Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2021, 06:02 AM - 2 Likes   #93301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good luck Bob!
Thanks Mark, I hope to get the results today.

11-19-2021, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #93302
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
what many here, call walleye
Walleye fishing is big, big I tells ya, BIG around here. Millions of dollars spent yearly.
Walleye; the flavor and texture equivalent of a soggy rice cake
11-19-2021, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #93303
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
5MB hard drive in 1956.
The guy on the fork truck needs a lesson on loading and unloading. The truck is turned the wrong way to be placing or removing the load from the airplane.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-19-2021 at 06:38 AM.
11-19-2021, 08:57 AM - 3 Likes   #93304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Walleye fishing is big, big I tells ya, BIG around here. Millions of dollars spent yearly.
They taste great here, must be our cold water.

Me, for the most part, I never was a meat fisherman. Mostly just a sports fisherman.

I used debarbed hooks, etc. Also before my arm /shoulder gave me problems, I used to love fly fishing using wet flies, mostly bigger red and white flies, which are designed for saltwater Barracuda....although these flies work well for Northern Pike.

I do recall when I was a kid in the '50's and early '60's spending my summers in Northern Minnesota, I couldn't figure out why Americans used the term 'walleye' to describe what we Manitobans referred to as Pickerel.

It wasn't till the '70's that anglers in Manitoba started calling the Walleye, the Walleye. We had called them Pickerel for years and I dunno why.

But in the end, as you say, anglers on both side of the border in this general region, do love Walleye.

Also up here, we get many anglers who come to the Red River , between Lockport and Lake Winnipeg and fish for Channel Catfish. These fish get very big and numerous in this particular area...and they are a big draw for anglers form the States and Europe, during non covid times.

The only time I've eaten Channel Cats was in the states at a BBQ restaurant. Many Canucks used to eschew eatin' catfish.

11-19-2021, 09:22 AM - 4 Likes   #93305
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

fish for Channel Catfish.
Catfish is my favorite. We have catfish here too but I haven't fished in years. After all, it's a long way to travel to do so. The Missouri River is nearly a 1/2 mile from from my house.
11-19-2021, 09:23 AM - 6 Likes   #93306
Veteran Member

Did someone mention the finest tasting fish in the world?
SD walleye must not taste so pretty good.
1987 on a remote fly-in lake in Ontario with my oldest son. He turned 12 on that trip, I turned 40 that year.
This was the total take home fish for the four of us.

11-19-2021, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #93307
Pentaxian

Catfish is my favorite. We have catfish here too but I haven't fished in years. After all, it's a long way to travel to do so. The Missouri River is nearly a 1/2 mile from from my house.
Me neither. I get my fishing license each year, (senior's-free for residents) and tell myself I'm going to get back to fishing this year, but so far, haven't acted on that.

In my case the nearest river is about a km. away...as the crow flies..or the old guy walks.

11-19-2021, 10:55 AM - 3 Likes   #93308
Pentaxian

1987 on a remote fly-in lake in Ontario with my oldest son. He turned 12 on that trip, I turned 40 that year.

# 1, I was thinking about you the other day.

I was watching a newer TV show on cable, called Moonshining Smoke Ring...or something. It is about BBQ in the Southeast USA...North Carolina, etc. So far they've done chicken, pork, etc. I'm actually enjoying watching all these guys (and gals) cooking away. Their end product looks delicious, but all their BBQ sauce ingredients are Top Secret, so I'm unable to impart any info on that front.

They cook big portions for the show, and many seem to apply the secret sauce with small mops.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...BXYxzieq72TTF3
11-19-2021, 10:57 AM - 8 Likes   #93309
Veteran Member

Scan news is good news, all stable with no progression.
Guess you all will have to put up with my great humor, wealth of knowledge, and good looks for a bit longer.

Hey I never claimed to be humble.
11-19-2021, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #93310
Veteran Member

I was watching a newer TV show on cable, called Moonshining Smoke Ring...or something. It is about BBQ in the Southeast USA...North Carolina, etc. So far they've done chicken, pork, etc. I'm actually enjoying watching all these guys (and gals) cooking away. Their end product looks delicious, but all their BBQ sauce ingredients are Top Secret, so I'm unable to impart any info on that front.

They cook big portions for the show, and many seem to apply the secret sauce with small mops.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...BXYxzieq72TTF3
Thanks #2, I hadn't heard of that one, I'll check it out.
11-19-2021, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #93311
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

One of my neighbours made a living flying small float plane out of Timmins. He had cabins on a couple of remote lakes.

The thing with Walleye is, they are awesome fresh from the lake. I don't think they keep as well as other fish if you don't cook them within a few hours.

However fresh from the lake they are the absolute best.
11-19-2021, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #93312
Pentaxian

Scan news is good news, all stable with no progression.
Guess you all will have to put up with my great humor, wealth of knowledge, and good looks for a bit longer.

Hey I never claimed to be humble.
Good news !
11-19-2021, 11:13 AM - 5 Likes   #93313
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks #2, I hadn't heard of that one, I'll check it out.
I enjoyed BBQ Brawl on Food Network. I had to laugh at it just a bit though. The contestants were supposedly some of the best and brightest BBQ chefs in the country yet not a one of them knew enough to boil the meat first.
11-19-2021, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #93314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not the same fish as up here. I will echo BobLes' sentiments, the pickerel/walleye caught up here is come of the best fish I have ever tasted.
11-19-2021, 12:34 PM - 4 Likes   #93315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So just for grins I put this together.