Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2022, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #96991
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A well told tale, Les. We find dogs happily swallow their pills if covered in a suitable treat. Part of the technique is to have another treat ready to go once they’ve swallowed the loaded one. Our dogs are so fixated on food they are no trouble with this. Your bribery may vary.
Don't know why I never though of that method. I could of used bits of sausage meat to conceal the dreaded pill. Willy was smart...but he could never avoid the temptation of meat.

We don't have dogs anymore, due to allergies of family members...but I sure do miss not having a canine around the place.

Our daughter and her partner have a rescue dog. He's from the northern part of our province and the vet says has Siberian Husky and some Greyhound in him, amongst other breeds. He looks like a typical Canadian sled dog, which I'm sure some of his ancestors were, as he is from near a northern community that used to run sled teams, still do a bit I think.

I get to walk him every so often....

I have seen him in fenced dog parks...where he can run to his heart's content. His speed, endurance is something to behold. When he accelerates from a dead stop...it is as if he 'explodes' off the starting line. a marvelous dog and a real part of the family.

As you can see I'm a dog lover.

06-08-2022, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #96992
Pentaxian

Tim, a Short Wheel Base Series 2 Land Rover is never, ever a Chelsea Tractor. You’ll be calling a Willys Jeep a boulevard cruiser next!

Out here on the Northwestern Great Plains...or prairie provinces as we call them, in the 1950's/'60's we never had many of the traditional Land Rovers. I recall just two in my burg.

One was owned by a highly regarded radio announcer , and he said on air...'he had to be behind the microphone at 3:30 am ....in Winterpeg...he needed a Land Rover to ensure he could fight through snow drifts left by our not uncommon prairie blizzards. '

The other one, owned by a pro photographer who worked at the same publishing company that I did.

I had a ride in it once in the winter. It was about -25 F , cold, wintry, snowy...and that was just inside the Land Rover.

The heater/ defroster was overwhelmed by our deadly winter. Or maybe his heater/defroster wasn't working well. It was also noisy...but then it was one serious truck, not a Cadillac.

I recall a staff meeting at the publishing company. The photographer asked the publisher ...'when the company parking lot was going to be plowed out ? ' The publisher replied...'well it's not that bad...and then added...'why do drive that thing. you recently bought (referring to the Land Rover). "

The photog replied..." I need it to get in and out of the parking lot ! "...to a chorus of laughter from the rest of the staff.

I like the original Land Rover, tough as nails, unique look, go anywhere ability.
If I was wealthy, I think I would like to have an older one resto modified. A hard top '60's LR, with the Rover V8...which as many know, was originally designed, made and used by Buick. But maybe not. Some LR aficionados would probably denounce me for modifying it...sacrilege don't you know, old bean.

I know I could just buy a '90's Land Rover Defender, which some of this model featured the Rover V8...and that might be the way to go...but first off I need lottery winnings.

I wouldn't use mine as a Chelsea tractor. My wife and I, and also our son and me, do like to go out on country back roads...looking for abandoned iron and wildlife to take pix with, using of course my Pentax gear. Some of these excursions go through pretty rough territory, where having 4WD/AWD, additional traction aide settings, ground clearance and truck type tires to work our way through unsavoury road conditions. The Defender would be right for the job, although our large Chevy SUV does a very good job of ploughing through unimproved roads now.

LR bought the rights from General Motors, to manufacture this great, small V8, and modified it , to meet Rover needs. I think Rover did a great job and of course there were many Rover V8's that were used in other British vehicles.

We had a 2007 , 6 passenger, Buick sedan that had the Buick 3800cc , 90 degree V6, which came out in the early '60's...and was available in many forms....and it was related to the Buick/Rover V8...in original design, etc..

That Buick of ours, was a great car, very torque rich and could really move that 4000 pound Buick of ours, out quickly.

The Bujick 90 degree V6, during it's life was supercharged, turbocharged, carbureted, fuel injected...used in Indy race cars, was the 'big motor' in Jeeps for awhile. Jeep bought the rights to to this engine from GM in the 1960's, used it, then GM bought the rights, etc...back from Jeep in the '70's and used it for years. In fact it was the basis in turbo form, for one of the fastest American Muscle cars of the '80's. The late, lamented Buick GN-X.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...rrQMfriyoL8Rs5
06-08-2022, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #96993
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Back in the '70's I got a small rescue dog. Got him from a couple I knew, that ran a dog hair clipping place. The woman did some of her dog clipping at a vet and apparently, another woman had dropped this dog off at the vet, said I don't care what you do with him, but all I know is that I don't want him.

