Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2021, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #92641
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
And here we are on our newest car at over 48k km (30k miles), and it's never had the oil changed!
Well depending on the engine...it could be a Yikes !

10-16-2021, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #92642
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I enjoy watching curling, and bowling, and occasionally golf.
Baseball, football (both types), BORING.
I'd rather eat a barbed wire sandwich while listening to disco than watch a basketball game.
Hockey I can tolerate, though I do develop an almost irresistible urge to destroy someone else's property after I watch a game.
I played hockey (defence) from about age 6 to 15 or so. Never anywhere near pro material. Practiced twice a week ....two- 2 hour sessions, at the outdoor rink in - 30 to -35, for those 9 long years. Game every Saturday. Practiced body checking, hip checking, skating backwards continually. Got hammered or did some rather mild hammering myself.... into the boards..... on a regular basis.

Odd thing is that I rarely watch hockey anymore, and can't remember if I've ever paid to go to a pro game. When I watch (on TV) some defenceman throwing a hip check, shoulder check or getting clipped on the knee by a stick...I shudder...and my replacement shoulder and right knee which has been operated on.... wince... in concert.

As far as curling goes...I remember splitting my pants, right down the rear seam in front of the audience in the curling arena. Nope, I'm not much of a sportsman.
10-16-2021, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #92643
Pentaxian

That's a rarity. LOL
I'm trying to digress less, as my digressions lose their impact.
10-16-2021, 04:15 PM - 3 Likes   #92644
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
There is a YouTube photography vlogger who insists if you don't enjoy his videos you should give them two dislikes – try it some time...
Two dislikes equal a like.

It's because if you "Like" a post by the same person without liking more than three people's posts in between it doesn't count. You can see in the screenshot here, the badge of a different colour, that one doesn't count towards the total:
I have wondered why those like medallions is were greyed out.

That is a very valid point Racer.

But, err, maybe a few less photos in this category next time...
Sorry #4, I was on a roll.

Haha that's genius. But I really dislike it so I'm going to give it three
Ergo, a dislike.

Genius #4.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There's a good few of those I'd not want to see first thing in the morning.
Most I wouldn't want to see at any time of the day or night. Mostly creepy fringe people who are best avoided, especially the guy with his right eyeball tattooed black, wearing the characteristic orange prison jumpsuit.

When I see people like the guys with all the facial piercings, I am inclined to ask if it hurt much when they fell face first into daddy's tackle box.

I'd rather eat a barbed wire sandwich while listening to disco than watch a basketball game.
I'd rather eat barbed wire than listen to disco.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I`m out of here...
Welcome back

Come back again when you can't stay so long, eh?

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Guess my wife was right.
A wife is always right #2.

If ever there is a question as to a wife being right or wrong, refer to the above statement.

I have always been a stickler for servicing by the book, or better than the book. In fact I get the oil and oil filter changed at 5000 kms (3000 miles), rather than the manufacturer's recommendation which is determined by a computer in the vehicle and can range up to as high as 12,500 kms.

I've always done this as stretching out changing oil in an engine, can lead to sludge build up in oil galleries, etc. Now, I'm just using this as an example, and not intending to get into a discussion of what is good maintenance or not good. Although I will mention that we had a '76 Chevy Impala, in our family for for 21 years, owned first by my father, then by me...and the oil/filter was always changed at 5000 kms. Eventually the vehicle rusted out. I gave the remains to my godson , who is a hot rodder, and he used many of the parts in his and other's street rods.

A mechanic friend of his took part of the engine ( a 350 cube V8) and was amazed at the condition it was in after so many miles and years of service. He indicated no sludge, little appreciable wear, etc...and pronounced it ready and fit, to be used as the basis for a souped up engine for a '81 Firebird.
I used to change crankcase oil every 3,000 miles. The newer vehicles have longer change intervals due to advances in lubricant technologies, and better filters. Semi trucks are now at 25,000 mile oil change intervals. My Goon has a 7,500 mile change interval. I change it every 5,000 miles, as it is easy to remember, 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.

Besides, oil is still relatively cheap compared to rebuild costs.

As you know I am currently replacing 16 bent valves. I decided, after having a look at the cylinders, that I don't need to bother with a full teardown and rebuild, at just shy of 200,000 miles.

