Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2022, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #96391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Not anymore
Yes (I actually typed "Yeah" first, but thought better of it considering the subject matter!), the same could be said of Australia's education system also.

04-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #96392
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Vaguely, but that was long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Not during or since my first trip to America, 20 years ago.

I deduced from what I saw oN TV that Americans like watching people shout at each other and therefore behaviours like internet trolling are de rigeur.
04-11-2022, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #96393
Pentaxian

From what I see in reading various published writings; news, editorials, advertisements, etc., I'd say no. Not anymore and not for quite a few years.
Many problems such as :
“I write you” missing a preposition that distinguishes between writing to a person or writing the word you.
And
“Would of” when the correct conjugation is “would have”.

And I had the problem of primary school teaching of grammar with technical terms such as “two word verb” and then being told off for finding a “three word verb”. Why not use the proper terms ‘perfect tense’ for the tense that is so good you do not need any other, and “pluperfect tense” for the latter. It would have made it much easier to learn Latin and Greek instead of having to use them as methods to help learn English.
04-11-2022, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #96394
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My all-time favourite (read, most hated) word that is seemingly in common usage here, is "yous" as the plural of "you".
There are many others that irritate, but users of the word "yous" should be lined up and shot at dawn. Unfortunately, I fear it will be a long line.

04-11-2022, 09:29 PM - 2 Likes   #96395
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My all-time favourite (read, most hated) word that is seemingly in common usage here, is "yous" as the plural of "you".
There are many others that irritate, but users of the word "yous" should be lined up and shot at dawn. Unfortunately, I fear it will be a long line.
With your proposed line you will need to be careful to distinguish users of “yous”, “ewes” and “use”. The latter two are legitimate words. I agree the former is very bad form used by those seeking to demonstrate their lack of intellectual development, usually resulting from impoverishment of education.
04-11-2022, 10:02 PM - 3 Likes   #96396
Pentaxian

Indeed, the proper term is “youse”, not “yous”. Youse guys gotta get dese tings right!
04-11-2022, 10:28 PM - 3 Likes   #96397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can just see the headlines: ”Mass Murders in Glasgow - Thousands Dead.” “Lanarkshire Genocide Horror - Police Seek Grammar-Crazed Kiwi.” “First Minister Narrowly Escapes Assassination.” .

04-11-2022, 11:39 PM   #96398
Pentaxian

Surely "you was" is worse.

04-11-2022, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #96399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
They teach English in the US?
They may teach it, but that doesn’t mean it’s learned. The same might be said anywhere of arithmetic, never mind mathematics or physics etc. You can take a horse to water ….
04-12-2022, 01:15 AM - 3 Likes   #96400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

… but a pencil must be lead.

---------- Post added 04-12-22 at 01:17 AM ----------

Our daughter was 12 when we moved to the US for a year or so while I was on a project. During her first week in school, another girl asked her ‘what language do you speak in England? Is it Italian?’
04-12-2022, 03:18 AM - 4 Likes   #96401
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
04-12-2022, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #96402
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Surely "you was" is worse.
Don't call him Shirley.
04-12-2022, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #96403
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Indeed, the proper term is “youse”, not “yous”. Youse guys gotta get dese tings right!
Thanks Jim! I feel better already!
04-12-2022, 06:05 AM - 3 Likes   #96404
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

"yous" as the plural of "you".
Yet another example of international difference in the English language. Yous is common here in some of the Eastern regions; particularly in New Jersey but it can be singular or, if addressing only two or three people, plural. "all yous' or "all a yous" is plural form for addressing groups of more than 2 or 3. Much like the Southern y'all and all y'all.
We have no such spoken idiosyncrasies in dis part uf da country, dontchaknow.
04-12-2022, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #96405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A colleague from Texas once told me that ‘y’all’ was singular, and the plural was ‘all y’all’!