Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #96736
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Building another tanker for my Uncle today.
Nice one. So, question: How much of the body do they fill with fuel tanks in the tankers? Is it mainly the underfloor storage area, or the regular "passenger part" too?

05-12-2022, 06:07 PM - 4 Likes   #96737
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice one. So, question: How much of the body do they fill with fuel tanks in the tankers? Is it mainly the underfloor storage area, or the regular "passenger part" too?
The KC46 is a multirole aircraft. The primary use is refueling other aircraft. Based on the 767F (F for freighter) airframe, the A (where passengers would ride if it was a passenger airplane) and B (the cargo hold in a passenger airplane) decks are configured to receive standard cargo containers. For fueling operations fuel cells that conform to the standard cargo container specifications are used. They also can be fitted with drogues on the wings, to fuel up to three airplanes at a time. Also, fuel from the tanker's wing tanks can be pumped to the aerial refueling points.

These airplanes can also receive fuel. Just above, and behind the cockpit is the receiver.

As mentioned, the KC46 is a multirole aircraft. It can carry ordinary freight to support deployment of troops, the A deck can be configured to carry passengers for troop deployment support, or as a flying ambulance to evacuate injured troops.

The 767 passenger airplane has been out of production for ten or twelve years now, so all we build is freighters and tankers.

The 747 production is winding down. Every day I can see the last three coming together across the center aisle of the factory. In another area the wing spar shop is being dismantled, after producing 747 wing spars since 1968.

The panel buildup area and the wing majors tools will be gone soon, as the last pair of wings is nearly finished. The wing majors tool was able to have four pairs wings being assembled simultaneously. A bit larger than an American football field, four stories tall, the wing majors tool is an impressive sight.

Gonna be a somber day when the last one rolls out the door.

Fifty four years of The Queen Of The Skies.
05-12-2022, 10:26 PM - 2 Likes   #96738
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A friend of mine was at Blagnac for the last ever landing of a Concorde. He said it was sad.

Much the same I guess.

I remember the excitement of the 747 development.
05-13-2022, 05:00 PM - 3 Likes   #96739
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought this floor jack, 35 years ag, I think. It has jacked up a lot of vehicles, some hundreds of times. When I was racing it went to the tracks, in three states, hundreds of miles of traveling in the race trailer.

It was a couple hundred bucks new.

Recently I put Eddie in the shop to do some deferred maintenance, and the jack struggled to get Eddie on stands for the work.

So I decided to rebuild it.

The rebuild kit cost $35 delivered. Nearly a quarter of what I paid for the jack.

That tiny package near the jack is the kit.

Doesn’t look like $35.

But hey, if I get another 35 years out of it, I win, eh?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-13-2022 at 05:06 PM.
05-13-2022, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #96740
Pentaxian

I bought this floor jack, 35 years ag, I think. It has jacked up a lot of vehicles, some hundreds of times. When I was racing it went to the tracks, in three states, hundreds of miles of traveling in the race trailer.

It was a couple hundred bucks new.

Recently I put Eddie in the shop to do some deferred maintenance, and the jack struggled to get Eddie on stands for the work.

So I decided to rebuild it.

The rebuild kit cost $35 delivered. Nearly a quarter of what I paid for the jack.

That tiny package near the jack is the kit.

Doesn’t look like $35.

But hey, if I get another 35 years out of it, I win, eh?
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get another 35 years of use out of...but...lessee...Racer's age + 35 years....hmmmnn.

Always have had a respect for Snap-On tools. Never had one, although for awhile about a decade or so ago, I thought about getting a Snap-On socket wrench...to use with my non Snap-On sockets...just to have something made by Snap-On.

As it happened, I never did.

I'm getting to that point where I'm not buying a lot of new, anything .

Age, the artificial shoulder and the fact that I don't use my tools, etc. as much as I used to....and also I have more than enough tools, wood working, mechanics tools, etc.

However over the decades, one thing I learned after initially just buying the cheapest stuff I could find, is that it is false economy.

I got tired of rounding off bolts, breaking tools, burning 'consumer' level portable power equipment , etc. So I started to buy the best I could afford and it's worked out. Excellent tolerances...no more rounding off, slippage, durability, no more burn outs (not tires, tools ), etc.
05-13-2022, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #96741
Pentaxian

The 747 production is winding down. Every day I can see the last three coming together across the center aisle of the factory. In another area the wing spar shop is being dismantled, after producing 747 wing spars since 1968.

The panel buildup area and the wing majors tools will be gone soon, as the last pair of wings is nearly finished. The wing majors tool was able to have four pairs wings being assembled simultaneously. A bit larger than an American football field, four stories tall, the wing majors tool is an impressive sight.

Boy that much time has passed.

I still remember being at a press conference, back in '69 or '70, when Boeing announced a new plant being built in my burg, to do some sub assembly work on, if I recall correctly, 747 parts.
05-13-2022, 08:55 PM   #96742
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Is this any more convincing?
“I had been shopping for plants all day and was on my way home. As I reached an intersection a hedge sprang up obscuring my vision and I did not see the other car.”

or this old favourite:–
I saw a slow moving, sad faced old gentleman as he bounced off the roof of my car.”
You sound like you may be an insurance man.

Our auto insurance out here, is provincially run. They have got some strange, sometimes funny stories about accident causes....and sometimes stories that are fraudulent with intent to bilk .

The public insurer, have an investigative department , mostly composed of recently retired city police detectives and retired Royal Canadian Mounted Police, detectives .

From my understanding these retired police detectives are quite effective...in getting their man.

05-13-2022, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #96743
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Boy that much time has passed.

