Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2022, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #96931
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
He took his very last ride in a Landrover.
Actually a very practical. It was the platform of a ‘technical’ rather than the traditional gun carriage that requires something else to drag it around.

06-02-2022, 10:25 PM   #96932
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I believe that's an often repeated tall tale. Al Capone's car was 1920's, FDR's car was late 30's.

See: FDR and Al Capone's Cadillac; Truth or Myth?

The US Secret Service say that FDR did use Al Capone's armoured car.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=74a4d1228e1cea2dea11ba03f29b64172301ec54188d9...RhdGlvbg&ntb=1
06-02-2022, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #96933
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
A dealer replaced it in a couple of days. Try that in you own car.
Back in the 1960s I was a junior officer in a bank in a country town. The no1 customer was involved in quarries, contracting, had numerous dairy farms with share farmers running them (read tenant farmers) and also owned a Mercedes Benz dealership in another town.
He pranged his Benz and checked with the workshop at the dealership how long to fix it. The answer didn't please him "I can't wait that long"; walked into the showroom and pointed out a car and said I'll have that one!!
His office manager received the repaired Benz as his next Christmas bonus.

If only Prince Phil had owned a dealership; could have had a replacement the same day!
06-03-2022, 12:53 AM   #96934
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Back in the 1960s I was a junior officer in a bank in a country town. The no1 customer was involved in quarries, contracting, had numerous dairy farms with share farmers running them (read tenant farmers) and also owned a Mercedes Benz dealership in another town.
He pranged his Benz and checked with the workshop at the dealership how long to fix it. The answer didn't please him "I can't wait that long"; walked into the showroom and pointed out a car and said I'll have that one!!
His office manager received the repaired Benz as his next Christmas bonus.

If only Prince Phil had owned a dealership; could have had a replacement the same day!
I think he was getting repairs to him on the first day, at least. I think the news implied his repairs were conducted at his house at the farm.

06-03-2022, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #96935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I personally hate both but strangely don't mind the dried form of cilantro i.e. coriander seeds, the fresh version however always tastes like soap to me.
Fresh cilantro to me it tastes like a stink bug smells. I got no problem with brussels sprouts though. They are yummy if they are prepared correctly.
06-03-2022, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #96936
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
For @MarkJerling and @Tim60 today is World Bicycle Day.

WORLD BICYCLE DAY - June 3, 2022 - National Today

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-06-2022 at 05:47 PM.
06-03-2022, 06:25 PM - 4 Likes   #96937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
@MarkJerling- Welcome back Jim.
When you're done painting yours, come and do mine. I'll feed you free pizza and give you a bed.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Add beer and I’m in.
Hmm, Racer's counter sounds good. My passport is current, but not so sure I could afford the transportation costs. Want to up the ante Mark?

I figure it will take at least two more painting seasons before I am caught up on this house ... I'll reevaluate then.

Speaking of painting. Visited the "Painted Churches of Texas" last winter. Several European ethnic groups immigrated to Texas in the 19th century. They wanted to emulate the fancy churches they left behind. These groups made do with what was available - homemade plaster, wood and paint. Because the churches are located in what are still rural surroundings, the churches were not expanded, but lovingly maintained. Here are a couple:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #96938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Wiring up my trailer for solar....almost done!
Looks like you are filling up your pass-through storage bay. The same storage area on our 21 ft / not quite 7m trailer is pretty full with hook-up & leveling equipment, emergency repair tools, and gear to enjoy the great outdoors. I have a solar panel. It puts out 10w - enough to maintain the 12v battery when the camper is in storage. Maybe we have too much stuff?

Let me know how your project works out.
06-03-2022, 08:14 PM - 2 Likes   #96939
dbs
Pentaxian

Dave!
Taa ... Racer ...............
06-04-2022, 12:22 AM - 2 Likes   #96940
Pentaxian

For @MarkJerling and @Tom60 today is World Bicycle Day.

WORLD BICYCLE DAY - June 3, 2022 - National Today
I rode twice around the city yesterday. About 35 miles.

The weather was cool and a touch of precipitation late in the afternoon, but not enough to stop cricket.
06-04-2022, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #96941
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Looks like you are filling up your pass-through storage bay. The same storage area on our 21 ft / not quite 7m trailer is pretty full with hook-up & leveling equipment, emergency repair tools, and gear to enjoy the great outdoors. I have a solar panel. It puts out 10w - enough to maintain the 12v battery when the camper is in storage. Maybe we have too much stuff?

Let me know how your project works out.
I am just doing finish up work now; vacuuming up sawdust, the occasional mouse poop, snipping off any errant zip-tie ends, re-installing the fuse box, final circuit testing, and then the hatch cover goes back, the mattress on and done! Off to kitchen renovations as per the missus.

I'll be sure and post a full report. And yes, it does eat up a bit of the storage but anything I had in there still fits.
06-04-2022, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #96942
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I rode twice around the city yesterday. About 35 miles.

The weather was cool and a touch of precipitation late in the afternoon, but not enough to stop cricket.
Oh no, is cricket back? Or is it still going on....the never ending game.
06-04-2022, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #96943
Pentaxian

England is playing NZ at Lords.

Not worth discussing.

Mark can if he chooses.

I was writing a weather report. Another favourite pass time here.
06-04-2022, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #96944
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Oh no, is cricket back?
Is it ever really gone?

The matches last so long the season seems to last 364 days or so.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-04-2022 at 12:37 PM.
06-04-2022, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #96945
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The matches last so long the season some to last 364 days or so.
Yeah, that's ridiculous. That's almost a full week longer than American baseball, basketball, and football.

Baseball players used to be called "The boys of Summer". Now it's more accurate to say "The boys of late Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and early Winter."