Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2022, 03:55 AM   #96961
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Just like Cadillac were built so big, made to make Texans feel less lost in the vast expanses of empty Texas?
Maybe so.

The virtue of bigness.

06-06-2022, 05:00 AM   #96962
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
People in this town would be most offended by your comments about Morris cars.
Oh, Tim, please be assured that no offense was meant to the good people of Oxford.
My complaint is directed to the industrial "giants" who turned multiple companies into BMC and British Leyland (or was it the other war around).

My own experience with the brands; Dad bought an Austin A40 (Devon) in about 1953-54, and a Morris Oxford Mark 2 a few years later.
The Austin travelled from one side of Victoria to the other annually for the years we had it - 2 kids in the back seat with a couple of suitcases that wouldn't fit in the boot (US=trunk) and one kid between parents in the front. We even slept in it once!!!!!!
The Morris towed an old bondwood caravan (US=trailer) for a number of years. (Didn't get in to top gear one day, travelling into the wind)
06-06-2022, 05:45 AM   #96963
Pentaxian

You experience of the Austin was like my experience of my grandfather’s Vanguard 4, he would never consider a 6, because it was a lemon model. He drove from Adelaide to central Victoria quite often.

He also had a Morris 30cwt Ute. A real monster in size, well not quite as much as monstro.
06-06-2022, 06:03 AM - 6 Likes   #96964
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Boot.

Trunk.

Bonnet.

Hood.

06-06-2022, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #96965
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Boot.

Trunk.

Bonnet.

Hood.
they are:
boot, box, cap, yob.
06-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #96966
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The US Secret Service say that FDR did use Al Capone's armoured car.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=74a4d1228e1cea2dea11ba03f29b64172301ec54188d9...RhdGlvbg&ntb=1
Yes, they say so. But, it's a myth. There is no evidence that FDR ever rode in Al Capone's 1928 Caddy. While there are numerous photos of FDR in other cars (usually Packard or Lincoln convertibles) there are none placing him in Al Capone's Cadillac sedan.
06-06-2022, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #96967
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For @MarkJerling and @Tom60 today is World Bicycle Day.

WORLD BICYCLE DAY - June 3, 2022 - National Today
Kewl.
I did not ride my bicycle on World Bicycle Day. I did, however, do so on the 4th.

06-06-2022, 04:20 PM - 3 Likes   #96968
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And the Land Rover is a “wish I bought a Toyota” type of car.

06-07-2022, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #96969
Pentaxian

Is that child complaining about having to sit in the Land Rover that is oversized for the roads in its country of manufacture.
06-07-2022, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #96970
Veteran Member

If you have a Land Rover you don't need no stinking roads!

Fun fact, the first 4-wheeled vehicle I ever drove on a public road (I had driven 3-wheeled vehicles before) was a SWB Series 2 LR complete with a full sized and fully loaded hay cart on the hitch! I was 18 years old and I only had a motorcycle licence, had never had a car driving lesson and wasn't insured to drive it! I was helping a farmer during hay making season (in return for hunting rights on his land!) and he was driving an old Fordson 3-cylinder tractor and full trailer so he threw me the Landy keys and said drive that home and park it anywhere in the yard! When I started to raise legal objections he just said "It's less than a quarter mile, on a quiet country road, who's going to know!" then drove off!
06-07-2022, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #96971
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

…the Land Rover is a “wish I bought a Toyota” type of car.
For many years that wasn’t an option. 4wd Toyota things like the Hilux go all the way back to 1979. You could have been running a Land Rover, with 4wd, for decades before that.

If one wishes to buy a Toyota, one buys a Toyota. Me, I’d like a certain Land Rover model, but it ain’t the current Dalek Defender.
06-07-2022, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #96972
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, they say so. But, it's a myth. There is no evidence that FDR ever rode in Al Capone's 1928 Caddy. While there are numerous photos of FDR in other cars (usually Packard or Lincoln convertibles) there are none placing him in Al Capone's Cadillac sedan.
I've always been a student of history. In my studies and readings over the years, it is hard to determine what is a fact, what is a myth, what is mere opinion, carefully crafted as 'fact'.

In the last decade or so, there have been a number of 'fact checkers, myth busters....some of them have credibility issues. Some of them have hidden and not so hidden agendas. As far as government agencies...assorted media...newspapers, radio, TV...movies, documentaries....it is always wise to subject them to an examination with a fine tooth comb....as of course I would to so called fact checkers.

Back in the '60's-70 I worked for a publishing company, and the stuff I saw in local TV, newspaper, radio. Enough to turn my hair a premature gray.

It has been a life long lesson...to always be alert, don't take things at their face value....and do your best to separate the wheat from the chaff....and there is a lot of chaff out there.

And therein lies the dilemma. All these questions of.... Who, What, When Where, and Why....how can they be answered with any semblance of confidence for the average citizen, that he/she is getting the real story.

I've always read, listened to, watched a lot of media, media I like, but also media I don't like or trust...to keep a balance.

This is a habit I developed back in my 1950's - '90's short wave radio listening days. Many countries, especially the big powers would have English language, national radio stations....UK, USA, USSR, Cuba....the list goes on.

I could hear each country's 'interpretation' of the same big story....of the week. All would be equally convincing, all would be logical...and most were the polar opposite of what the other 'fellow' had to say.

So, the ability to develop a accurate B.S. meter is essential in these modern times....and I always try to remove my innate bias ...from the mix. Am I completely successful ? Probably not, but I give it my best shot.

There I go again. Digressing.

Les
06-07-2022, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #96973
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Today is:

DANIEL BOONE DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today

Also:

LOVE ISLAND DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today

And invented before vanilla:

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today

To anyone who is celebrating a birthday today, happy birthday. This guy doesn’t have birthdays anymore:

Prince's Birthday

Oh, and today is World Caring Day.

Smile at everyone you meet, hug that special someone, and generally have a nice day.

WORLD CARING DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today
06-07-2022, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #96974
Pentaxian

Today is:

DANIEL BOONE DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today

Also:

LOVE ISLAND DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today

And invented before vanilla:

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today

To anyone who is celebrating a birthday today, happy birthday. This guy doesn’t have birthdays anymore:

Prince's Birthday

Oh, and today is World Caring Day.

Smile at everyone you meet, hug that special someone, and generally have a nice day.

WORLD CARING DAY - June 7, 2022 - National Today

I like my ice cream...Neapolitan. Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry.

I've got a story about my little dog, who was my near constant companion,....penicillin in liquid form...side effects...and Neapolitan ice cream.

The story ended happily, but it may not be for the squeamish.

I'm not sure everybody is 'ready' for it.

However, I will bow to demand..either way.
06-07-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #96975
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This guy doesn’t have birthdays anymore:
Neither do you or I. We all have only one birthday.