I still remember being at a press conference, back in '69 or '70, when Boeing announced a new plant being built in my burg, to do some sub assembly work on, if I recall correctly, 747 parts.
I have been to that manufacturing plant. December 2009.

Delivered empty tooling for shipping 747 engine pylon fairings, which were made there. They make lots of stuff there.
05-14-2022, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #96744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Been to Gettysburg for a few days to meet up with an old friend and his wife, bring each other up date with families etc. I also happen to give a really killer battlefield tour so I did that for them too.

If you ever visit the battlefield and are standing on top of Little Round Top, make sure you rub this mans nose so you can draw on his courage. As you can see, thousands and thousands of people have. The man is Col. Patrick "Paddy" O'Rourke. Originally born in Ireland in 1837, his family immigrated to Rochester, NY in 1842 to escape the famine in Ireland. He graduated from West Point Military Academy in June 1861. In September 1862 he was appointed Colonel of the 140th NY Volunteer Infantry which was made up of men mostly from Rochester, NY. On July 2, 1863 he was killed at the top of Little Round Top while leading his men in a charge to drive back Confederate soldiers who had pushed almost to the top of the hill.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
05-15-2022, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #96745
Pentaxian

Delivered empty tooling for shipping 747 engine pylon fairings, which were made there. They make lots of stuff there.
I've never been in the actual Boeing plant in the Peg. The press conference was held at a downtown hotel. I recall it was scheduled for around 2:30 PM, but actually got started around 2:45 PM. Presentation, press PR material was handed out. Etc.

Then the presentation, which included words from Boeing officials, grateful city and provincial politicians thanking Boeing for locating here ...a good thing, as plant/ company has paid many taxes , salaries and made significant contributions to local charities, projects over the years.

Boeing has been a good corporate citizen.
05-15-2022, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #96746
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Been to Gettysburg for a few days to meet up with an old friend and his wife, bring each other up date with families etc. I also happen to give a really killer battlefield tour so I did that for them too.

If you ever visit the battlefield and are standing on top of Little Round Top, make sure you rub this mans nose so you can draw on his courage. As you can see, thousands and thousands of people have. The man is Col. Patrick "Paddy" O'Rourke. Originally born in Ireland in 1837, his family immigrated to Rochester, NY in 1842 to escape the famine in Ireland. He graduated from West Point Military Academy in June 1861. In September 1862 he was appointed Colonel of the 140th NY Volunteer Infantry which was made up of men mostly from Rochester, NY. On July 2, 1863 he was killed at the top of Little Round Top while leading his men in a charge to drive back Confederate soldiers who had pushed almost to the top of the hill.
Very interesting history. I have only been to two battlefields that I recall. The Battle of Little Big Horn....General Custer, and the Battle of Hastings...William the Conqueror (I suppose) and both sites were to me, fascinating. I'm not a superstitious person by any means, but I wonder what it would be like to camp...alone...at either site...overnight.

Talking about rubbing the statue of Col, O'Rourke's nose....triggers a memory about a statue of famous Canadian entrepreneur, Sir Timothy Eaton, whose statue graced the first floor of the T. Eaton company's flagship store in western Canada...which used to be located in my burg, before the building was demolished.

For decades, locals would meet at this landmark statue of Sir Timothy, and more often then not, give his brass shoe a rub for luck. The shoe, much like the Colonel's....developed a very shiny spot where the original surface had been rubbed off.
05-16-2022, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #96747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Boeing used to have a plant in Arnprior, Ontario, just around the corner from where I lived for many years. They decided to close it down many years ago so I believe the employees bought it and continued to do what they do best; make airplane parts.

Arnprior Aerospace Inc. - Delivering Customer Solutions with Excellence
05-16-2022, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #96748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Darrel Waltrip owns Bristol.

12 wins, more than any driver.

Boogity! Boogity! Boogity!
My favorite driver of all time. Colorful, class act, swell guy.
05-16-2022, 05:42 PM - 2 Likes   #96749
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KC46 is a multirole aircraft. The primary use is refueling other aircraft. Based on the 767F (F for freighter) airframe, the A (where passengers would ride if it was a passenger airplane) and B (the cargo hold in a passenger airplane) decks are configured to receive standard cargo containers. For fueling operations fuel cells that conform to the standard cargo container specifications are used. They also can be fitted with drogues on the wings, to fuel up to three airplanes at a time. Also, fuel from the tanker's wing tanks can be pumped to the aerial refueling points.

These airplanes can also receive fuel. Just above, and behind the cockpit is the receiver.

As mentioned, the KC46 is a multirole aircraft. It can carry ordinary freight to support deployment of troops, the A deck can be configured to carry passengers for troop deployment support, or as a flying ambulance to evacuate injured troops.

The 767 passenger airplane has been out of production for ten or twelve years now, so all we build is freighters and tankers.

It's gonna be a sad day for sure. Nothing quite compares with a 747.
Which reminds me: I'd like to find a 747 galley cart. If you spot one lying around, for less than a king's ransom, let me know.
05-17-2022, 01:59 AM   #96750
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

It's gonna be a sad day for sure. Nothing quite compares with a 747.
Just yesterday I had to go from tool room to tool room looking for a hand held jig for drilling nut plate holes. My search took me through several tool rooms in the 747 section of the factory. Walking through the various stages of assembly of the last three 747s being built was both awesome and sad.

Which reminds me: I'd like to find a 747 galley cart. If you spot one lying around, for less than a king's ransom, let me know.
The desert near Victorville, California is one place were airplanes are sent to be dismantled. There are hundreds of airplanes there, including dozens of retired 747s.

There should be some there.