Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2022, 10:10 PM - 3 Likes   #96676
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The bridge has been eating aircon units again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LK5RzZDJoQ
Hungry, and never sated.

05-05-2022, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #96677
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The bridge has been eating aircon units again.
The stupid part is that he knew he was over height or he wouldn't have slowed down like he did.
He's lucky it wasn't the bridge here. Ours has a clearance a full foot less than that one. He'd have had a lot more damage than the air conditioners and vents.
05-05-2022, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #96678
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The stupid part is that he knew he was over height or he wouldn't have slowed down like he did.
He's lucky it wasn't the bridge here. Ours has a clearance a full foot less than that one. He'd have had a lot more damage than the air conditioners and vents.
Yeah. Daft.
Then there's guys like this guy who tries to beat the lights and fails in both that and the overheight issue. LOL

05-05-2022, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #96679
Pentaxian

Yeah. Daft.
Then there's guys like this guy who tries to beat the lights and fails in both that and the overheight issue. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThGcKwwFlaQ
Some people have more money than sense.

Or is that some mothers do have them.

05-05-2022, 11:12 PM - 3 Likes   #96680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some mothers do ‘ave ‘em - two for the price of one …..

05-06-2022, 01:34 AM   #96681
Pentaxian

Many places here like that.
05-06-2022, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #96682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Hungry, and never sated.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yeah. Daft.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Some people have more money than sense.

Or is that some mothers do have them.
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Some mothers do ‘ave ‘em - two for the price of one …..
Stupid is as stupid does

05-06-2022, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #96683
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah. Daft.

The sound is impressive too
05-08-2022, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #96684
Pentaxian

Geez. Very quiet here.

Wonder how Racer is doing ?

Hope he is recovering from Covid.
05-08-2022, 10:00 PM - 2 Likes   #96685
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Racer is fine, at least where Covid is concerned.

In other regards, well, a bucket filled with bovine excrement can pretty much describe a number of other circumstances at the moment.

A few weeks ago the car I was using to get me around while the Legacy awaits the valve job that is sidelined while I look after mom, and try to complete my final year of work, well it laid down on me (the car). A 2010 Chevy Malibu, proof that American car manufacturers still haven’t figured out how to build a car to actually compete with foreign makes.

So, I’ve been driving the Ram, sometimes Mrs. Racer’s Corolla. I decided the quickest and cheapest option was to get Eddie going again.

Remember Eddie?

I had to park Eddie last year because the fuel tanks were rusted and leaking, and the front fuel pump was dead.

So I ordered up a side and rear tank pair, complete with fuel pumps installed. They were here in less than a week, and I expected to get them swapped over the coming weekend. Starting with the side one, which looked to be more difficult than the rear, I dove in.

By Sunday at dinner time I had the side one finished, and had discovered the rear tank was almost an inch too wide to fit between the frame rails.

During the coming week I went out to the shop after work and measured, and measured again. The frame rails are about 34” apart. The old tank is about 34.6” at the flanges. The new tank is about 35”. I drew lines on the flanges about 1/16” from the resistance weld that joins and seals the top and bottom tank halves. Then I used a zizz wheel in a die grinder to trim the flanges back.

That got me to 34.2”.

I also rounded the corners.

It went it, with only minor futzing about.

I get them in and hooked up, dump a few gallons of fuel in each tank, and it starts right up.

I switch tanks.

Perfect transfer, smooth, seamless.

OK.

By the way, I did all of this while sick with Covid.

I noticed when I started this project Eddie needed new shocks, so I had ordered a fresh set when I ordered the tanks.

Those go on next.

I also noticed when I moved Eddie into the shop the brakes were dragging. Looked like the master cylinder was sticking.

So I picked up a new one after work last Thursday. I changed it Friday evening, and had my niece help with bleeding the brakes Saturday morning.

As the bleeding progressed, I saw a tiny jet of something spray up from the crossmember near the steering box.

One of the hard lines for the front brakes has a pinhole in it.

So, this morning I ordered all new brake hard lines, all new brake hoses, new rear wheel cylinders, and loaded front calipers.

Eddie is probably gonna be tying up my shop for another week or two.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
05-08-2022, 10:24 PM - 3 Likes   #96686
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh the joys of cars, Racer! At least it's a Ford!

I spent all of yesterday rolling my son's cars fenders so as to create a little more space for the new wheels that got fitted today. I'm happy to report it all went well and new wheels and tires fit well.

225's that were on the front now surplus to requirements, 245's from the rear now on the front and 275's fitted to the rear rims. No photos yet, sorry!
05-08-2022, 10:58 PM - 2 Likes   #96687
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Racer is fine, at least where Covid is concerned.