Anyway, I digress.
Well, you are the Duke of Digression.

The dealer's algorithm checked out my maintenance record and triggered a letter to me, that indicated I'm not following the maker's maintenance recommendations and to contact them at once. I called the service manager of the dealer and he looked at how often I got the vehicle serviced and apologized, saying I exceeded the manufacturer's recommendations and that confused the algorithm of their computer monitoring system. In fact he said quietly, he did the same as me, as far as oil service changes, etc....for his vehicles.

I sometimes have thought that computer models are a way of predicting issues, monitoring systems, etc...but as with any system, they can make errors.
They wrote the algorithm to coerce you into following the longer service intervals so they can sell you an engine overhaul sooner than you would need doing more frequent oil changes.

10-16-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #92645
Pentaxian

Last month my truck was due for both oil/filter change and fuel filter change (there are two fuel filters; one at the tank and one under the hood). For this climate the mfg requires full synthetic oil (which I have used for years anyway, even if not required).
Anyhoo..... I took it in for my appointment and 45 minutes and $457.00 later I drove it home.

Diesels, particularly in this climate, are a real pain. I'm a glutton for punishment.
Diesel oil changes can be expensive.

I've only driven a Dodge (one ton) with Cummins diesel once. I was impressed with the torque, and it had a flatbed , with fifth wheel, and a small tractor on top of the trailer.. Handled the weight of the trailer very well, also excellent handling, braking, etc.
10-16-2021, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #92646
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

A wife is always right #2.

If ever there is a question as to a wife being right or wrong, refer to the above statement.

Truer words were never spoken. And invariably spoken by older, experienced, long term married men.

My Goon has a 7,500 mile change interval. I change it every 5,000 miles, as it is easy to remember, 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.

Besides, oil is still relatively cheap compared to rebuild costs.

As you know I am currently replacing 16 bent valves. I decided, after having a look at the cylinders, that I don't need to bother with a full teardown and rebuild, at just shy of 200,000 miles.

Regular oil and filter changes are an important factor, as to why your Subaru engine doesn't need a rebuild @ 200,000 miles, IMO.

Well, you are the Duke of Digression.

A title I hold proudly. BTW, thank you Mark J. for the appointment.

They wrote the algorithm to coerce you into following the longer service intervals so they can sell you an engine overhaul sooner than you would need doing more frequent oil changes.
That's exactly right. Bob Lutz, famous CEO, etc. at a lot of different car makers, took over part of a well known car maker over in Europe some time back. He was concerned that a particular engine in the line, had an abnormal rate of camshaft replacements at around 20,000 miles...very short life for this component. He looked into it at his arrival, and decided that the cam material had to be improved.

He got a bit of pushback from the bean counters in the company who said, leave the cam's material alone, as these camshaft replacements, are one of best part sellers in the parts department and then there are the dealer service costs, that are profitable to remove and replace the part ...and this can be done a number of times during the life of the vehicle. Bob pointed out that, not really as many customers might not buy another of the make, as a result. The bean counters got the hint.
10-16-2021, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #92647
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Last month my truck was due for both oil/filter change and fuel filter change (there are two fuel filters; one at the tank and one under the hood). For this climate the mfg requires full synthetic oil (which I have used for years anyway, even if not required).
Anyhoo..... I took it in for my appointment and 45 minutes and $457.00 later I drove it home.

Diesels, particularly in this climate, are a real pain. I'm a glutton for punishment.
That's a lot of money for two and a half gallons of oil and three filters. Amazes me when I hear what people pay for service on their vehicles.

Guess I have saved myself a few bucks over the years, eh?

I like to use OEM filters and when I bought the Ram I stopped at the parts counter before driving it home to buy a case of oil and fuel filters.

The oil filters were reasonably priced, nonmore costly than a top of the line NAPA filter.

The fuel filters were a crazy amount, something like four times the price of an oil filter, so I passed. I did ask to look at one and opened the box, noting the brand name Fleetrite, and a number. When I got home I opened up the fuel filter cannister (my Cummins only has one, on the left side of the engine), and printed on the filter was a number and the name Fleetrite. The local Navistar dealer carries Fleetrite.

