Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2022, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #96916
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I know! Those are great! I'd prefer if those porch pirate packages of his were incendiary devices. Maybe it's time to devise a bait package that contains rotten eggs or something even more noxious.
They did contain a can of some stinky spray. But it would be much better if there was something akin to the spray from a skunk, with the same degree of lasting stinkiness, and just as difficult to wash away.

06-02-2022, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #96917
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll just leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvS9lvRxZ8&t=27s

What's happened to everyone?
Wiring up my trailer for solar....almost done!
Attached Images

06-02-2022, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #96918
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's happened to everyone?
Can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in Blighty we're marking HM the Queen's official birthday and Platinum Jubilee – 70 years on the throne. I've just been watching the flypast in London on TV, being a bit keen on aircraft, and her majesty's delight at the Red Arrows especially was obvious. We've a small shindig on Saturday to mark the occasion and the weather forecast is awfu' guid, so we hope to hold this in the garden.

I also have tomorrow off...
06-02-2022, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #96919
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in Blighty we're marking HM the Queen's official birthday and Platinum Jubilee – 70 years on the throne. I've just been watching the flypast in London on TV, being a bit keen on aircraft, and her majesty's delight at the Red Arrows especially was obvious. We've a small shindig on Saturday to mark the occasion and the weather forecast is awfu' guid, so we hope to hold this in the garden.

And the the weekend.

Nice weather here.

Did something inside in the morning then rode the bike all around Oxford on the bike track beside the ring road.

06-02-2022, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #96920
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote

True that.
82 gun salute and all.

(Not my image)

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-02-2022 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo.
06-02-2022, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #96921
dbs
Pentaxian

Where have we been ?
Well ... sleeping ... working ........ and its rained a lot .. ooh and cold too ( we seem to be getting at least one season this year ... but why winter I ask bbrrrrh )
06-02-2022, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #96922
Pentaxian

Congratulations to the Queen.

I recall the first visit of the Queen and Prince Phillip to my fair city, in 1951. I was just over two years old. I only recall a very limited number of things from this age, and I think I do recall this...because my parents told me what famous personages would be visiting our city. I've always had high regard for both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.

I remember the Queen and Prince Phillip, being chauffeured , in a parade, in an open car. I can't recall the car make, but probably it was a large Cadillac or Buick convertible.

06-02-2022, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #96923
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Congratulations to the Queen.

I recall the first visit of the Queen and Prince Phillip to my fair city, in 1951. I was just over two years old. I only recall a very limited number of things from this age, and I think I do recall this...because my parents told me what famous personages would be visiting our city. I've always had high regard for both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.

I remember the Queen and Prince Phillip, being chauffeured , in a parade, in an open car. I can't recall the car make, but probably it was a large Cadillac or Buick convertible.
I found a photo online, but in Toronto. Was it this car?
If it was, it looks like a 1951 Lincoln Cosmopolitan. At first I thought it was a 1950 Packard, but no.

06-02-2022, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #96924
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Long live The Queen.

06-02-2022, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #96925
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Where have we been ?
Well ... sleeping ... working ........ and its rained a lot .. ooh and cold too ( we seem to be getting at least one season this year ... but why winter I ask bbrrrrh )
Dave!

06-02-2022, 08:38 PM - 2 Likes   #96926
Pentaxian

I found a photo online, but in Toronto. Was it this car?
If it was, it looks like a 1951 Lincoln Cosmopolitan. At first I thought it was a 1950 Packard, but no.
I don't remember. At my age in 1951, I didn't know cars very well.

Later on (1959 I think) , I think the Queen and Phillip were again in Winnipeg and if memory serves me correct it was a big GM luxo convert. Usually what would happen back then, a car dealer would provide a convert from his stock, and it would invariably be a luxury car convert.

My wife's grandfather, who was an early Canadian bush pilot....and as a result was honoured to meet the Queen. She was driven to the event in a vintage Rolls-Royce....provided by a local car collector.

I think if Prince Phillip had his druthers...he would of always gone with a Land Rover. He was quite a fan.

Now, lodged in my deep, dark memory recesses....when Elizabeth's parents came for a Canadian tour in 1939, they had a Buick-McLaughlin....which was the Canadian market Buick of the time.

I think the American President's car...has generally been switched back and forth between Lincoln and Cadillac.

Another memory of mine, knocking around my relatively empty brain cavity...is didn't FDR....have the first presidential armoured car...which had previously been Al Capone's former car ? Was it not confiscated by the U.S. Treasury Dept. , due to Al's non payment of taxes ?
06-02-2022, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #96927
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Where have we been ?
Come to where it is warm and sunny. Just like when the Germans were attracted to invade here in the 7th century.
06-02-2022, 09:51 PM - 2 Likes   #96928
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another memory of mine, knocking around my relatively empty brain cavity...is didn't FDR....have the first presidential armoured car...which had previously been Al Capone's former car ? Was it not confiscated by the U.S. Treasury Dept. , due to Al's non payment of taxes ?
I believe that's an often repeated tall tale. Al Capone's car was 1920's, FDR's car was late 30's.

See: FDR and Al Capone's Cadillac; Truth or Myth?
06-02-2022, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #96929
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think if Prince Phillip had his druthers...he would of always gone with a Land Rover. He was quite a fan.
He took his very last ride in a Landrover.
06-02-2022, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #96930
Pentaxian

He took his very last ride in a Landrover.
He broke his penultimate Land Rover in an incident involving a member of the public. A dealer replaced it in a couple of days. Try that in you own car.