Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #95581
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
ROFL....you could say that yes!

True story.....when they were filming the early Red Dwarf shows they wanted a swear word or phrase they could get past the pretty stringent censorship rules on British TV at the time but the writers/producers couldn't think of anything suitable. The great Craig Charles a.k.a. 'Dave Lister' chimed in with a comment that back in Liverpool they had a phase for someone who was an idiot or a 'waste of time' and that was 'smeghead'. The writers/producers had never heard the term before and asked Craig if he was sure it was safe to use and he assured them it was a term local to Liverpool and no-one else would understand it! So they adopted the word and used it in many forms in the show, 'smeghead', 'smeg-off', 'smeggin' this or that, it was basically used as a replacement for a common 4-letter swearword that starts with 'F'!

It was only months (possibly a year plus) later and long after the series had become hugely popular that the writers/producers discovered to their horror that they had been duped by Craig and the term was extremely rude and offensive!

It is in fact a shortening of the medical term 'smegma' and Goggling that can lead you into a very dark place! Here's a quick definition if you are interested: Smegma Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

The fact that the writers/producers used the term for months before they found out and were then forced to keep using it because it worked in the show makes it extra funny when you hear it used.
I recall an LP by the Sex Pistols that could not be displayed in record shops here in the late 70s.

One of the title words was considered offensive.

02-22-2022, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #95582
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I recall an LP by the Sex Pistols that could not be displayed in record shops here in the late 70s.

One of the title words was considered offensive.
The Sex Pistols only ever released one studio album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols.

Interesting how what is acceptable has changed over the years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Mind_the_Bollocks,_Here%27s_the_Sex_Pistols
02-22-2022, 10:22 AM   #95583
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Sex Pistols only ever released one studio album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols.

Interesting how what is acceptable has changed over the years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Mind_the_Bollocks,_Here%27s_the_Sex_Pistols
When I used that word in the forum with asterisks to replace letters my post was edited by a moderator and I got a warning

02-22-2022, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #95584
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
When I used that word in the forum with asterisks to replace letters my post was edited by a moderator and I got a warning
certainly not for me when I was a mod. I never saw it as a big deal even in when i finally saw the album release over here (I was in London 76-77 but home before the album was released. still while I was there it was all the filth and the fury headline style
I could see posting a live GG Allin show getting you a vacation (If you want to know why watch the doc Hated

02-22-2022, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #95585
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Well, I never!

I’ll need to look into that when I’m at a proper computer. The mobile version of the forum is limited for what I can view and do.

I have discovered that the naughty word filter catches acceptable terms like ****** and *****. I suppose the puritans don’t want to see words used in a medical text.
02-22-2022, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #95586
Veteran Member

Well, I never!

I’ll need to look into that when I’m at a proper computer. The mobile version of the forum is limited for what I can view and do.

I have discovered that the naughty word filter catches acceptable terms like ****** and *****. I suppose the puritans don’t want to see words used in a medical text.
aren't Bots a joy to deal with
02-22-2022, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #95587
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I could see posting a live GG Allin show getting you a vacation (If you want to know why watch the doc Hated
GG Allin.

An odd duck, he was. His “music” was way out there, as was his behavior, self mutilation, coprophagia, excessive drug and alcohol abuse, continually threatening suicide on stage.

His lifestyle was ultimately his undoing, he died from a heroin overdose June 28, 1993.

I learned who he was while searching people born on the same day as I, in fact we were even born the same year.

Another freak born on my birthday was Michael Jackson, he was two years younger than I.

02-22-2022, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #95588
Veteran Member

GG Allin.

An odd duck, he was. His “music” was way out there, as was his behavior, self mutilation, coprophagia, excessive drug and alcohol abuse, continually threatening suicide on stage.

His lifestyle was ultimately his undoing, he died from a heroin overdose June 28, 1993.

I learned who he was while searching people born on the same day as I, in fact we were even born the same year.

Another freak born on my birthday was Michael Jackson, he was two years younger than I.
most people have never heard of him if they weren't part of the music scene he evolved from
Kind od a sad character
02-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #95589
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Kind od a sad character
A wasted life.
02-22-2022, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #95590
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I never!

Apparently it was a "masked obscenity" and was replaced with "garbage".

02-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #95591
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would it be different if you had a Fisher and Paykel?
I'm sure it would be. I like saying Robert Bosch a lot more than I like saying Fisher and Paykel.

Also, Fisher and Paykel is now little more than a subsidiary of Haier and Haier makes absolute rubbish. Every Haier appliance I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with has been a giant turd. I would not want a Haier appliance for free. (Because, no doubt, it will be the gift that keeps on giving.)
02-22-2022, 02:54 PM   #95592
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staying in a mobile home is not camping. Camping is staying in a tent.

Get your definitions right.
There are many more tents than motor homes, house busses and horse floats.
02-22-2022, 08:02 PM - 4 Likes   #95593
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and a bit on the late side, but hey, better late than pregnant!

Happy twos day Tuesday, 2-22-22!
02-22-2022, 08:15 PM - 3 Likes   #95594
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both my mother's and daughter's birthday. Mom was 88 yesterday. (Yes, afternoon of 23rd here now.)
02-22-2022, 11:29 PM - 2 Likes   #95595
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
GG Allin.

Michael Jackson is still going as a professor of management at Hull.