The vet kept him for a couple of weeks, but couldn't find a home for him, so the dog's future wasn't promising.

He was about 7.5 to 8 pounds, around 2 years old, pure white, pink nosed, part poodle, part West Highland Terrier....as much as anyone at the vet's could guess.

He was definitely a one man dog, small in stature, but absolutely huge in personality. He took to me, and I took to him immediately. He was an intelligent, very strong willed, Type A...dog.

Because of his personality, I called him Will....but mostly Willy. Think his previous name was 'fluffy'....

I have lots of stories of this little force of nature, many of the stories still make me smile and chuckle. He was a funny dog, but not intentionally so.

When he was older, he had an infection, I took him to the vet, she gave me some penicillin pills, to administer to him each evening. It was like a Punch & Judy show, just trying to get a pill down his throat. After a week or so, he wasn't getting any better. and while cleaning my place, (I was a bachelor at the time) I noticed a little pile of penicillin pills, deposited in a pile behind my couch.

I realized the little devil, had been not swallowing the pills, but spitting them out, hiding them behind my couch.

Well, back to the vet.

I explained what he was doing and the vet, said ok, I'll try liquid penicillin, and give you a syringe to shoot it down his gullet.

I tried that. Some of the time, he would be able to spit it back in my face...so I took to wearing my workshop safety glasses...I mean who wants dog medicine in their eyes....eh.

The liquid penicillin worked...although it did have a side effect.

Willy had longish white hair, and the penicillin gave him the 'runs'......

So there he was...a white 'square' of a dig...a pink muzzle from the pink coloured penicillin that he had managed to spit out...a white, vanilla coloured mid section....and a brown bum...as a side effect from the meds.

To this day....I can't look at Neapolitan ice cream, without thinking of Willy, me and the pink penicillin.

BTW, I did try to keep as clean as I could during this little adventure.
Cunning little buggers when they want to be. Our dog will take any medicine so long as it's hidden in a cube of cheese.

The cat's an entirely different story. I don't have enough blood in me to medicate our cat.
06-08-2022, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #96994
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The cat's an entirely different story. I don't have enough blood in me to medicate our cat.
Medicating cats can be difficult.
And aggravating.
And frustrating.
And painful.

06-08-2022, 05:04 PM - 5 Likes   #96995
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have recently found a solution for ear drops (for mites) for the cat:
1. Pretend to pick up cat to give a cuddle.
2. Cuddle for a little bit.
3. Gently place cat on a large old towel.
4. Continue to cuddle cat on large towel.
5. When cat appears relaxed, quickly tightly wrap cat in towel so that only the head protrudes.
5A. When I say "tightly" I mean about the same "tightly" as a year old jar of preserves. Don't be fooled and do it less tightly than that, because, if you do, the cat will manage to get it's legs out. Not too tight though, or the head will come off the cat. If you break your cat I take no responsibility.
6. Stay away from the bitey end.
7. Place eardrops in ears.
8. Swiftly unwrap cat, still avoiding mouth and claws. (Welders gloves are handy for this part.)
9. Throw away shredded towel.
10. Sleep with one eye open.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-08-2022 at 05:09 PM.
06-09-2022, 10:53 AM - 4 Likes   #96996
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

