Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2021, 04:29 PM - 4 Likes   #92521
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
For me it has always been Mrs Rod.
We now know that Mrs Rod peers over the shoulder of Mr Rod when he posts.

10-13-2021, 04:55 AM - 3 Likes   #92522
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Son sent us a video of our 3.5 year old grandson, Bobby, riding a pedal bike going like gangbusters.
He was pretty darn fast on his glider (no pedals) bike too.
10-13-2021, 07:30 AM - 2 Likes   #92523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I am a very small contributor to The Thread. But I noticed sometimes there is talk about cars. I have been told I have done something stupid with my car last month and to some extent I have been. My car is a VW mark 4 from 2001 with right now more than 527000 kilometers on it: more than 495.500 American miles. Rust is becoming a problem and it is leaking some oil. Most likely from the crankshaft I have been told. And I decided to go on holiday with it and travel from the north of the Netherlands to the north of Norway because I didn't want to fly there. That part of the plan worked out. My turbo quit working probably just before boarding the ferry to Helsinki. But having driven the Golf for rather a long time I figured it probably was an air hose feeding the turbo because I had trouble with that before. Near the Swedish border it was repaired for 30 euro's.

But then I did something really stupid by taking a dirt road to a river I wanted to fish. My best friend locally said it was possible. But he is 85 years old and probably does not have any recent experience with the road. Somebody else who has that experience said it could only be done with a 4x4 car or a SUV with front wheel drive. But my friend convinced me at least a part of the road shouldn't be a problem. So I started out up the mountains and it was slow going in first gear with some sketchy parts were rocks collided with the undercarriage. But I completed the part my friend should be possible. And then the really stupid part begins because I got a bit cocky and thought the last bit to the river should then be possible too...

I was mistaken. The road was horrible with one long part where the road had been turned in a stream with only rocks remaining. And now way to turn around... I was going from left to right trying to avoid stuff that would have mauled my oil pan or exhaust using my wheels to drive over those parts; mostly rocks. The goal was getting to the beginning of the footpath after a bridge over the river. But when I reached the river and realized there were plenty of camping spots I realized I should stop driving. I stayed for three nights. There were lots of hunters about. One of them in an old 4x4 Toyota minivan told me with the road becoming worse every year and he probably wasn't able to come here next year.

One part of the road.

On my way down Norwegians were asking me if I was alright. I thanked them and told them I had enough food and all the means to get of the mountain. The car was a different story. It took me two hours to drive the 16 kilometer back to the main road. And that is my story as a stupid tourist from a country without rocks and mountains.

The car in the wilderness...
That is something I would do....
10-13-2021, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #92524
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I just had a shot of Glenfiddich.

Twelve year old even.

My neighbor gave me a bottle the other day.

The same neighbor that gave me the 60" flat screen TV.

Skal!
Quite a good neighbour to have!

10-13-2021, 07:36 AM - 4 Likes   #92525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Geez....another stuffing guy...

You're right, Canadian Thanksgiving day is Monday, but we usually have it on Sunday as it gave us time to rest up for the rigors of work, when we worked, prior to retirement.

The American Thanksgiving in November, starts the Xmas season off, even up here, for store sales, etc. I like thanksgiving, Xmas turkey, but I have to admit my wife does all the cooking and it is a lot.
We had the feast on the Saturday at the step daughter's place. The missus and I cooked turkey and fixin's for a dozen. All worked out well thank goodness.
10-13-2021, 07:45 AM - 4 Likes   #92526
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I know your name, just can't remember your face.
Hah, that's me looking in the mirror before my first mug of coffee. Any time of day, really.
10-13-2021, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #92527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it's over. Almost two months straight of visitors. My brother for 6 weeks, the in-laws for a week and then my son. We love them all but it's nice to get our house back.

10-13-2021, 07:52 AM - 6 Likes   #92528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of highlights: muddin' with the FIL, removing walls to get furniture into the basement, roads not meant for a VW, vivid autumn colours, .
Attached Images

10-13-2021, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #92529
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

When we last left off....weren't you going into deepest Norway on some kind of trip, or have I got that wrong ?
I did? Well, if you say so... You probably remember better what I did last month than I do. I rarely remember yesterday's lunch.

Hmm, no, I'm fairly certain I went nowhere last month (apart from visitng famliy, all of which are to be found withn a 120 km radius from here).
10-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #92530
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
We had the feast on the Saturday at the step daughter's place. The missus and I cooked turkey and fixin's for a dozen. All worked out well thank goodness.
My wife cooked the turkey, made the stuffing, pies and buns and we brought over to her mother's.
10-13-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #92531
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I did? Well, if you say so... You probably remember better what I did last month than I do. I rarely remember yesterday's lunch.

Hmm, no, I'm fairly certain I went nowhere last month (apart from visitng famliy, all of which are to be found withn a 120 km radius from here).
Times does fly by. We've been visited or have been visited by family members this Canadian thanksgiving. See our son and his girlfriend today, then things get back to our normal.
10-13-2021, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #92532
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . . removing walls to get furniture into the basement . . . .
So, after placing the furniture in the basement, did the wall go back up, or did you have the foresight to put a door there?
10-13-2021, 10:28 AM - 3 Likes   #92533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife cooked the turkey, made the stuffing, pies and buns and we brought over to her mother's.
I made the stuffing the day before at our place, then made the turkey, potatoes, and the gravy. The missus made, carrots, brussel sprouts and BACON. Her daughter bought pies and the sister in law made coffee cake. The whole crew except me, cleaned up.
10-13-2021, 10:31 AM - 4 Likes   #92534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So, after placing the furniture in the basement, did the wall go back up, or did you have the foresight to put a door there?
Well, that corner of the kitchen was luckily still unfinished after our renos; it's the last bit to do upstairs. We are going to make a thin pantry against that wall. The sofa will only come up out of the basement in many piece after I am dead and gone. It was a terribly design piece of furniture as the cushions were not removeable. Had they been, then getting the sofa around that corner would have been possible.
10-13-2021, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #92535
Pentaxian

I made the stuffing the day before at our place, then made the turkey, potatoes, and the gravy. The missus made, carrots, brussel sprouts and BACON. Her daughter bought pies and the sister in law made coffee cake. The whole crew except me, cleaned up.
I'm not good in the kitchen, a fact I have embellished and reinforced over the years. I have a story about freezer burn roast beef and first dinner date with my wife, before she was my wife, at my old abode.

So I picked up food items, picked up people, delivered them, loaded things up for the trip back.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »