Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #93541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
There is a distillery just north of where I grew up and we always knew the wind was northerly when we could smell the mash cooking, but I never liked that smell. A whiff of the alcohol being distilled was much more pleasant.
It can't be worse than an ICI chemical works. I went to Redcar once and the stench was unbelievable. The locals must have got used to it I suppose. We were visited a university friend and the first words spoken when he opened the door were "It stinks here Chris"

11-26-2021, 05:35 PM - 3 Likes   #93542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I like to play search Google for images, here's one that showed up for your 20s pic:
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One of my favorite musicians, and hands down my favorite bass player.

Now why did I choose this piece?
11-26-2021, 06:03 PM - 3 Likes   #93543
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Paul McCartney Wings Mull of Kintyre 1977 - YouTube

You need a new furry hat ?
11-26-2021, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #93544
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You can always tell a good bakery by the wonderful aroma that emanates from it.

The last 8 years of my career, I worked in an office building, in the older part of town. Right next to the building was a large industrial style bakery. I had a corner office, that looked out to the street and over the bakery. The loading docks were probably about 100 or so yards from me.

They made wonder bread. And for some reason, this bakery which supplied a good chunk of western Canada with this product , had not even a smidgen of an aroma of fresh baking taking place. I don't know why. It remained a mystery for me, during my 8 years at this location.

All I have are some guesses, Maybe it was the baking process, maybe the aroma, somehow never left the baking plant due to a sophisticated ventilation system, possibly it was the type of ingredients used. I don't know.
Hi les

Having worked 25 yrs at a bakery that has " Wonder " in the names of some its products the smell was always ' nice'.
Fresh bread off the line before the slicers 'beautiful '.
The roll line ( where I was mainly ) always smelt good and taste not bad either.

Dave

11-27-2021, 12:52 AM   #93545
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi les

Having worked 25 yrs at a bakery that has " Wonder " in the names of some its products the smell was always ' nice'.
Fresh bread off the line before the slicers 'beautiful '.
The roll line ( where I was mainly ) always smelt good and taste not bad either.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding, as someone who has worked in a large bakery operation.

Now the bread wasn't bad tasting , it is good bread. I have had it, but many years ago and it seemed fine to me, as far as eating the bread product.

My question is, why couldn't I smell that fresh bread smell outside of the bakery ?

My experience over the years, has been that if I'm outside of a bakery, but close to it, I can smell the fresh bread aroma, which I love.

But I never could in this case.

At the bakery you worked at, could you smell the fresh bread aroma...outside the place you worked at...say 50 feet away ?

Now, this bakery was a good sized brick building, couple stories from what I recall.

Most bakeries I've used were in comparison, small buildings. Could this be the reason...that I couldn't detect any fresh bread aroma, due to the fact that this was a large building, with probably a number of sections/rooms in it ? My thinking is that due to the large, solid (brick) construction of the bakery...was that any aroma would have difficulty emanating outside of a building, that has a number of sections/rooms inside the building.

I'm just curious, as....no kidding.... this has been a mystery to me, over the years.

I'm not a baker, just a guy who likes baked goods.

Any thoughts ?

Les
11-27-2021, 01:39 AM   #93546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Paul McCartney Wings Mull of Kintyre 1977 - YouTube

Aaarrghhh! I wish you hadn’t, ‘cos it drones on like a bad pipe band and always did. On a good day I can see the Mull which is usually a sign of impending rain. If it’s not visible it’s already raining.
11-27-2021, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #93547
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding, as someone who has worked in a large bakery operation.

Now the bread wasn't bad tasting , it is good bread. I have had it, but many years ago and it seemed fine to me, as far as eating the bread product.

My question is, why couldn't I smell that fresh bread smell outside of the bakery ?

My experience over the years, has been that if I'm outside of a bakery, but close to it, I can smell the fresh bread aroma, which I love.

But I never could in this case.

At the bakery you worked at, could you smell the fresh bread aroma...outside the place you worked at...say 50 feet away ?

Now, this bakery was a good sized brick building, couple stories from what I recall.

Most bakeries I've used were in comparison, small buildings. Could this be the reason...that I couldn't detect any fresh bread aroma, due to the fact that this was a large building, with probably a number of sections/rooms in it ? My thinking is that due to the large, solid (brick) construction of the bakery...was that any aroma would have difficulty emanating outside of a building, that has a number of sections/rooms inside the building.

I'm just curious, as....no kidding.... this has been a mystery to me, over the years.

I'm not a baker, just a guy who likes baked goods.

Any thoughts ?

Les
Hi Les

You new when you were close to the bakery the aroma was evident from 1/2 a mile away.
The building was big but not massive 2oo feet x 600 feet approx.

Dave

11-27-2021, 05:35 AM - 3 Likes   #93548
Veteran Member

The first machine sliced bread was sold right here in MO.
"The first commercial use of the machine was by the Chillicothe Baking Company of Chillicothe, Missouri, who sold their first slices on July 7, 1928."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
11-27-2021, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #93549
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
‘cos it drones on like a bad pipe band
There are good pipe bands???
11-27-2021, 06:39 AM - 4 Likes   #93550
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are good pipe bands???
No just various grades of bad.... but the bad ones are "gooder" (I mean they are more good) than the really bad ones.

Last edited by normhead; 11-27-2021 at 07:02 AM.
11-27-2021, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #93551
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Les

You new when you were close to the bakery the aroma was evident from 1/2 a mile away.
The building was big but not massive 2oo feet x 600 feet approx.

Dave
I lived for while in a rooming house in Ottawa down on Waverly Street back in the early 70s. My girl friends mom taught me to make bread and I used to do so once a week. I learned to make twice as much as I needed. The smell would permeate the whole house, and all 7 other occupants would come out of their rooms , down to the kitchen and there'd be a fresh bread party. I still remember what a happy time it was for everyone. Really the only time we ever interacted with each other.
11-27-2021, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #93552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No just various grades of bad.... but the bad ones are "gooder" (I mean they are more good) than the really bad ones.
Is the expression you are seeking “not as bad as”?
11-27-2021, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #93553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Is the expression you are seeking “not as bad as”?
I'm paraphrasing a Canadian sports announcer from 40 years ago... I guess no one else knows the reference.
11-27-2021, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #93554
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The first machine sliced bread was sold right here in MO.
"The first commercial use of the machine was by the Chillicothe Baking Company of Chillicothe, Missouri, who sold their first slices on July 7, 1928."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Shortly after which the phrase "the best invention since sliced bread" was coined.
11-27-2021, 08:42 AM - 4 Likes   #93555
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Last Monday after mom and I went to court to file the vulnerable adult restraining order against my younger brother I took her to lunch, again, for sushi. She had some grilled chicken.

I also see the sushi master knows of the livE hociR, and knows that Godzilla will save Tokyo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo