatives and family friends, and all that camping in Minnesota.....I 'lived' in the States for around 18 months or so.

When I think of the USA, I have warm memories .
10-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #92380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Except a lot of people are going to be eligible for the flu jab well before they are eligible for the booster. At the moment even those eligible for both are being given separate appointments in different locations. A lot of the original vaccination centres have also been closed. I know someone who had to travel 30 miles for a booster.
Not surprised there is such a difference between the media release version and what is actually done. There seems to be some kind of love of appearing to do these things in a grand performance manner here rather than a low key vaccination in amongst other business at the local GP clinic. I did get my Covid vaccine at my GP clinic but it was in a special performance that filled the atrium with 8 stations and had a queue way across the block outside. I could have been given it the same time I went there for a routine blood test with the nurse in a consult room. One person one cost multiple tasks achieved. Efficient use of everyone’s time.
10-09-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #92381
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Was that because the wine was sold out for the holiday or because of licensing rules preventing sale?
Way back when I turned 18 we would go up to Vancouver, British Columbia on weekends as the drinking age was still 18 there. At the time the provincial laws prohibited liquor sales on the Sabbath. Although I don't recall if sales were also prohibited on holidays, but it was a possibility.

So I suspect the reason was that it was a holiday and licenced premises were closed.
10-09-2021, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #92382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Pretty much all alcohol based beverages in Ontario at least, are sold through province controlled outlets. Thanksgiving being an official holiday, none of the outlets were open.
The Niagara region is noted for its wines, yet difficult to impossible to purchase in the U.S., and since we were in the area at the request of our German relatives...

That whole trip was a hoot. These were first cousins to my father-in-law and having lived in East Germany since the war, their first trip to North America. They spoke precious little English and we spoke precious little German. Still we got along very well. We asked what they wanted to do while here? Niagara Falls. They had NO concept of the size of North America compared to Europe. They assumed our discussion of distance was exaggerated and/or mistranslated to metric. It is a 17-hour drive between our home and the Falls - and that is the shortest route cutting north of Lake Erie through southern Ontario. They couldn't truly comprehend the distance as Michigan borders with Ontario. After nearly a dozen hours with short meal and sight-seeing stops and still driving in Michigan, they began to understand we weren't wrong. We arrived well after dark and they stumbled exhausted into their hotel room. They were not at all disappointed with the Falls area the next day, in spite of the holiday crowds, but were not looking forward to the return trip to our home.

---------- Post added 10-09-21 at 11:28 AM ----------

I agree. It is hard to think of popping over the US border as an international border..
I know living close to the border along Lake Superior has some impact. My wife and I have been privileged to have traveled in three continents. Inevitably somewhere on each trip we have been identified as Canadians rather than Americans based on our accent. WE can hear the difference between our speech and our neighbors' - and vice versa - but it isn't always apparent to people from outside our two countries - including other English speaking members of the Commonwealth. Or in fact, some Americans.
10-09-2021, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #92383
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Inevitably somewhere on each trip we have been identified as Canadians rather than Americans based on our accent.
I was born in southern California, lived on the east and west coasts. In 1965 dad was transferred to NAS Whidbey. Save for two years, 68 and 69, I have been living in Washington state.

Any time I travel to other parts of the US I get asked if I am Canadian, because of my "accent".

I suppose if I traveled abroad I could pass for Canadian, eh?
10-09-2021, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #92384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember the great scramble to get across the NY state border on evenings off because the limit in Pa was 21 and NY was 18. Camp counsellors from the UK would walk miles to reach a bar just across the bridge on the Delaware River. Some walked a good deal farther to get back before curfew and the difference could be staggering ... until one toppled off that bridge and broke her back. Ouch.
10-09-2021, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #92385
Pentaxian

Well it looks like my home town has been appointed the Bacon Centre of Excellence. I'm guessing for the....World !

https://globalnews.ca/news/8250494/winnipeg-jobs-bacon-centre-of-excellence/
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »