Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2021, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #92761
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Every horse is capable of 1 horsepower.

But a draft horse is capable of more torque (the real measure of power) than a Shetland pony.
Draft horse ...horsepower vs Shetland pony.... horsepower. Interesting .

Yep, a Draft horse would have a lot more torque...pulling power than a Shetland.

10-19-2021, 04:43 PM - 3 Likes   #92762
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Congrats!

Does your mom live near you Racer?
She has lived within an hour drive, give or take, ever since I moved out on my own when I was around 16.

Since she sold her property and home, and beekeepers supply business and apiaries, about 15 years ago, she has been a snowbird. She bought some property up in the foothills near Sultan, Washington, and a motorhome. The first few years she drove that motorhome all over the Lower 48 from early to mid September through late March early April, catching up with family and friends and generally seeing the USA. At some point she started going to some RV park out in the Arizona desert between Phoenix and Tucson for the winter, then back to Sultan for the summer.

A couple years back she said it would be her last trip south, then she hooked the car to the tow bar and headed for Arizona.

She did the same thing last year, but I think the isolation of Covid in a desert RV park was too much. My kid brother has been supposedly fixing up a residential thing in a pole barn on her property (bleeding her dry actually, he’s been at it for almost 15 years), as he is supposed to be a carpenter. It was supposed to be finished every fall for, I dunno, 4, 5 years now. Still needs the cabinets, trim and flooring done, and I haven’t seen any progress for the last two years.

The kid disappoints me.

I don’t understand why she doesn’t just hire someone to finish it up, and stop giving my brother money when he doesn’t do anything.

It isn’t like she doesn’t have the money. When she sold the other property she got $2.3 million, and a couple hundred thousand for the business and apiary.

I don’t inquire about her finances, nor does my sister.

But I do know that mom has given large sums to my brother (supposedly paying him to build the apartment in the barn), and my sister’s daughter and her daughter’s (now) ex husband (paid off their mortgage and credit card debt)

She had her last colony of bees a couple years ago. I have snagged a few 5 gallon pails and tucked them away in the basement. I keep a few quart jars in the pantry and when I open the last one I scoop out some from a bucket and place it in a double boiler to get it like new again.

It is awesome stuff, never goes bad, and she has won blue ribbons at the state fair every year she has entered some.

I may have mentioned that mom is exhibiting signs of dementia. She got lost driving over to my place a while back, then didn’t recall having seen me at all a week later. Talking with her is an exercise in patience. She will ask about something, I’ll answer her, then a few minutes later she will ask the same thing again, like, “Are you still working, or did you retire yet?”

At dinner the other day she asked me that several times. I did manage to break the chain when I showed her some pictures of the airplane she used to own and fly, and other pictures I have from back then.
10-19-2021, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #92763
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
...nothing like a big pike smash into your fly .
Ow, I bet it hurt some, eh?
10-19-2021, 06:25 PM - 5 Likes   #92764
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

She has lived within an hour drive, give or take, ever since I moved out on my own when I was around 16.

Since she sold her property and home, and beekeepers supply business and apiaries, about 15 years ago, she has been a snowbird. She bought some property up in the foothills near Sultan, Washington, and a motorhome. The first few years she drove that motorhome all over the Lower 48 from early to mid September through late March early April, catching up with family and friends and generally seeing the USA. At some point she started going to some RV park out in the Arizona desert between Phoenix and Tucson for the winter, then back to Sultan for the summer.

A couple years back she said it would be her last trip south, then she hooked the car to the tow bar and headed for Arizona.

She did the same thing last year, but I think the isolation of Covid in a desert RV park was too much. My kid brother has been supposedly fixing up a residential thing in a pole barn on her property (bleeding her dry actually, he’s been at it for almost 15 years), as he is supposed to be a carpenter. It was supposed to be finished every fall for, I dunno, 4, 5 years now. Still needs the cabinets, trim and flooring done, and I haven’t seen any progress for the last two years.

The kid disappoints me.

I don’t understand why she doesn’t just hire someone to finish it up, and stop giving my brother money when he doesn’t do anything.

It isn’t like she doesn’t have the money. When she sold the other property she got $2.3 million, and a couple hundred thousand for the business and apiary.

I don’t inquire about her finances, nor does my sister.

But I do know that mom has given large sums to my brother (supposedly paying him to build the apartment in the barn), and my sister’s daughter and her daughter’s (now) ex husband (paid off their mortgage and credit card debt)

She had her last colony of bees a couple years ago. I have snagged a few 5 gallon pails and tucked them away in the basement. I keep a few quart jars in the pantry and when I open the last one I scoop out some from a bucket and place it in a double boiler to get it like new again.

It is awesome stuff, never goes bad, and she has won blue ribbons at the state fair every year she has entered some.

I may have mentioned that mom is exhibiting signs of dementia. She got lost driving over to my place a while back, then didn’t recall having seen me at all a week later. Talking with her is an exercise in patience. She will ask about something, I’ll answer her, then a few minutes later she will ask the same thing again, like, “Are you still working, or did you retire yet?”

At dinner the other day she asked me that several times. I did manage to break the chain when I showed her some pictures of the airplane she used to own and fly, and other pictures I have from back then.
Awesome mate. I think you need to take a few weeks vacation and go finish that fit-out for her. Honey is amazing stuff. If stored in a cool and dry place it will keep for many, many years. Truth be told, the pails are likely to degrade before the honey!

Your mom sounds quite a bit like mine. Lots of repeats. She was actually quite good on Sunday when we went for a walk at a local reserve.

Attached Images

10-19-2021, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #92765
Pentaxian

Ow, I bet it hurt some, eh?
Well yeah...the pike has large inward facing teeth....not easy to get unhooked.
10-19-2021, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #92766
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome mate. I think you need to take a few weeks vacation and go finish that fit-out for her.
Except that carpentry isn't my forte.

She refuses to hire a proper tradesman because she has done everything thus far without getting permits, and doesn't want to begin getting permits at this stage.

Honey is amazing stuff. If stored in a cool and dry place it will keep for many, many years. Truth be told, the pails are likely to degrade before the honey!
I've read that earthen jars filled with it were found in the Egyptian pyramids, and was found to be quite tasty once returned to a liquid state.

She was actually quite good on Sunday when we went for a walk at a local reserve.
Awesome Mark.

Looks like a great time.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-20-2021 at 03:20 AM.
10-19-2021, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #92767
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Except that carpentry isn't my forte.
It's a bit like a car engine, just bigger tolerances! If you can rebuild an engine, you can do anything!

10-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #92768
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Here you go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?do=finduser&liked=4

It's under "My Activity" →"Liked Posts" → "My Most-Liked Posts"
I found that navigation.

But I did not see how many likes the posts had. Even if my best had one like I would expect to see a number 1 somewhere.
10-19-2021, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #92769
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Carnation was a consortium of dairy farms.

The company still exists, owned by Nestle.

Back in the day it was all about daily delivery of fresh milk and dairy products, later also delivering fresh eggs with the dairy products.

The only connection to automobiles was that some of the products delivered to homes may have been consumed by teenage boys and young men building hot rods in their garage. Those hard working young men needed a good, hearty breakfast to start their day of building jalopies.
I used to like eating the condensed milk straight from the can. And some people I knew used the Carnation condensed milk as the milk and sweetener in very strong coffee. Very nice.

Seemed to be a SE Asian and Indochinese thing.
10-19-2021, 11:16 PM   #92770
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Carnation was a consortium of dairy farms.

The company still exists, owned by Nestle.

Back in the day it was all about daily delivery of fresh milk and dairy products, later also delivering fresh eggs with the dairy products.

The only connection to automobiles was that some of the products delivered to homes may have been consumed by teenage boys and young men building hot rods in their garage. Those hard working young men needed a good, hearty breakfast to start their day of building jalopies.
I didn't realise Carnation was ever associated with fresh milk, I thought it was just evaporated milk.

10-20-2021, 01:57 AM   #92771
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I used to like eating the condensed milk straight from the can. And some people I knew used the Carnation condensed milk as the milk and sweetener in very strong coffee. Very nice.

Interesting. It was a very popular choice when I was in the army. I suspect because the stuff lasted for days without refrigeration, provided the ants did not get into it.
10-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #92772
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Never ate it, but have used it in place of cream in coffee and tea.

But I had to give up all dairy products a few years ago when my pancreas kicked my butt.
10-20-2021, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #92773
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I didn't realise Carnation was ever associated with fresh milk, I thought it was just evaporated milk.
The genesis of Carnation Condensed milk was from a time when fresh milk was not universally available, and rarely safe to drink.

In 1899 Elbridge Stuart adapted a relatively new process of commercial evaporation of beverages.

The product became quite popular, and Stuart began providing pure bred bulls to the dairy farms that produced milk for his condensed milk business.

The town of Tolt, Washington, near Stuart's dairy farm, was renamed Carnation.
10-20-2021, 09:53 AM - 4 Likes   #92774
Veteran Member

Condensed milk... one of the main ingredients of tablet - a Scottish sweet sort of like fudge. Very tasty stuff - though there's a bit of technique involved in making it.

What is the full ingredient list? One tin of sweetened condensed milk, one kilogram of sugar, and 1/4 lb of butter.

Pretty healthy if you ask me
10-20-2021, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #92775
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Condensed milk... one of the main ingredients of tablet - a Scottish sweet sort of like fudge. Very tasty stuff - though there's a bit of technique involved in making it.

What is the full ingredient list? One tin of sweetened condensed milk, one kilogram of sugar, and 1/4 lb of butter.

Pretty healthy if you ask me
What about the chocolate?

Can’t have fudge without chocolate.