GIFT WRAPPING WITH THE HELP OF YOUR CAT
Clear large space on table for wrapping present.
Go to closet and collect bag in which present is contained, and shut door.
Open door and remove cat from closet.
Go to cupboard and retrieve rolls of wrapping paper.
Go back and remove cat from cupboard.
Go to drawer, and collect transparent sticky tape, ribbons, scissors, labels, etc...
Lay out presents and wrapping materials on table, to enable wrapping strategy to be formed.
Go back to drawer to get string, remove cat that has been in the drawer since last visit and collect string.
Remove present from bag.
Remove cat from bag.
Open box to check present, remove cat from box, replace present.
Lay out paper to determine size to cut.
Try to smooth out paper, realize cat is underneath and remove cat.
Cut the paper to size, keeping the cutting line straight.
Throw away first sheet as cat chased the scissors, and tore the paper.
Cut second sheet of paper to size - by putting cat in the bag the present came in.
Place present on paper.
Lift up edges of paper to seal in present. Wonder why edges don't reach. Realize cat is between present
and paper. Remove cat.
Place object on paper, to hold in place while tearing transparent sticky tape.
Spend 20 minutes carefully trying to remove transparent sticky tape from cat with pair of nail scissors.
Seal paper with sticky tape, making corners as neat as possible.
Look for roll of ribbon. Chase cat down hall in order to retrieve ribbon.
Try to wrap present with ribbon in a two-directional turn.
Re-roll ribbon and remove paper, which is now torn due to cat's enthusiastic ribbon chase.
Repeat steps 13-20 until you reach last sheet of paper.
Decide to skip steps 13-17 in order to save time and reduce risk of losing last sheet of paper. Retrieve old
cardboard box that is the right size for sheet of paper.
Put present in box, and tie down with string.
Remove string, open box and remove cat.
Put all packing materials in bag with present and head for a room with a lock.
Once inside locking room, lock door and start to relay out paper and materials.
Remove cat from box, unlock door, put cat outside door, close and relock.
Repeat previous step as often as is necessary (until you can hear cat from outside door)
Lay out last sheet of paper. (This will be difficult in the small area of the toilet, but do your best)
Discover cat has already torn paper. Unlock door go out and hunt through various cupboards, looking for
sheet of last year's paper. Remember that you haven't got any left because cat helped with this last year as
well.
Return to lockable room, lock door, and sit on toilet and try to make torn sheet of paper look presentable.
Seal box, wrap with paper and repair by very carefully sealing with sticky tape. Tie up with ribbon and
decorate with bows to hide worst areas.
Label. Sit back and admire your handiwork, congratulate yourself on completing a difficult job.
Unlock door, and go to kitchen to make drink and feed cat.
Spend 15 minutes looking for cat until coming to obvious conclusion.
Unwrap present, untie box and remove cat.
Go to store and buy a gift bag.
May your days be merry and bright!

Last edited by Parallax; 06-09-2022 at 01:21 PM.
06-09-2022, 01:15 PM - 6 Likes   #96997
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, my solar setup.

Couple of key objectives:

1) Allow the missus and I to camp off-grid for extended periods of time without having to fire up a generator or charge batteries with the truck.
2) Setup should be able to run a microwave for small bursts...heat up stuff not cook a prime rib
3) Size batteries to endure multiple days without sun
4) Allow for a single battery failure
5) be able to charge batteries off solar and/or shore power

Equipment

Ended up going with the company Renogy for all components.

- Rover Li 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- 200 Watt Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Suitcase w/o Controller (it comes with a 20A controller but I wanted a 40A)
- 2000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger w/ LCD Display
- 500A Battery Monitor with Shunt
- 2 X 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery W/ Self-Heating Function

The 200W of solar panel seemed sufficient to keep the 200Ah of battery charged up, but just in case, I sized the system to be able to handle another 200 Watts of solar panel.

I already had a glass fuse block from a previous boat project so rather than buying a new blade setup, I made use of the older style fuses.

Wire sizing:
  • Short runs between inverter and batteries - 1/0 welding cable I had lying around
  • Runs between Solar Controller and Battery, Fuse Panel - 8 gauge
  • Run to solar connector - 10 gauge
  • 120V 30A from shore plug to Inverter and inverter to breaker box - 10/2 with ground

Tools:
  • Various screwdrivers, cutters
  • Wire stripper for smaller gauge wire (14 and 16 gauge)
  • TEMCo TH0006 Hydraulic Electrical Cable Lug / Terminal Crimper Kit with 18 Die Sets 12 AWG - 00 (2/0) (5 US TON ) for 1/0, 8 and 10 gauge lugs (allowed for custom cable lengths)
  • Ferrule Crimping Tool Kit, Preciva AWG23-7 Self-Adjustable Ratchet Wire Crimping Tool Kit Crimper Plier Set with 1200PCS Wire Terminals Crimping Connectors Wire End Ferrules (for connections into Solar Controller)
  • Multimeter

