Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #96196
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Have you purchased a used 22 year old Ford, with 101K miles, for $67,500 lately?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/101k-mile-2000-ford-excursion-sells-for-6...se-184997.html
Well, it was a diesel. I don't know what the stats are on the Ford PowerJoke PowerStroke engine but I read that the average re-build mileage on the Cummins 6.7L is 350,000 miles. I assume it's similar for the Ford.

03-29-2022, 03:11 PM - 4 Likes   #96197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you purchased a used 22 year old Ford, with 101K miles, for $67,500 lately?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/101k-mile-2000-ford-excursion-sells-for-6...se-184997.html
It must have had a full tank of fuel

03-29-2022, 04:19 PM   #96198
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Yes, just ask my wife. A couple years ago she was making the long drive into Ottawa for a day of meetings. She wasn't really paying attention and, as it was 4:30am, she really did not have any traffic to help her determine her excessive speed. Cue in the poh poh....they got her for going 132 in a 90, which, to be fair in our Forester, feels like 100kph. One court date later, she paid the reduced fine (knocked down from stunt driving to simple speeding), felt ashamed and now uses the cruise control religiously.
"Stunt driving" for 132km/h?
03-29-2022, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #96199
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In Australia the enforcers, motivated by the profit motive, park camera speed trap cars on the road verge or parking spaces on city roads for an hour or so and then move to a new location. In many places they set the trap near the start of a lower limit, often downhill, so they catch people who are a bit late starting to slow down. Downhill is more profitable because it is easier to drift up in speed, even with cruise control, because cruise control only controls the throttle but not the brakes.

Since they never buy old bangers for the enforcers you will not be trapped by an old banger but if you see a late model car parked in an odd place on the side of the road you can be almost certain it is a speed camera car.
We have the same thing here, except the cameras are almost always in late model vans. If you see a late model van parked in an odd place on the side of the road, it's a camera van 99/100.

03-29-2022, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #96200
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Wonder if the '58 430 cube MEL that made 400 hp...was the one with three -2 barrel carbs ? Probably I'm guessing.
Sure was. 3 x 2 barrel holleys if I remember correctly.
03-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #96201
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about this for crazy auction price: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1998-subaru-impreza-sti-22b-1
03-29-2022, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #96202
Pentaxian

Nope and I can't imagine buying a 22 year old Ford Expedition, Chevy Suburban, etc...for that kind of money.
The story mentions that it has the 7.3 liter Turbo diesel and that particular engine did have a good reputation for reliability and durability.

It was actually an International engine., made by IH, for Ford. Kind of like Cummins makes the diesel that Ram...Dodge....for that pickup truck.

But $ 67, 000 USD is not too far from buying a brand spanking new, Suburban...very similar to the Expedition. You can get either a 5.3 gas V8, 6.2 liter gas V8 or turbo charged three liter, inline diesel six engine, different engines over the standard 5.3 are extra money. I saw a new Suburban in the dealer show room about 3 months ago...nicely loaded, with a 5.3 liter...4WD..for $ 77,000 CAD...after USD to CAD conversion rates....which is somewhere around what they're asking for the 22 year old Expedition. Just my opinion.

A former neighbour who was a Hydro lineman, had a Ford F 350 work truck...dually , 4WD cab and chassis with a utility box mounted on it...with the 7.3 liter diesel V8 TD engine...and a manual transmission...5 speed I think. He used it for 440,000 kms...without much trouble. He really liked it.

03-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #96203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sure was. 3 x 2 barrel holleys if I remember correctly.
If I recall from years ago, that engine in a large, heavy Mercury, it was good for 1/4 mile elapsed times of 14 something seconds...with a manual transmission. Very good for back then.
03-29-2022, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #96204
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First production car engine in the USA making 400 horses.
But, I must admit I know little about MEL engines. I've had some experience with FE engines but the thing I know more about than's good for me is the Y-block! LOL
03-29-2022, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #96205
Pentaxian

First production car engine in the USA making 400 horses.
But, I must admit I know little about MEL engines. I've had some experience with FE engines but the thing I know more about than's good for me is the Y-block! LOL
I'm not surprised you know a lot about the Y-block, given your like for '57 Fords.

Back then in '58....the Mercury-Lincoln (don't know if Edsel ever got this engine) 430 cubic inches in an American, non commercial, automotive production gas V8 was probably the biggest engine available, by a significant amount .

For the 1958 production year, the Cadillac V8 was 390 cubes, the biggest Chrysler (Mopar) was the 392, first generation Hemi, Oldsmobile was a 371 (394 in '59) , Buick was a 364 (401 in '59), Pontiac was a 370 (389 in '59)...so I think that the FoMoCo....in their Lincoln and Mercury lines had the largest displacement V8 of '58.

