Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2022, 06:55 AM - 7 Likes   #96211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The family's 1962 Rambler Ambassador had push button on the dash.
Fun trying to get it unstuck, push D, then R, then D, then R.........
License plate M11623, can't remember my cell number though.

03-30-2022, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #96212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The family's 1962 Rambler Ambassador …
That doesn’t matter unless you really had an accident in which you were not to blame, or your parcel is held up pending payment, or your old school needs your support, or …
03-30-2022, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #96213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My wife mumbles the same thing. I can remember the differences between 1928 and 1931 Model A bumper bolts, but I'd be damned if I have to remember whether my wife wanted me to pick up eggs and milk from the shop or eggs and milk and bread.

One more thing about FE engines: FE engines are really Y-blocks in design. The "next model" Y-block if you want. I bought a '57 Ranchero once that had a '58 FE engine in it. I assumed it was a transplant and not a very late '57 with a very early '58 engine. But it was missing the build plate so no way to say for sure.

Those push button transmissions were rather cunning. Of course, Ford stole the idea from Chrysler. They had push button transmissions from '56, although in the dash, not on the steering wheel.
I did not know that the big block FE's are also Y block design. I can see the advantage as Y block design was to strengthen the block, if I'm correct.

My parents had two Y blocks....the '56 Fairlane with AT and the 312 cube- 4 barrel...rated at 225 HP. My dad liked the power of the engine, but the 4 barrel carb had difficulty in winter start up. There was some issue with the 4 barrels Ford was using for this 312 this year...I vaguely remember something about the design of the carb. Other than that the 312 was a good engine, plenty of punch and a nice exhaust note coming out of the duals.

The next Y block was the 292 and my parents got the 292, as it had a 2 barrel (205 hp or so)...they wanted to keep away from a 4 barrel after the 312...with a 3 speed manual in a '58 Ford station wagon. I really liked this car, thought the '58's were very nice looking, also liked the wagon...had a tail gate and an upper hatch. It moved out fine.
03-30-2022, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #96214
Pentaxian

The family's 1962 Rambler Ambassador had push button on the dash.
Fun trying to get it unstuck, push D, then R, then D, then R.........

My first car, bought in 1967, was a '61 VW Beetle. The license plate was CW 44.

Like you I can't remember my cell number. I keep the # tucked away in the darkest recesses of my wallet, then of course I can't remember which dark recess in my wallet I tucked it away in.

My wife's family had a '63 Rambler Classic. Lovely looking car, a 4 door with a inline six cylinder and a three speed manual, Second gear went out, so for years they would drive it, starting in first...then shifting directly to third gear, having to bypass the non existent 2nd gear.

Not the easiest on the engine this way, but the clutch, transmission and engine seemed to hold up ok. Those Rambler were pretty robust.

03-30-2022, 10:46 PM - 6 Likes   #96215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been away for a few more days.
What did I miss?

I see that robBob and lesBob have both been in jail for a time and can't remember their cell numbers.
I hope it was for nothing very serious.
Is it worse that being in the PF dungeon?
03-31-2022, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #96216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I see that robBob and lesBob have both been in jail for a time and can't remember their cell numbers.
I hope it was for nothing very serious.
Is it worse that being in the PF dungeon?
Rupert should be able to answer that for you.............oh, err, maybe not!
03-31-2022, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #96217
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The 240Z is a classic shape. Still looks modern and stylish, even after all these years.
Much like you yourself, I'm sure!

03-31-2022, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #96218
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hail, we rarely have in the spring. Mostly a mid summer event, and I'm always concerned about hail damage , when it's a nasty hail storm.
It's more common in summer, true, but it can happen any time of year. Just like sleet. Or snow. Or indeed rain.

Btw, this March has been the sunniest ever, with almost 220 hours. And nigh on the driest, with 3.5mm of rain/snow.
03-31-2022, 09:39 AM - 3 Likes   #96219
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

can't remember my cell number though.
I've never been in prison - just mentioning it in order not to make Rod worry too much - but I do remember my cell phone number. I need to enter it almost daily whenever I'm to pay for something online or log into my bank.

Come to think of it, I have spent a few nights in a cell. I even paid to stay there It was a prison converted into a hotel in Stockholm. The rooms were quite small, but also very quiet!

Right, here it is, Långholmen hotell.

03-31-2022, 10:35 AM   #96220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I've never been in prison - just mentioning it in order not to make Rod worry too much - but I do remember my cell phone number. I need to enter it almost daily whenever I'm to pay for something online or log into my bank.

Come to think of it, I have spent a few nights in a cell. I even paid to stay there It was a prison converted into a hotel in Stockholm. The rooms were quite small, but also very quiet!

Right, here it is, Långholmen hotell.

I've been in two cells, just as a temporary visitor though. I was in famous English highwayman, Dick Turpin's prison cell on a tour. Not because of unseemly behaviour on my part, but because my deep interest in history.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...Dkxt7_1wxoimQ2

Another was in a city cell, circa 1873...also during a tour of a police museum. They also had their first motorized paddy wagon, which was based on a 1920's REO Speedwagon truck.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...S3XdBcb8jbz34X

Last edited by lesmore49; 03-31-2022 at 09:49 PM.
03-31-2022, 10:39 AM   #96221
Pentaxian

Much like you yourself, I'm sure!
Quite right. I've always tried to keep myself in style.

My Grandfather from Edinburgh was haberdasher, specializing in upmarket suits, shirts, ties for the gentleman. And me, being a gentleman....well...
03-31-2022, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #96222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My wife mumbles the same thing. I can remember the differences between 1928 and 1931 Model A bumper bolts, but I'd be damned if I have to remember whether my wife wanted me to pick up eggs and milk from the shop or eggs and milk and bread.

One more thing about FE engines: FE engines are really Y-blocks in design. The "next model" Y-block if you want. I bought a '57 Ranchero once that had a '58 FE engine in it. I assumed it was a transplant and not a very late '57 with a very early '58 engine. But it was missing the build plate so no way to say for sure.

Those push button transmissions were rather cunning. Of course, Ford stole the idea from Chrysler. They had push button transmissions from '56, although in the dash, not on the steering wheel.
Actually The old Rambler (Later AMC) had push button transmissions in the mid 50's too. Rambler/AMC was a rather innovative company, but never caught on. They would innovate and then the "Big Three" would copy and kill them in the marketplace.
03-31-2022, 10:46 AM   #96223
Pentaxian

It's more common in summer, true, but it can happen any time of year. Just like sleet. Or snow. Or indeed rain.

Btw, this March has been the sunniest ever, with almost 220 hours. And nigh on the driest, with 3.5mm of rain/snow.

Our winter experienced the third heaviest snow fall...since 1873. In 1873 my Western Canadian burg was essentially a frontier town, somewhat wild and woolly , the largest business was a very large Hudson's Bay fur trading store . We also had quite a number of bars /saloons and from what I've read...some houses of ill repute.

My ancestors didn't hit Manitoba till 1878, and they were farmers....fortunately...far enough away to avoid the temptation of Winnipeg.
03-31-2022, 12:13 PM   #96224
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Quite right. I've always tried to keep myself in style.

My Grandfather from Edinburgh was haberdasher, specializing in upmarket suits, shirts, ties for the gentleman. And me, being a gentleman....well...
Did he do dresses for Bert?
03-31-2022, 12:15 PM   #96225
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Actually The old Rambler (Later AMC) had push button transmissions in the mid 50's too. Rambler/AMC was a rather innovative company, but never caught on. They would innovate and then the "Big Three" would copy and kill them in the marketplace.
That is a remarkably common story with really innovative technology.