Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
Language fascinates me.
Me too.

I can listen to it for hours

04-25-2022, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #96572
Pentaxian

Like those. Rotax engine, seem very stable for good handling for a 3 wheeler. Also built here, in Canada. Can Am apparently is going to be building motorcycles again, but this time, not ferocious 2 strokers, but electric motorcycles.
04-25-2022, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #96573
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Here’s another dodgy 3 wheeler, the Invacar:-

This made the Reliant Robin look desirable. One that used to bomb around our town had an glancing argument with a proper car at a junction and finished sliding along the road to a halt. On its side. They were known as Plastic Pigs.

I'm no engineer, but I do think a 3 wheeler with one wheel in the front, two in the back....when pushed hard in corners....well.

That company that built Invacars, also built Greeves motorcycles, They sand cast their own frames, usually used Villiers engines, had an Earles front suspension, and did quite well with off road motorcycles, especially in scrambling and trials. They had some street bikes too...with a 320cc 2 stroke, twin cylinder.

I've never seen an Invacar, except in photos, but did see a couple of Greeves motorcycles at the National Motorcycle Museum in the UK, many moons ago.
04-25-2022, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #96574
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
The two are related, though. Pasture comes from the Latin for feeding, as in what cattle do in the pasture. The verb for the act of cattle grazing has become a noun for the place where the grazing takes place. That's why here in the southern US you will hear people say "pasture field". It's a carryover that most would think is redundant. As for pastor as in a clergyman, that comes directly from the Latin word pastor which literally meant "one who feeds" and described the occupation we would call "shepherd". The connection is that in the the Latin translation of the Bible the word pastor describes the occupation of shepherd and describes a position in the church, likely because Jesus referred to Himself as the Good Shepherd. The namesake of pasteurization, Louis Pasteur, had the surname meaning pastor as in clergyman/shepherd.

And so Tim, you are exonerated. At least in my book... for whatever that's worth.

Language fascinates me.
Thanks.

04-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #96575
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
....and yet another reason for me not to get a twitter account
04-27-2022, 12:39 PM - 5 Likes   #96576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Meanwhile, here's a K3 that I would buy! The Keeble K3.

This was a prototype for a three-wheeled sports car (the only one of this design ever built), designed and constructed in the 1990s by local engineer Jim Keeble in Titchfield, Hampshire...
This rang a bell in the dustier corners of the old onion and I'm sure there is no actual connection other than they're both cars, but this rarity was owned and driven by a local man when I was growing up:–

(this isn't the actual one)

The Gordon Keeble GT: designed by Guigaro at Bertone. Chevrolet 5.4 litre V8 and disc brakes all round. Fibreglass body so it doesn't get acne. The owner was a local character, so the car was appropriate to the man.
04-27-2022, 01:27 PM - 3 Likes   #96577
Pentaxian

This rang a bell in the dustier corners of the old onion and I'm sure there is no actual connection other than they're both cars, but this rarity was owned and driven by a local man when I was growing up:–

The Gordon Keeble GT: designed by Guigaro at Bertone. Chevrolet 5.4 litre V8 and disc brakes all round. Fibreglass body so it doesn't get acne. The owner was a local character, so the car was appropriate to the man.
Now that is a beautiful car. Truly a Grand Touring car of that era...as per it's GT nomenclature.

Talking about "... ringing a bell in the dustier corners of the old onion ....." ....I recall this car written about in an old issue of Road & Track magazine....which I read voraciously in the mid to late '60's.

You mention the Chevy 5.4 liter V8, which was the 327 cubic inch engine that back then put out HP ranging from and including....250, 275, 295, 300, 340, 350, 360 and 375 (fuel injection).

In the higher HP versions it was a fine high performance engine...that powered full size Chevies, the Chevy ll, Malibus, Camaros and the Corvette.

I had a 327 cube V8, with a Muncie 4 speed manual transmission, in my '67 Camaro RS coupe....and that car was quite quick.

Reminds me of a neighbour, of a wealthy family friend (actually originally from Nottingham), back in the 1960's.

The guy had a Facel Vega, which he parked in an old stable house.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...ycIIG2uFnppHsi

04-27-2022, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #96578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great memory there, StiffLegged! Jim Keeble was a co-founder of Hampshire car firm Gordon Keeble.
04-27-2022, 05:39 PM - 3 Likes   #96579
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a rare car. 100 cars were made. 300hp 327cu.i Chev V8.
The one in your photo is car #14.
04-27-2022, 07:19 PM - 4 Likes   #96580
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
We should all behave like animals, eh?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
04-27-2022, 10:33 PM   #96581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The one in your photo is car #14.
You know this how?
Was #14 the only one painted blue?

Edit;
There are a couple for sale in UK.
(That is 2% of all the cars made!!)

https://www.classic-trader.com/au/cars/search/gordon-keeble

Last edited by rod_grant; 04-27-2022 at 10:40 PM.
04-27-2022, 10:44 PM   #96582
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The back end of it looks a lot like a model of Rover from the late 70s.
04-27-2022, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #96583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would that be the Rover P6 series Tim? The Gordon Keeble was built in the 60s so now you know where Leyland took their styling cues from!

Last edited by StiffLegged; 04-27-2022 at 11:39 PM.
04-28-2022, 03:05 AM   #96584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cor, I used to have a Rover P6 (2200cc) in white. Wikipedia has it that the styling was influenced by the Citroen DS, but the back end of the Gordon Keeble gives the game away!
04-28-2022, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #96585
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You know this how?
Was #14 the only one painted blue?

Edit;
There are a couple for sale in UK.
(That is 2% of all the cars made!!)

Gordon-Keeble Classic Cars for Sale - Classic Trader
The numberplate gave it away. There's a registry for these rare cars. I note too that there's one in New Zealand. Only one.