Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2022, 02:27 PM   #96721
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Well each driver has his own mechanics and they set up each car for the individual drivers tastes. While Eddy was off gallivanting, Michael would be working long hours with the crew to get his car just right....sooooo...
You're right Charlie.

Some racers know exactly what works for them, some would rather go out and have fun, some think they know what settings are right, but don't...but I would say for the most part, those who understand the dynamics of a race car, understand what works for them and our willing to put in the time with the mechanics to get that setting are likely to have a better chance of success.

05-10-2022, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #96722
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Gold or bronze look awesome on blue cars.

The lugs are probably spline drive. That pile of Chevy I was driving has aftermarket wheels with spline drive nuts. I had to buy a socket so I could rotate the tires and inspect the brakes and wheel ends when I did a service on it a couple months ago.

I actually picked up a set for Eddie the other day. The OEM Ford out nuts were shot (stupid design, with a chrome or stainless steel shell over the nut, all beat up and deformed from indescriminate impact gun usage), and the spline drive give a bit more room for the socket (the lugs sit in a recessed hole in the wheel).
I've had lots of vehicles in my driving lifetime, but I've never such a serious sportscar. I bet every drive is an adventure, especially on a lonely, paved, twisty back road. I know with these Z cars, it is not just about superlative handling and braking...but also about explosive acceleration.

When I was your son's age, I had a '67 Camaro RS coupe, with a 5.3 liter (327 cube) V8, 4 speed Muncie. I had a lot of fun with that car, the bellow that was music to my ears, the acceleration, the control with a manual transmission, handling for it's time.

It was not my father's Oldsmobile. If you know what I mean.
05-10-2022, 06:32 PM - 3 Likes   #96723
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thank you Charlie. The Duke..is much better then the Dinosaur.
And certainly better than "or worse"!
05-10-2022, 10:13 PM - 3 Likes   #96724
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And certainly better than "or worse"!
:lol Agreed !

As per Monty Python's Eric idle song....'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'...is my view.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact...ViuzJ_2fyoD-hC

05-10-2022, 10:18 PM - 4 Likes   #96725
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

:lol Agreed !

As per Monty Python's Eric idle song....'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'...is my view.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=&cad=rja&uact...ViuzJ_2fyoD-hC
Very true Les. Whenever my 88 year old mother complains about something (as she's all too fond of doing) I always remind her: "It's better than being dead."
05-11-2022, 12:12 PM - 4 Likes   #96726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very true Les. Whenever my 88 year old mother complains about something (as she's all too fond of doing) I always remind her: "It's better than being dead."
There ya go!
Attached Images

05-11-2022, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #96727
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amen to that Charlie! Amen!

05-11-2022, 03:50 PM - 4 Likes   #96728
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm reminded of the story of a guy who stopped at his favorite bar every night on his way home. He had the same thing every day; two scotch and water. One night, after a particularly tough day he decided to have a third scotch and water. On his way home he drove off of the road into the river and drowned.
He drowned in the water. It was the water that killed him, not the scotch.
05-11-2022, 06:42 PM - 3 Likes   #96729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Michael broke his leg or something and was off a number of races. Eddie, the Ferrari second driver....became the lead Ferrari driver, while Michael recuperated.
Did Michael get Tonya Harding-ed?
05-12-2022, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #96730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did like a lot of NASCAR racers back then, colourful men, some with interesting names, like Fireball Roberts, 'King' Richard Petty.
Yeah anymore the only thing "colorful" about NASCAR drivers is the ads on their fire suits. Some of the kids driving in NASCAR now wouldn't even recognize those guys. I live 2 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway, and have been to dozens of races there. You'd think I worked for Home Depot if you looked in my closet! I loved to watch because the drivers were distinct, they had personality. Things just seemed to get cookie cutter and corporate in recent years. I think the last time I watched a race even on TV was 2019.
05-12-2022, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #96731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm reminded of the story of a guy who stopped at his favorite bar every night on his way home. He had the same thing every day; two scotch and water. One night, after a particularly tough day he decided to have a third scotch and water. On his way home he drove off of the road into the river and drowned.
He drowned in the water. It was the water that killed him, not the scotch.
That sounds like a fishy insurance claim. As in , no I didn't crash into a tree....the tree jumped in front of my car....as I rounded the corner.
05-12-2022, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #96732
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
Yeah anymore the only thing "colorful" about NASCAR drivers is the ads on their fire suits. Some of the kids driving in NASCAR now wouldn't even recognize those guys. I live 2 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway, and have been to dozens of races there. You'd think I worked for Home Depot if you looked in my closet! I loved to watch because the drivers were distinct, they had personality. Things just seemed to get cookie cutter and corporate in recent years. I think the last time I watched a race even on TV was 2019.
Yep. I get a kick out of modern professional winner drivers in victory lane, as they thank their various sponsors ...all the while changing into their different sponsor's ball caps...that someone is feeding the different sponsors hats to them..... at the side.

I have yet to see the modern race winner...make a mistake and inadvertently get the cap coordination mixed up....for instance, thanking coke, rather than Home Depot...while they have the 'right' sponsor ball cap on.

Aside from their abundant racing skills, the modern driver is also pretty good at handling Sponsor PR.

But, someone has to pay the bills...and big bills they are.
05-12-2022, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #96733
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Darrel Waltrip owns Bristol.

12 wins, more than any driver.

Boogity! Boogity! Boogity!

QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
I live 2 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway, and have been to dozens of races there.
I’m envious.
05-12-2022, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #96734
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Building another tanker for my Uncle today.

05-12-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #96735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sounds like a fishy insurance claim. As in , no I didn't crash into a tree....the tree jumped in front of my car....as I rounded the corner.
Is this any more convincing?
“I had been shopping for plants all day and was on my way home. As I reached an intersection a hedge sprang up obscuring my vision and I did not see the other car.”

or this old favourite:–
I saw a slow moving, sad faced old gentleman as he bounced off the roof of my car.”