Now I'm going by memory from when I was a school boy, so I could be wrong as I'm well into geezerdom now.

I learned all this stuff, from reading Hot Rod magazines stuffed in the middle of my World Atlas...in detention...at the end of the school day, in the early '60's . Can I remember anything from grade 8 math, science, though ? Nope.
03-29-2022, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #96206
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not surprised you know a lot about the Y-block, given your like for '57 Fords.

Back then in '58....the Mercury-Lincoln (don't know if Edsel ever got this engine) 430 cubic inches in an American, non commercial, automotive production gas V8 was probably the biggest engine available, by a significant amount .

For the 1958 production year, the Cadillac V8 was 390 cubes, the biggest Chrysler (Mopar) was the 392, first generation Hemi, Oldsmobile was a 371 (394 in '59) , Buick was a 364 (401 in '59), Pontiac was a 370 (389 in '59)...so I think that the FoMoCo....in their Lincoln and Mercury lines had the largest displacement V8 of '58.

Now I'm going by memory from when I was a school boy, so I could be wrong as I'm well into geezerdom now.

I learned all this stuff, from reading Hot Rod magazines stuffed in the middle of my World Atlas...in detention...at the end of the school day, in the early '60's . Can I remember anything from grade 8 math, science, though ? Nope.
You have a very good memory!
MEL = Mercury Edsel Lincoln, so yes, must have been some Edsels that got the MEL engine. But, of course, Edsel was dead before you could say "funny front end".
03-29-2022, 11:25 PM - 2 Likes   #96207
Pentaxian

Read this about a African Flamingo that was a resident of the Wichita, Kansas Zoo about 17 years ago, and during a storm flew into the wild. Still alive, apparently doing well, is now 27 years old.

Flamingo that escaped from a Kansas zoo 17 years ago during a storm is found alive in Texas* | Daily Mail Online
03-29-2022, 11:32 PM   #96208
Pentaxian

You have a very good memory!
MEL = Mercury Edsel Lincoln, so yes, must have been some Edsels that got the MEL engine. But, of course, Edsel was dead before you could say "funny front end".

My wife says I have an exceptional memory, but only about the things I like, other than that , she further says....I don't seem to recall much of anything if it's not a subject of interest. Think that is called a selective memory.

Talking about the Edsel, back in high school auto shop class, a buddy asked me to drive his Edsel into the shop, so we could do an oil, filter and grease job on it.

I fired up the Edsel, but then couldn't find the shifter for the automatic transmission. Not on the steering column, nor the floor...nowhere to be found.

I went back in and asked him how do you shift the thing...where is the gear selector ?

He said ' pushbuttons in the centre of the steering wheel hub ' . Odd place for a shifter, but then that Edsel horse collar grille was odd too.
03-29-2022, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #96209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thanks #2.

I’ve been obsessed with the early Z since I bought the red Z in 1989.

That obsession was confirmed in 1992 when I bought the brown Z.

Of course the addition of 12 more Z cars over the next few years probably added to that obsession, even though most of those additional 12 cars were freebies obtained when people had cars that had been sitting and they needed to get rid of them.

Now I’m sitting on a small gold mine.
I'm amazed how much some vintage cars are worth, and even if they're not in pristine condition.

But then, I bought my '67 Matchless G 15 CS 750 Scrambler, and it's not exactly in show condition, by any stretch of the imagination.

I bought it, because I always wanted a big British twin, scrambler motorcycle. Couldn't afford one when they were new in the '60's.
03-30-2022, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #96210
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife says I have an exceptional memory, but only about the things I like, other than that , she further says....I don't seem to recall much of anything if it's not a subject of interest. Think that is called a selective memory.

Talking about the Edsel, back in high school auto shop class, a buddy asked me to drive his Edsel into the shop, so we could do an oil, filter and grease job on it.

I fired up the Edsel, but then couldn't find the shifter for the automatic transmission. Not on the steering column, nor the floor...nowhere to be found.

I went back in and asked him how do you shift the thing...where is the gear selector ?

He said ' pushbuttons in the centre of the steering wheel hub ' . Odd place for a shifter, but then that Edsel horse collar grille was odd too.
My wife mumbles the same thing. I can remember the differences between 1928 and 1931 Model A bumper bolts, but I'd be damned if I have to remember whether my wife wanted me to pick up eggs and milk from the shop or eggs and milk and bread.

One more thing about FE engines: FE engines are really Y-blocks in design. The "next model" Y-block if you want. I bought a '57 Ranchero once that had a '58 FE engine in it. I assumed it was a transplant and not a very late '57 with a very early '58 engine. But it was missing the build plate so no way to say for sure.

Those push button transmissions were rather cunning. Of course, Ford stole the idea from Chrysler. They had push button transmissions from '56, although in the dash, not on the steering wheel.