Steps:
  1. Build a wooden box to accommodate and protect all components sized to be able to be installed through the side storage door.
  2. Add components and wire in each by either cutting wire to length or zip tying a bundle in a storage location.
  3. Wire a temporary 120 socket and plug to the 120V input and output of the inverter.
  4. Test that Solar controller powers up and communicates through Bluetooth module
  5. Test that the inverter powers up, charges batteries, 120V output flips between shore power and 12V created 120V.
  6. Remove all heavy components and install the box in the trailer, anchoring the box to the floor of the trailer.
  7. Add all components back into the box and wire up.
  8. Install conduit from breaker box location to the front storage location
  9. Un-install the trailer’s breaker box and remove 120V feed from shore bulkhead connector. Remove old 12V charger as it is not Lithium compatible and this function will be replaced by the charger in the Inverter.
  10. Run 10/2 from Shore bulkhead to Inverter and from the trailer Breaker box to the inverter.
  11. Run Monitoring cable and remote inverter on/off switch wire.
  12. Add 200amp breaker to positive run between batteries and inverter.
  13. Anchor and Zip tie all wiring.
  14. Add 40 amp breaker between Solar controller 12V output and house (trailer) breaker box
  15. Connect solar panels and verify charging, connect shore power and verify 120V functional, remove shore power and verify 120V. Verify all 12V power.
  16. Done, toast with a nice glass of single malt

Attached Images

06-09-2022, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #96998
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
looks good Charlie .........
06-09-2022, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #96999
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
So, my solar setup.

Couple of key objectives:

1) Allow the missus and I to camp off-grid for extended periods of time without having to fire up a generator or charge batteries with the truck.
2) Setup should be able to run a microwave for small bursts...heat up stuff not cook a prime rib
3) Size batteries to endure multiple days without sun
4) Allow for a single battery failure
5) be able to charge batteries off solar and/or shore power

Equipment

Ended up going with the company Renogy for all components.

- Rover Li 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- 200 Watt Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Suitcase w/o Controller (it comes with a 20A controller but I wanted a 40A)
- 2000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger w/ LCD Display
- 500A Battery Monitor with Shunt
- 2 X 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery W/ Self-Heating Function

The 200W of solar panel seemed sufficient to keep the 200Ah of battery charged up, but just in case, I sized the system to be able to handle another 200 Watts of solar panel.

I already had a glass fuse block from a previous boat project so rather than buying a new blade setup, I made use of the older style fuses.

Wire sizing:
  • Short runs between inverter and batteries - 1/0 welding cable I had lying around
  • Runs between Solar Controller and Battery, Fuse Panel - 8 gauge
  • Run to solar connector - 10 gauge
  • 120V 30A from shore plug to Inverter and inverter to breaker box - 10/2 with ground

Tools:
  • Various screwdrivers, cutters
  • Wire stripper for smaller gauge wire (14 and 16 gauge)
  • TEMCo TH0006 Hydraulic Electrical Cable Lug / Terminal Crimper Kit with 18 Die Sets 12 AWG - 00 (2/0) (5 US TON ) for 1/0, 8 and 10 gauge lugs (allowed for custom cable lengths)
  • Ferrule Crimping Tool Kit, Preciva AWG23-7 Self-Adjustable Ratchet Wire Crimping Tool Kit Crimper Plier Set with 1200PCS Wire Terminals Crimping Connectors Wire End Ferrules (for connections into Solar Controller)
  • Multimeter

Steps:
  1. Build a wooden box to accommodate and protect all components sized to be able to be installed through the side storage door.
  2. Add components and wire in each by either cutting wire to length or zip tying a bundle in a storage location.
  3. Wire a temporary 120 socket and plug to the 120V input and output of the inverter.
  4. Test that Solar controller powers up and communicates through Bluetooth module
  5. Test that the inverter powers up, charges batteries, 120V output flips between shore power and 12V created 120V.
  6. Remove all heavy components and install the box in the trailer, anchoring the box to the floor of the trailer.
  7. Add all components back into the box and wire up.
  8. Install conduit from breaker box location to the front storage location
  9. Un-install the trailer’s breaker box and remove 120V feed from shore bulkhead connector. Remove old 12V charger as it is not Lithium compatible and this function will be replaced by the charger in the Inverter.
  10. Run 10/2 from Shore bulkhead to Inverter and from the trailer Breaker box to the inverter.
  11. Run Monitoring cable and remote inverter on/off switch wire.
  12. Add 200amp breaker to positive run between batteries and inverter.
  13. