Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2022, 07:51 AM   #96151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In South Dakota you can be charged with criminal reckless driving for more than 15 over the limit.

♫♫ You might outrun my old Chevrolet but you can't outrun my old two-way ♫♫
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OOOq8lgrzA
See above :-)

03-28-2022, 07:52 AM   #96152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Must be the M40, Tim. Last time I drove that it had only lately opened and I was in a hurry to reach my weekend's sailing event – I was consequently doing about 85mph. My vehicle was the slowest thing on the road that evening...
I found that driving in France was like that....I was doing 160kph and folks were still hurtling past me....what a country. But then again, Italy is like that too.
03-28-2022, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #96153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Testing something while riding shotgun with my 85 year old mother with Alzheimer’s.

711 S Tulloch Rd · Apple Maps
Nice spot

S Tulloch Rd
03-28-2022, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #96154
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Nice spot

S Tulloch Rd
Yep.

Been driving past there since the early 1970s. Stopped many times at the store to pick up beer then drove east into the mountains on Monroe Camp Road to explore the forest service roads and also go shooting.

03-28-2022, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #96155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Now, see, you were going along nicely with "Ford, GM, Ram" and then, off the cliff with "Toyota, Nissan etc." But I'm joking of course.

In fairness, my son's Nissan 350Z is a lovely little car, even if it's not a truck or a Ford.
Although he's worrying me a bit with the mods he's planning. He's ordered some new wheels so that the new 225-45-R18 tires from the front become defunct, the new 245-45-R18 tires from the rear go to the front and new 275-45-R18 tires go on the rear wheels. As if it does not stick to the road like glue already! Interestingly, it all seems possible that it will fit without any mods needed to the arches and without the wheels sticking out from the arches. We shall see when the wheels arrive.

You know me, I just can't leave well enough...alone.

A 350Z...that would have some serious acceleration.

My son has a 2017 Nissan Pro4X Frontier, which he bought new, back in 2017. Been a good truck generally. He replaced his all terrain tires with Cooper AT3 4S tires, which in addition to being all terrain...also have the severe winter rating. They have been very effective in deep snow, which we have had a lot of this past winter.
03-28-2022, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #96156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Yes, just ask my wife. A couple years ago she was making the long drive into Ottawa for a day of meetings. She wasn't really paying attention and, as it was 4:30am, she really did not have any traffic to help her determine her excessive speed. Cue in the poh poh....they got her for going 132 in a 90, which, to be fair in our Forester, feels like 100kph. One court date later, she paid the reduced fine (knocked down from stunt driving to simple speeding), felt ashamed and now uses the cruise control religiously.
Our last car without cruise control was our 1981 2 door Pontiac . We traded that in around 1989.

It had the larger optional engine and on the highway, I had to constantly monitor it's speed as it would gradually and inevitably start to slowly climb up beyond the speed limit, if left to it's own devices...or in this case..it's lack of devices...a cruise control.

Next car we bought had the cruise control and I loved it. Set it and forget it.
03-28-2022, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #96157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
You know how if on the motorway you ease past another car who’s doing 56mph they’ll slowly accelerate to stay ahead?
Yep...and it drives me nuts.

03-28-2022, 11:29 AM - 5 Likes   #96158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't watch this stuff but I hear Will Smith won the Oscar for Slapstick last night. In other news, Hamilton did not win yesterday's F1
03-28-2022, 11:46 AM - 4 Likes   #96159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you know the saying Bob, "I'd rather push a dead Ford than....."
Jokes aside, I'm sure he'll enjoy his new Chev truck. I know that I would like a new full size pickup, no matter the brand name!
Mmm. It used to be said, back in the Soviet era, that Skodas had heated rear windscreens so your hands wouldn't freeze pushing 'em. There was also the guy who went into a car parts depot and asked for a new tyre for his Russian-built Lada – "It's a fair swap......" replied the guy at the counter.
03-28-2022, 11:47 AM - 3 Likes   #96160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now, there's a heartwarming story! Thanks for posting Bob.

(I do wonder if he could take the Chev and the $15,000 and get himself a Ford?)
My son had a 2016 Ford F150. time in dealership for repairs was measured in months, not days. Where he lived -40C/F was not unknown. When the temperature reached near that point the door locking mechanism would freeze up and the doors would not stay closed. If the door isn't closed the truck will not start. It took Ford quite a bit of time to figure that one out. Numerous small electrical problems too. On top of that if you live in a state that uses salt to keep the roads safe in the winter it will void the warranty on the turbocharges used for the eco boost engines if there is any rust on them. He finally traded it in for a Ram and was much happier.

I got a nice little Nissan Frontier at the same time he got his new truck. My Frontier has been rock solid.
03-28-2022, 12:25 PM - 4 Likes   #96161
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You know me, I just can't leave well enough...alone.

A 350Z...that would have some serious acceleration.

My son has a 2017 Nissan Pro4X Frontier, which he bought new, back in 2017. Been a good truck generally. He replaced his all terrain tires with Cooper AT3 4S tires, which in addition to being all terrain...also have the severe winter rating. They have been very effective in deep snow, which we have had a lot of this past winter.
We have Frontiers here, but I'm not sure if they're the same model as yours.

Here's the 350Z - not my photos. (My son's)
Attached Images

03-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #96162
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Too bad it has an automatic transmission.
03-28-2022, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #96163
Pentaxian

Beautiful car the 350Z, I was a young fellow when the original Z, the 240 came out many years ago. Think it was a round '69 or '70. Racer would know for sure.

I do remember thinking at the time, when I was able to closely examine a 240Z. Well, here we go British sports cars...this new Z, has a stylish, swoopy body, an OHC, 2.4 liter engine, 5 speed (not 4 speed transmission)...Japanese reliability. It was a game changer.

Just like the Japanese motorcycles in the late '60's, ended the reign of the British bikes.....when I saw my first Honda CB750...4 cylinder. Faster, more reliable, more durable, electric start...wow...big deal back then, 5 speeds, etc. That was it for the big British twins and almost for Harley Davidson.

I think the North American Frontiers, were different then the Frontiers around the rest of the world. They were around for a long time, but were robust, tough, reliable . My son's Pro4X has a Dana 44 rear axle, rear locker, Bilstein shocks , skid plates, torquey 4 liter V6, All Terrain Tires, bit of a factory lift over the regular models, 4 door, heavy duty roof rack, 5 speed automatic, etc.

He likes the factory off road package. Had on his previous vehicles, a Jeep with the trail Rated package, a Chevy Colorado with the Z 71 option and that truck had a very interesting engine...the OHC, 4 valves per cylinder, inline 5 cylinder engine. The Z 71 he had, was very reliable and torquey also.

Here's some stuff on the 2017 Pro4X.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...463XrWMNlZeORE

BTW, Mark. Just remembered, Back in '59-'61 or so, our neighbours had a '59 Mercury with the Lincoln Mercury (MEL ?) 430 cubic inch V8. Even though I was just a kid back then, a 430 cube V8, in 1959, was astounding.
03-28-2022, 01:09 PM - 4 Likes   #96164
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Beautiful car the 350Z, I was a young fellow when the original Z, the 240 came out many years ago. Think it was a round '69 or '70. Racer would know for sure.

I do remember thinking at the time, when I was able to closely examine a 240Z. Well, here we go British sports cars...this new Z, has a stylish, swoopy body, an OHC, 2.4 liter engine, 5 speed (not 4 speed transmission)...Japanese reliability. It was a game changer.
The Datsun 240Z was introduced in late 1969 for the 1970 model year.

All North American Datsun 240Zs had a 4 speed manual as standard, a 3 speed automatic was optional.

The 5 speed manual transmission was not offered until the 280Z was introduced.

The only other option was color.

There were 3 versions of the 240Z, sold through 1973.

Series 1 had the early transmission with a funky shifter, and rear cabin ventilation was through the lower rear portion of the hatch.

Series 2 and series 3 had an improved 4 speed manual transmission, aft cabin ventilation was rerouted through the c pillars.

Series 3 Z cars had a lower compression cylinder head, and slightly revised carburetors.

The series 1 c pillar emblem:

The series 2 and series 3 c pillar emblem:

Interesting to note, the 240Z was only sold in North America. Simultaneously the 260Z was sold in Europe, Great Britain, and Australia.

In Japan the car was called the Fairlady Z. The Fairlady Z432r was only sold in Japan, in right hand drive. Because of laws governing engine displacement the cars had a 2 liter inline 6, a twin cam 24 valve cylinder head, and triple sidedraft carburetors.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-28-2022 at 01:20 PM.
03-28-2022, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #96165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Datsun 240Z was introduced in late 1969 for the 1970 model year.
And they still look really good!