In other regards, well, a bucket filled with bovine excrement can pretty much describe a number of other circumstances at the moment.

A few weeks ago the car I was using to get me around while the Legacy awaits the valve job that is sidelined while I look after mom, and try to complete my final year of work, well it laid down on me (the car). A 2010 Chevy Malibu, proof that American car manufacturers still haven’t figured out how to build a car to actually compete with foreign makes.

So, I’ve been driving the Ram, sometimes Mrs. Racer’s Corolla. I decided the quickest and cheapest option was to get Eddie going again.

Remember Eddie?

I had to park Eddie last year because the fuel tanks were rusted and leaking, and the front fuel pump was dead.

So I ordered up a side and rear tank pair, complete with fuel pumps installed. They were here in less than a week, and I expected to get them swapped over the coming weekend. Starting with the side one, which looked to be more difficult than the rear, I dove in.

By Sunday at dinner time I had the side one finished, and had discovered the rear tank was almost an inch too wide to fit between the frame rails.

During the coming week I went out to the shop after work and measured, and measured again. The frame rails are about 34” apart. The old tank is about 34.6” at the flanges. The new tank is about 35”. I drew lines on the flanges about 1/16” from the resistance weld that joins and seals the top and bottom tank halves. Then I used a zizz wheel in a die grinder to trim the flanges back.

That got me to 34.2”.

I also rounded the corners.

It went it, with only minor futzing about.

I get them in and hooked up, dump a few gallons of fuel in each tank, and it starts right up.

I switch tanks.

Perfect transfer, smooth, seamless.

OK.

By the way, I did all of this while sick with Covid.

I noticed when I started this project Eddie needed new shocks, so I had ordered a fresh set when I ordered the tanks.

Those go on next.

I also noticed when I moved Eddie into the shop the brakes were dragging. Looked like the master cylinder was sticking.

So I picked up a new one after work last Thursday. I changed it Friday evening, and had my niece help with bleeding the brakes Saturday morning.

As the bleeding progressed, I saw a tiny jet of something spray up from the crossmember near the steering box.

One of the hard lines for the front brakes has a pinhole in it.

So, this morning I ordered all new brake hard lines, all new brake hoses, new rear wheel cylinders, and loaded front calipers.

Eddie is probably gonna be tying up my shop for another week or two.
Glad you're well.

A lot of work, but Eddie (Bauer ?) sounds like he will be steady eddy...once you're through with him.

My uncle and dad had a business back in the '60's. They needed a truck, tough, good payload and able to tow a variety of trailers. They bought an M 250, which in this case was a '68 Canadian market only, Mercury 3/4 ton pickup. It was yellow, had a 3 on the tree and the Ford 300 cubic inch, inline six cylinder.

It was a good truck, and I've thought over the years it might of been one of the last Mercury trucks off the assembly line. The assembly line for Mercury trucks shut down for good, around March of 1968. They bought this truck, new....either March or April, 1968.

I drove it a bit, that 4.9 liter six has pretty good low end and mid range torque.

A couple of miles from my abode is a fenced off , closed down garden centre, just off the Trans Canada highway. Within the chain link fence is a '54 Mercury M 700 'Big Job' cab and chassis. It has been sitting there for a decade or two, next to a '70's Ford F 600...both of which have boxes mounted on their chassis'.

The old Merc has a steel girder mounted where the front bumper used to reside. Years ago I spoke to the old owner of the shuttered business. He said he lost the original bumper in a fender bender, about 1964.
05-08-2022, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #96688
Pentaxian

Oh the joys of cars, Racer! At least it's a Ford!

I spent all of yesterday rolling my son's cars fenders so as to create a little more space for the new wheels that got fitted today. I'm happy to report it all went well and new wheels and tires fit well.

225's that were on the front now surplus to requirements, 245's from the rear now on the front and 275's fitted to the rear rims. No photos yet, sorry!
Your son has a 350Z...right ? I bet that sports job will really grip the road with those tires.

Another option for modifying a Nissan 350Z....was featured in a Top Gear USA show. In the show, they had modified a 350Z , into a sort of an overlander.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...eWKyI22wz2AXDg

I'm not sure of this mod is something that would appeal to your son.
05-09-2022, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #96689
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure is Les. I don't think the off-road mod will work that well for us!

Here's what it looks like now. Why anyone would want white wheels is beyond me, but I'm not the one who has to keep them clean!

Should (just!) pass legal requirements for wheels not sticking out from guards / fenders.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
05-09-2022, 03:13 AM   #96690
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I might add that he's just seen the photos and very happy! I'll be delivering his car to him in about a week and a half. They're not allowed to have their cars on base during basics.
Tires had to come from Australia and I was a bit worried they'd not get here in time. But, all good.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-09-2022 at 03:20 AM.