Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2022, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #96601
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On the news today we heard Boris Becker has just won a government sponsored holiday of up to 2.5 years. Something to do with his financial affairs related to declaration of bankruptcy.

Guess he will be back on the circuit to win a bunch of new prize money, to treat more wisely than the first time, starting in about 3 years. That would mean he would be number 1 user of the hotel gym.

04-29-2022, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #96602
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Free!

Paid for by the gubmint. (Read: Your tax dollars at work)

These things taste awful. Must be how it works, the taste chases the Covid away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-29-2022 at 02:40 PM.
04-29-2022, 02:41 PM   #96603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But Swindon is a well known place that even has a high ranking soccer business. Much less excuse for getting it wrong.
It might be interesting to compare soccer-hosting place names with other mangled names. Cholmondeley for one, also Beauchamp. Be glad your surname isn’t Featherstonehaugh! Which variety of satnav is it anyway that can’t pronounce Swindon???
04-29-2022, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #96604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Free!

These things taste awful. Must be how it works, the taste chases the Covid away.
I thought Covid played merry havoc with your sense of taste? Glad to see your gubmint is dishing out antivirals (that’s what they are, eh?) Hope you’re feeling better soon, the prospects are so much better than two years ago.

04-29-2022, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #96605
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I thought Covid played merry havoc with your sense of taste? Glad to see your gubmint is dishing out antivirals (that’s what they are, eh?) Hope you’re feeling better soon, the prospects are so much better than two years ago.
Well the other day everything smelled of ammonia. About a week ago I did lose my appetite.

Still, I had no fever, just a dry cough that flat wore me out. The coughing kept me awake all night, and several times I had coughing fits that lasted four hours or so. Cough drops lost their efficacy, then over the counter cough suppressant that worked at first eventually did nothing but dope me up.

The doctor gave me Prednisone and Benzonatate, so the coughing has subsided.

I'm not sure about the Paxlovid, but I'm trusting the doctors to do what is best.

It seems like the worst is past, I get to go back to work next Wednesday.
04-29-2022, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #96606
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
It's looking like a stunning weekend ahead....yay!
We have another Colorado Low coming in, this weekend. Third week in a row. This time...mostly rain, with a possibility of snow.
04-29-2022, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #96607
Pentaxian

Free!

A couple of days ago, a close colleague of our son, came down with Covid. So far, touch wood, he has been able to somehow avoid getting covid.

My wife and I both being retired, have for the most part not gone out a whole heck of a lot, mostly get curbside delivery, try to avoid crowded stores, other places...and have been lucky. Touch wood for us too.

Hope you recover fast Racer.

04-29-2022, 07:32 PM - 2 Likes   #96608
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A couple of days ago, a close colleague of our son, came down with Covid. So far, touch wood, he has been able to somehow avoid getting covid.

My wife and I both being retired, have for the most part not gone out a whole heck of a lot, mostly get curbside delivery, try to avoid crowded stores, other places...and have been lucky. Touch wood for us too.

Hope you recover fast Racer.
Thanks #2.

I've been working at The Big Shed coming and going everyday, 45,000 people (OK, they aren't all there at the same time, but the exposure rate is high, heck, I've been sent home three times for Covid contact tracing quarrantine).

People have caught it and died from exposure there.

So I guess I can consider myself fortunate that I made it this far.

I have had a chronic cough since late February. A week or two back I was severely fatigued, I thought from all the coughing. Then everything smelled of ammonia, but I never lost my sense of smell. My appetite was poor, even the act of eating, the feel of the food in my mouth was unappealing, although food and drink tasted as good as anyday (ice cold water is always a treat, but even more so to cool and soothe a raw throat).

Never had a fever, but the doctor freaked out because it was 99.1. Come on, 98.6 is normal, less than one degree is not a fever.

The worst is over, I think.

Funny thing, last week I gave myself one of those home test kits.

Negative.

I should run one this evening, eh?

Oh, and Paxlovid?

Three pills, 400mg total, twice a day, same time everyday, for five days.

When I took the first dose, I noted an odd but not necessarily offensive taste (nothing as bad as the Prednisone). About thirty minutes later a nasty taste formed at the back of my tongue, spreading forward. A sip of water washes it away but it comes back in a short time.

This is going to be a long five days.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-29-2022 at 07:40 PM.
04-29-2022, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #96609
Pentaxian

Free!

Tablets, you are meant to swallow them whole without waiting for the taste to become evident.

Anyway, enjoy the fact they were supplied by the lowest bidder.
04-29-2022, 10:22 PM   #96610
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We have another Colorado Low coming in, this weekend. Third week in a row. This time...mostly rain, with a possibility of snow.
We observed a long time ago that the weather tends to set up a one week long pattern which stays for about a month or a bit longer until a big weather change happens.
04-29-2022, 10:33 PM   #96611
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
It might be interesting to compare soccer-hosting place names with other mangled names. Cholmondeley for one, also Beauchamp. Be glad your surname isn’t Featherstonehaugh! Which variety of satnav is it anyway that can’t pronounce Swindon???
Garmin.

Otherwise quite good.

One thing I like is that the estimated arrival time algorithm seems conservative, to allow for the effect of uncertainty of traffic along the route. By a modest amount like 5 minutes over a 40 minute trip. Allows for things like get whole red light cycles and getting stuck behind a farmer. If none of those things happen expect arrival gets earlier the closer you get to destination. And that is driving at not more than the speed limit.

Much better than the one I used in Australia which guessed arrival time based on assuming doing speed limit all the way, so expected arrival gets later and later when there is no noticeable delay. That was the 3rd brand that seems to have disappeared now, not TomTom.
04-30-2022, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #96612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks #2.

I've been working at The Big Shed coming and going everyday, 45,000 people (OK, they aren't all there at the same time, but the exposure rate is high, heck, I've been sent home three times for Covid contact tracing quarrantine).

People have caught it and died from exposure there.

So I guess I can consider myself fortunate that I made it this far.

I have had a chronic cough since late February. A week or two back I was severely fatigued …
T’missus met a paramedic we used to know who told her he was the first healthcare worker to catch Covid in his area, two years ago, and thought he was dying for real but did recover and went back to work. His phone was constantly going off with colleagues asking for symptom info while dealing with other cases. They saw so many cases they got to recognise which cases were probably going to hospital to die and which were probably going to recover after hospitalisation. Grim job.

He said it’s completely different now with both the new variants (which are less lethal) and the new treatments such as those foul-tasting antivirals, so chin up old chap, it could be a lot worse!

Oh, and another friend went right off tea for a month, but is making real progress….!
04-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #96613
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Tablets, you are meant to swallow them whole without waiting for the taste to become evident.
The fraction of a second that a pill crosses the palette is enough to detect a taste. These pills have a distinct, and terrible taste. As I mentioned, as the medicine is getting absorbed, it is reflected in the taste buds. That is a clear indicator of the drug being thoroughly absorbed.

And a sure indicator that I haven't lost my sense of taste and smell.
04-30-2022, 08:53 AM - 3 Likes   #96614
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

@lesmore49 a bit of automotive art for your eyes.

All the way from France.

04-30-2022, 08:59 AM - 3 Likes   #96615
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The fraction of a second that a pill crosses the palette is enough to detect a taste. These pills have a distinct, and terrible taste. As I mentioned, as the medicine is getting absorbed, it is reflected in the taste buds. That is a clear indicator of the drug being thoroughly absorbed.

And a sure indicator that I haven't lost my sense of taste and smell.
Perhaps you should take Mary Poppins' advice.