The fuel filter cost four bucks and change at the truck shop. Half the cost of the Mopar oil filters and a fraction of

They also sell the Fleetrite oil filter for the Cummins ISB engine, which besides being used in the Dodge pickup, was also used in dozens of other light and medium duty trucks. About 25% cheaper than the Mopar oil filters, and most likely the Mopar filters are made by Fleetrite for Dodge, on a contract.

I only ever bought that first case of oil filters from the dealer, and use the Fleetrite from the local truck shop.

I do buy genuine Subaru filters on the Goon, and genuine Toyota filters on Mrs. Racer's Corolla, as I find them online cheaper than the aftermarket ones at NAPA.

10-16-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #92648
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I have relatives who live in Vancouver, B.C. According to them, mostly transplanted prairiites...it's always raining on the BC coast. Heck, they even carry umbrellas in their vehicles, the rain is that bad.
Seattlites call the umbrella a bumbershoot.

My observation is that most natives and transplants that have lived in the area a very long time (like me) rarely use one. One becomes oblivious to the rain, it falls on the shoulders much like the sunshine and snow.

I own a few, but have used them more for shade when sitting on pregrid in my racecar than to keep the rain off. In fact I use them so they infrequently that I have never worn one out.
10-16-2021, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #92649
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now on the other hand, I don't want her to know that she is perhaps smarter than me, so I won't tell her she was on to something.

This way, I'll keep her feelings of superiority at a manageable level.
Good plan.
10-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #92650
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I`m out of here...
???????
10-16-2021, 07:36 PM - 3 Likes   #92651
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's a lot of money for two and a half gallons of oil and three filters. Amazes me when I hear what people pay for service on their vehicles.

Guess I have saved myself a few bucks over the years, eh?

I like to use OEM filters and when I bought the Ram I stopped at the parts counter before driving it home to buy a case of oil and fuel filters.

The oil filters were reasonably priced, nonmore costly than a top of the line NAPA filter.

The fuel filters were a crazy amount, something like four times the price of an oil filter, so I passed. I did ask to look at one and opened the box, noting the brand name Fleetrite, and a number. When I got home I opened up the fuel filter cannister (my Cummins only has one, on the left side of the engine), and printed on the filter was a number and the name Fleetrite. The local Navistar dealer carries Fleetrite.

The fuel filter cost four bucks and change at the truck shop. Half the cost of the Mopar oil filters and a fraction of

They also sell the Fleetrite oil filter for the Cummins ISB engine, which besides being used in the Dodge pickup, was also used in dozens of other light and medium duty trucks. About 25% cheaper than the Mopar oil filters, and most likely the Mopar filters are made by Fleetrite for Dodge, on a contract.

I only ever bought that first case of oil filters from the dealer, and use the Fleetrite from the local truck shop.

I do buy genuine Subaru filters on the Goon, and genuine Toyota filters on Mrs. Racer's Corolla, as I find them online cheaper than the aftermarket ones at NAPA.
Hi Racer
Having worked in an manufacturing company for the automotive industry , yes in many cases OEM and spares are indeed the same.. I worked on the water pump line and the dies where of the OEM company but the spares had the company logo ground off ( for after market retailers ie Repco etc ).

Dave
10-16-2021, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #92652
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I enjoy watching curling, and bowling, and occasionally golf.
Baseball, football (both types), BORING.
Hockey I can tolerate, though I do develop an almost irresistible urge to destroy someone else's property after I watch a game.
There are six brands of football.
10-17-2021, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #92653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
There are six brands of football.
Yeah, and none of them appeal in this house. Grand Prix racing is a different story, especially in the wet!

Last edited by StiffLegged; 10-17-2021 at 12:37 AM.
10-17-2021, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #92654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Diesel oil changes can be expensive.
On every service invoice for my diesel car is another item, flushing oil. So they don’t just drain and refill with new filters, they clean it out too. Over a hundred thousand miles and it still runs tight and clean.

The works vehicle has a 22,000 mile service interval and I dread the likely costs etc down the line.
10-17-2021, 02:14 AM - 2 Likes   #92655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

odd conceptions of beauty
Sorry, Racer; not a like from me. (no offense meant - and I'm sure that it hurt you just to put it all together.)
That is the worst post I have ever seen.
Everyone of those "faces" belongs to someone who doesn't know who he/she is, but who is trying to be someone/something.