Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2022, 02:13 AM - 2 Likes   #96466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If not the largest, then the most interesting.

So, do share: What model Disco?
Aha, at first I thought he was a mobile DJ

04-21-2022, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #96467
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If not the largest, then the most interesting.

So, do share: What model Disco?
I own a 1997 300Tdi , it's been unregistered since 2010. sitting on my driveway. my retirement project plan to rebuild it.
04-21-2022, 03:47 AM - 2 Likes   #96468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I am betting huge on global warming. Temps have been below normal here for awhile, but yesterday I decided to wake up our camper/caravan from it's winter sleep. Flushed the antifreeze out of the plumbing, checked for any leaks and fired up a few systems to insure that they were working properly. Hopefully snow will finally be over when we take it out the first week in May. Over the next 10 days, we are expecting three days of above normal temps, 6 days below the norm and one bullseye temperature. The nights will all remain above freezing.

In honor of Bob, I cleaned our Weber Q1200 grill and cooked some pork chops for dinner yesterday. That is handy little thing to have around now that we are retired empty nesters.

Also got two Face Time calls from our 10 year old grandson. One from Sword and one from Omaha Beach at Normandy. He wanted to bring us there too.
04-21-2022, 04:30 AM - 3 Likes   #96469
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
This must be the largest thread on the internet. I just thought I would add one line to increase my post count as well.
You need not go away after making a post. Stay to enjoy.

04-21-2022, 04:33 AM - 3 Likes   #96470
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
I own a 1997 300Tdi , it's been unregistered since 2010. sitting on my driveway. my retirement project plan to rebuild it.
Nice. I sold my '93 3.9l V8i. Like yours, mine ended up sitting and the longer it sat, the more went wrong. So it is with cars. They need to be used regularly to keep the maintenance manageable.

Secondhand scrappy old Defenders are going for big bucks here.
04-21-2022, 06:00 AM - 6 Likes   #96471
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
In honor of Bob, I cleaned our Weber Q1200 grill and cooked some pork chops for dinner yesterday.
Would it be disrespectful if I boiled some ribs in his honor this weekend?

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
When they are covered in skins, I have no doubt that they are waterproof.
I would think so. I've never seen a cow or a deer swell up from water leaking in through the skin when it rains.
04-21-2022, 07:58 AM - 3 Likes   #96472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've often wondered how waterproof a yurt is.
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
That’s why they’re pitched in hotel grounds - so the glampers have somewhere to go when the rain starts.
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
When they are covered in skins, I have no doubt that they are waterproof.
The fashionable ones used in western countries, I think mostly covered in canvas, I guess it depends on the quality of the canvas and whether or not one touches the wet canvas.
Well, these are not the things of the Mongolian Steppes....totally water proof on the outside and quite luxurious on the inside...there is even AC.

Attached Images

04-21-2022, 08:03 AM - 5 Likes   #96473
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's a rough life but someone's got to live it, Right?
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well, Charlie, looks like you had the life of Riley down there.

Our son and his girlfriend love glamping in yurts. They have been in a few, one in the Duck Mountains, another by the Lake of the Woods, another in BC. They plan to go to another one , north of the 53rd parallel, this summer.
We mainly stayed at modest hotels but this was our penultimate night in CR so the wife decided to splurge. It was fantastic. And dinner in an individual "roomlette" suspended above the jungle.
Attached Images

04-21-2022, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #96474
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, I am betting huge on global warming. Temps have been below normal here for awhile, but yesterday I decided to wake up our camper/caravan from it's winter sleep. Flushed the antifreeze out of the plumbing, checked for any leaks and fired up a few systems to insure that they were working properly. Hopefully snow will finally be over when we take it out the first week in May. Over the next 10 days, we are expecting three days of above normal temps, 6 days below the norm and one bullseye temperature. The nights will all remain above freezing.

In honor of Bob, I cleaned our Weber Q1200 grill and cooked some pork chops for dinner yesterday. That is handy little thing to have around now that we are retired empty nesters.

Also got two Face Time calls from our 10 year old grandson. One from Sword and one from Omaha Beach at Normandy. He wanted to bring us there too.
Yep, soon I will be doing the same to ours and installing the solar retrofit.
04-21-2022, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #96475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He would be honoured, horrified, but honoured I am sure

I would think so. I've never seen a cow or a deer swell up from water leaking in through the skin when it rains.
See above
04-21-2022, 10:46 AM - 4 Likes   #96476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
He would be honoured, horrified, but honoured I am sure
Indeed! Perhaps even appalled, but he too would have expected nothing else from you. Go on, knock yourself out.
04-21-2022, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #96477
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Yep, soon I will be doing the same to ours and installing the solar retrofit.
Ours has a 190W solar panel on the roof but the charge controller can easily handle a second one. It also has something called "Solar on the Side" where I can connect a solar charge controller and panels and then supply energy directly to the batteries. At the moment I am using two 64Ah lead acid batteries. This allows you to place panels in the sun and chase it around during the day.

For fun I am building a home made "solar generator". It will probably be contained in one of those plastic milk crates. I am thinking of other options too like those plastic tool boxes with wheels and a handle to roll it around. It will center around a 50Ah LiFePO4 battery and a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter. It will be charged either by solar panels or a 10A lithium battery charger. All parts have been ordered to get it started.

I was inspired by watching Will Prowse build one on YouTube. This will be have several advantages over the all in one units. Components can be replaced if they fail of I want to upgrade any part of it. It is less expensive than that all in one units like Bluetti, Goal Zero, Jackery etc. I have a neat little project to do and I learn a bit along the way.

Additionally I can use the MPPT solar charge controller to feed into the batteries in our RV if needed. There will be plug and play options on the finished product to allow this. All I need to do is change the battery type on the controller. I already have three 100 watt solar panels I can connect to the controller. I also have a 90W folding solar array that can keep my 40L battery powered refrigerator/cooler running for quite awhile when off the grid. And another 120W folding solar array to keep out smaller solar generator charged up when we are off the grid.

I do want to add more solar capacity to the roof of the RV too. I am split between one more 190/200w panel or two 100 watt panels. The roof of our RV has a pretty big curve to it so the 100 watt panels can be placed at two different angles to catch the sun. It also keeps then away from things like the AC unit which can shade it. Not urgent and probably not a project for this year.
04-21-2022, 11:06 AM - 4 Likes   #96478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news, it seems that a few colleges in Texas have figured out a way to liven up the game of baseball. It seems that the batter made some comments to the pitcher after rounding second base. The one umpire starts pointing at the runner and you can see the runner's head turned towards the pitcher. Pitcher obviously took offense.

04-21-2022, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #96479
Pentaxian

I've often wondered how waterproof a yurt is.

Our son and his GF have glamped out in a number of Yurts over the years. No complaints about water leakage yet, but I would think it is dependent on Yurt build quality and maintenance.

Another type of camping they do is with a tent that sits on the pickup truck box.

He has a Nissan pickup truck with the off road Pro4X package, which includes 4WD, Dana 44 rear axle with a locker, HD Bilstein shocks. Low and high transfer case, all terrain tires, skid plates, etc.

They have found this camper quite good, for camping. A lot of times they are near places that afford areas for a bit of off roading.

https://napieroutdoors.com/can/product/backroadz-truck-tent-19-series/
04-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #96480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
That’s why they’re pitched in hotel grounds - so the glampers have somewhere to go when the rain starts.

Not out here in Western Canada. They're in provincial, national parks, private areas near lakes , rivers. There could be some on hotel grounds too, but most of the ones I'm aware of, are out in forested areas, near lakes and rivers.