Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 10:00 AM - 3 Likes   #92776
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What about the chocolate?

Can’t have fudge without chocolate.
From wikipedia:
QuoteQuote:
Fudge is a type of sugar candy that is made by mixing sugar, butter and milk, heating it to the soft-ball stage at 240 °F (115 °C), and then beating the mixture while it cools so that it acquires a smooth, creamy consistency. In texture, this crystalline candy falls in between fondant icing and hard caramels.[1]

Fruits, nuts, chocolate, caramel, candies, sweets and other flavors are sometimes added either inside or on top. A recent trend has been to create novel flavors of fudge, giving vibrant visual appeal at the same time.

Fudge is often bought as a gift from a gift shop in tourist areas and attractions.

Chocolate fudge would just be a flavour of fudge

Anyways, tablet is much better than fudge, if I do say so myself. If I'm ever down your way I'll be sure to make some and bring it along

10-20-2021, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #92777
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What is the full ingredient list? One tin of sweetened condensed milk, one kilogram of sugar, and 1/4 lb of butter.
That sounds yummy, although I think I'd add a liberal amount of vanilla extract.
10-20-2021, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #92778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That sounds yummy, although I think I'd add a liberal amount of vanilla extract.
That's not something I've done, but there's no reason not to - I've heard of people making "vanilla sugar" first before making tablet, by putting a vanilla bean in the sugar and letting it sit for a week or two first.

As far as the texture of tablet, it sort of crumbles and melts in your mouth at the same time - I've never really had anything like it. And making it is quite a physical effort too, as after you bring it up to temperature and boiled it down a bit (don't taste this, you'll burn yourself, and don't ask me how I know!) you have to beat the mixture with a spoon non stop for a solid five to ten minutes before pouring it into the tray to set...
10-20-2021, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #92779
Veteran Member

That's not something I've done, but there's no reason not to - I've heard of people making "vanilla sugar" first before making tablet, by putting a vanilla bean in the sugar and letting it sit for a week or two first.

As far as the texture of tablet, it sort of crumbles and melts in your mouth at the same time - I've never really had anything like it. And making it is quite a physical effort too, as after you bring it up to temperature and boiled it down a bit (don't taste this, you'll burn yourself, and don't ask me how I know!) you have to beat the mixture with a spoon non stop for a solid five to ten minutes before pouring it into the tray to set...

10-20-2021, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #92780
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds a lot like divinity for texture.
10-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #92781
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Condensed milk... one of the main ingredients of tablet - a Scottish sweet sort of like fudge. Very tasty stuff - though there's a bit of technique involved in making it.

What is the full ingredient list? One tin of sweetened condensed milk, one kilogram of sugar, and 1/4 lb of butter.

Pretty healthy if you ask me
That proportion of sugar makes it a problem.
10-20-2021, 11:49 AM - 3 Likes   #92782
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And boil it?

10-20-2021, 12:59 PM - 4 Likes   #92783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tablet is a proper Scottish delicacy and a real treat, ye ken! It's guid tae see wee Bertie has learned somethin' worth learnin'! Ah'll be fair pleased tae test the next batch, aye!

(so guid, I liked it twice!)
10-20-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #92784
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And boil it?
Well, yes, as that seems to be part of the recipe.
as after you bring it up to temperature and boiled it down a bit
10-20-2021, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #92785
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm ever down your way I'll be sure to make some and bring it along
I would enjoy that.

Maybe I would make some Scottish shortbread for you. My dad was Scottish, albeit several midwestern redneck mountain generations removed, but he enjoyed things that he perceived as his ancestry.

Well, except for haggis.
10-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #92786
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

albeit several midwestern redneck mountain generations removed, but he enjoyed things that he perceived as his ancestry.
10-20-2021, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #92787
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A little more about Carnation, Carnation Farms, and E. A. Stuart.

Mr. Stuart believed that happy cows would produce more milk .

From the Carnation Farms website:

QuoteQuote:
In the breezeway of the main barn, where many of the milking cows were housed, there remains to this day a sign which lays out guidelines for how to treat the cows:

“The RULE to be observed in this stable at all times, toward the cattle, young and old, is that of patience and kindness….

Remember that this is the home of mothers. Treat each cow as a mother should be treated. The giving of milk is a function of motherhood; rough treatment lessens the flow. That injures me as well as the cow. Always keep these ideas in mind in dealing with my cattle.”

In fact, there was also no bad language allowed around the Carnation herd, both at home and when the cows would occasionally travel for exhibitions. In some of the early photographs of the barns, one can see signs that say “no swearing”.

One of Stuart's Holsteins produced over 37,000 pounds of milk in one year, when averages ran 1,500 to 1,900 pounds annually.
10-20-2021, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #92788
Pentaxian

I would enjoy that.

Maybe I would make some Scottish shortbread for you. My dad was Scottish, albeit several midwestern redneck mountain generations removed, but he enjoyed things that he perceived as his ancestry.

Well, except for haggis.
One of my grandfathers was from Scotland, and one of my wife's grandfathers was from the Loch Ness area of Scotland.

I have loved the taste of Walker's of Scotland Shortbread since I was a wee bairn...and still to this day.... always look forward to checking out my rather voluminous Xmas stocking, for a box of this favoured product.

Xmas is only a couple of months away...and already I'm starting to salivate for some Scottish shortbread. Geez, I hope the store I get it from , can get it here in time, and their shortbread shipment somehow avoids the container supply ship nightmare.
10-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #92789
Pentaxian

A little more about Carnation, Carnation Farms, and E. A. Stuart.

Mr. Stuart believed that happy cows would produce more milk .

From the Carnation Farms website:

One of Stuart's Holsteins produced over 37,000 pounds of milk in one year, when averages ran 1,500 to 1,900 pounds annually.
Geez, that must of been one huge cow...37,000 pounds of milk you say !
10-20-2021, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #92790
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Geez, that must of been one huge cow...37,000 pounds of milk you say !
Well a pint of whole milk is just over one pound.

A gallon is 8.6 pounds.

So 37,000 pounds of milk is 4,302.33 gallons.

Divide by 365 days you get a cow that produces 11.79 gallons a day.

Milk her twice a day and she is giving 5.89 gallons at each milking.

That is a lot of teat squeezing.

My folks had a cow, and I recall getting about two, maybe three gallons each milking.