Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2022, 05:02 AM   #96826
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How do you know it is pretty much unchanged? Empirical or did you take someone’s word for it.

Farina, written on you flour packet was the name of a settlement between Leigh Creek and Marree wher old diggers were encouraged to grow Wheaton a soldier settlement scheme, way north of Goyders Line. The droughts came and by 1930 they were all broke. The land now has saltbush, like before, and remnants of fences.

05-23-2022, 05:05 AM   #96827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Grapes and figs go well with cheese so why not honey.
And if other people like it it worth finding out what it is like.
05-23-2022, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #96828
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Scots bees are a tougher lot.
This brings to mind a question I've had, well, forever. I have always assumed the people of Scotland are Scots; but what about things? Scotch vs Scot vs Scottish. e.g. is haggis a Scottish dish, a Scot dish, or a Scotch dish? Is something a Scotch tradition, or Scot, or Scottish?
05-23-2022, 01:58 PM - 5 Likes   #96829
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This brings to mind a question I've had, well, forever. I have always assumed the people of Scotland are Scots; but what about things? Scotch vs Scot vs Scottish. e.g. is haggis a Scottish dish, a Scot dish, or a Scotch dish? Is something a Scotch tradition, or Scot, or Scottish?
The answer to all these is perfectly obvious! Lagavullin is Scotch, porridge is Scottish and we, the people, are Scots. A Scotch dish has whisky in it, a Scot dish was found occasionally among people of the South Seas (who reckoned them too tough and stringy to be enjoyable) and haggis is the definitive Scottish traditional dish (although deep-fried Mars Bars are occasionally mentioned in theoretical publications)

Simples!

05-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #96830
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Grapes and figs go well with cheese so why not honey.
Indeed. I'm rather fond of grape jam with cheese too. Or fig jam and cheese. Yum!
05-23-2022, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #96831
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
How do you know it is pretty much unchanged? Empirical or did you take someone’s word for it.
Well, truth be told, I've read that on the internet. I'm not a scatologist.

Farina, written on you flour packet was the name of a settlement between Leigh Creek and Marree wher old diggers were encouraged to grow Wheaton a soldier settlement scheme, way north of Goyders Line. The droughts came and by 1930 they were all broke. The land now has saltbush, like before, and remnants of fences.
Farina, on the Caputo bag, is simply Italian for "flour". I wonder if the settlement you're talking about was named after flour? Interesting.
05-23-2022, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #96832
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Indeed. I'm rather fond of grape jam with cheese too. Or fig jam and cheese. Yum!
Fig and cheese is a commonly recognised combination.

05-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #96833
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
The answer to all these is perfectly obvious! Lagavullin is Scotch, porridge is Scottish and we, the people, are Scots. A Scotch dish has whisky in it, a Scot dish was found occasionally among people of the South Seas (who reckoned them too tough and stringy to be enjoyable) and haggis is the definitive Scottish traditional dish (although deep-fried Mars Bars are occasionally mentioned in theoretical publications)

Simples!
The Scot dish sounds like the report of one such event where it was said that they ate all of him but his boots were a bit tough.
05-23-2022, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #96834
Pentaxian

Well, truth be told, I've read that on the internet. I'm not a scatologist.

Farina, on the Caputo bag, is simply Italian for "flour". I wonder if the settlement you're talking about was named after flour? Interesting.
Probably because it was in an area opened up for growing wheat and was along the rail line.
05-24-2022, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #96835
Veteran Member

I like eating a well made Christmas fruit cake (i.e. moist, rich and full of booze like my mum used to make not a sawdust brick that is drier than the Sahara!) with a mature cheddar. Take a slice of each and then a bite of each and masticate together and enjoy the glorious taste explosion in your mouth! Wash it all down with a spirit beverage of choice. Mine would be a fine brandy/cognac or a good, non-blended or spiced, dark rum as I can't stand the taste of that Scottish peat bog juice!
05-24-2022, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #96836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I like eating a well made Christmas fruit cake (i.e. moist, rich and full of booze like my mum used to make not a sawdust brick that is drier than the Sahara!) with a mature cheddar. Take a slice of each and then a bite of each and masticate together and enjoy the glorious taste explosion in your mouth! Wash it all down with a spirit beverage of choice.
‘Appen tha’s from Yorkshire?

…Mine would be a fine brandy/cognac or a good, non-blended or spiced, dark rum as I can't stand the taste of that Scottish peat bog juice!
Neither can I. I’m told it’s an acquired taste but I never thought it worth acquiring.
05-24-2022, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #96837
Pentaxian

I like scotch. Most of the single malts I have had are attractive, very refined flavours, the blends at the lower end of the market are a lottery, with most providing the satisfaction provided by most lottery tickets.
05-24-2022, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #96838
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like eating a well made Christmas fruit cake (i.e. moist, rich and full of booze like my mum used to make not a sawdust brick that is drier than the Sahara!) with a mature cheddar. Take a slice of each and then a bite of each and masticate together and enjoy the glorious taste explosion in your mouth! Wash it all down with a spirit beverage of choice. Mine would be a fine brandy/cognac or a good, non-blended or spiced, dark rum as I can't stand the taste of that Scottish peat bog juice!
That sounds yum!

I might add that, as a Saffa, I eat hot cross buns with cheese. Kiwis find that incredibly strange. They usually eat hot cross buns with either just butter, or with cream. Which, of course, is stranger than strange.

I'm rather fond of single malt peat bog juice!
05-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #96839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

providing the satisfaction provided by most lottery tickets.
The funny thing is that a LOT of people keep buying them. Strange!
05-24-2022, 10:16 PM   #96840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
The funny thing is that a LOT of people keep buying them. Strange!
Nothing can explain the bizarre aspects of the human mind.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »