11-22-2021, 10:26 AM - 5 Likes   #93391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

11-22-2021, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #93392
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Omelets are good too for using up the bits and bobs.
Yes! Omelets or breakfast hash; cus everything goes good with little bits of bacon
11-22-2021, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #93393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have seen several knots marked as not safe for synthic ropes. Not that I can come up with any; I need to know the knots which are safe, not the ones which aren't.

Of course, if you really want to find out you could always ask the International Guild of Knot Tyers. Yes, it's a thing. You can find them here: Home - IGKT.net
You see this when fishing where different materials do not work well with a particular knot. Knots that work just fine with monofilament may not work so well with braid.
11-22-2021, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #93394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I still find it hard to watch people waste food and make a conscious effort to make sure all leftovers are eaten.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So it's not just me then? Having leftovers for lunch, as I do most days.
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I too feel offended when people waste food.
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Yup, same with Ms CharLac and myself. We are very displeased with ourselves if any food goes to waste. Stir fries are the best, load everything from the fridge into the wok and serve!

Add me to that list, I can't stand it when people waste food.

And leftovers most days - often cooking we'll do a bunch extra and freeze in meal size portions, you then eventually get a freezer full of different instant meals to choose from. And much much nicer than any of that processed microwave food crap.

11-22-2021, 01:42 PM - 3 Likes   #93395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
You see this when fishing where different materials do not work well with a particular knot. Knots that work just fine with monofilament may not work so well with braid.
I don't think sailing ships or theatre curtains have ever been rigged with monofilament or fishing braid! Seriously, if there are useful knots which don't work with synthetic rope I'd like to know, because I don't know any like that and there's no excuse for not knowing useful knots.

Did you know fishing tackle makers many years ago would tie any number of tackle knots for a fee but kept the details of the knots secret? Until a seafarer set some in wax, sliced the knots with a scalpel, studied them under a microscope and published his findings. I'm sure the tackle makers wanted to keelhaul him after that.
11-22-2021, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #93396
Pentaxian

Tonight's shop-bought but very nice moussaka and fresh veg vielded another plateful for tomorrow's lunch - and the Sunday roasts normally result in bowlfuls of mixed veg that go in the small freezer ready for the basis of quick meals "whenever"
11-22-2021, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #93397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Seriously, if there are useful knots which don't work with synthetic rope I'd like to know, because I don't know any like that.
I can't think of any off the top of my head either (even had a look in the mirror, and there weren't any on the top of my head either )

There are some knots that certainly slip in certain synthetic ropes/cord that's quite slippy, and which wouldn't slip with natural rope - but there are also synthetic rope that it wouldn't slip in either.

11-22-2021, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #93398
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I’d be interested to know which knots are unsuitable for synthetic ropes? Or is it just the differences in characteristics as a whole? Synthetic ropes certainly weren’t available in the days of working sail ships but I’m not aware of the surviving historic ships avoiding them.
On 4 September 1981 four transmission line builders were killed when there was a failure of truckies knot (some kind of knot that effectively shortens rope when slung across a load) with a synthetic rope which could not support the stresses resulting, and the knot slipped a bit. They were using the rope as a temporary guy of a structure they were building and it all fell down.

Four men died, there was an inquest, and the engineer who designed the structure was shown to be not responsible for the error in construction techniques but he suffered stress induced tumours on his face and had to take early retirement.
11-22-2021, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #93399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Omelets are good too for using up the bits and bobs.
Bobs, oh no!
11-22-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #93400
Pentaxian

I have seen several knots marked as not safe for synthic ropes. Not that I can come up with any; I need to know the knots which are safe, not the ones which aren't.

Of course, if you really want to find out you could always ask the International Guild of Knot Tyers. Yes, it's a thing. You can find them here: Home - IGKT.net
The guys who wrote your source must have been reading a Volkswagen manual - full of Auctung notices, but not clear explanation of what you should do!
11-22-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #93401
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Tell me about it. Our home is 115 years old. We have several windows where the ropes for the lower sash have broken. To retrieve the weight and string new rope requires removal of trim and a blind-secured panel. Truly blind after 115 years of new paint. If you are fortunate in removing the irreplaceable* trim without breaking it, found and removed the blind screw securing the weight pocket panel and removed the panel without damage, you will still likely have to strip and refinish the wood and replace the rusted steel screws to reassemble.

*If you break the (usually brittle) trim such that it cannot be repaired via glue and clamps, you have two choices - replace ALL the window trim in the room, or use the remaining bits of trim to create a custom planner knife and create new trim - further, if the wood is stained rather than painted, you have to try to find wood and finishes that match the rest of the room's woodwork.

Needless to say, we have some nice finished dowels to use as props for some of our windows because I haven't taken the time or risk to replace sash weight ropes.
Ah yes, the dowel fix! Some sashes rather cleverly have the access panel accessible without needing to remove the trim. Often, the easiest is to cut a new access panel using a multitool type saw with a nice fine blade.
11-22-2021, 01:58 PM - 3 Likes   #93402
Veteran Member

I tie a mean square knot, that's about it.
Seems like one of the gang got into knot tying not too long ago. #2 maybe?
11-22-2021, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #93403
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cecil Rhodes went further than just a slab

(No, I did not pee on his grave.)
He's not getting out of that hole too easily!
11-22-2021, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #93404
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One would imagane it might make the plot harder to sell out of the family...
They never sell. The land is all tribally owned anyway, so never changes hands.

"Land in the Cook Islands is customarily owned, and cannot be bought freehold. The maximum lease obtainable by a non-Cook Islander is 60 years."
11-22-2021, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #93405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
On 4 September 1981 four transmission line builders were killed when there was a failure of truckies knot (some kind of knot that effectively shortens rope when slung across a load) with a synthetic rope which could not support the stresses resulting, and the knot slipped a bit. They were using the rope as a temporary guy of a structure they were building and it all fell down.

Four men died, there was an inquest, and the engineer who designed the structure was shown to be not responsible for the error in construction techniques but he suffered stress induced tumours on his face and had to take early retirement.
Okay, I think you're talking about a trucker's hitch which is based on the sheepshank and is a fine method of tightening down a tarpaulin or ropes holding a load down on a truck – hence the name. It's not something you'd use to hold a heavy load in place for some time because it stresses parts of the hitch much more than the rest of the rope and it's not completely secure under severe loading. I've used it often when load straps weren't available.

If that's what they were using (and only if) then it wasn't the best choice for the job.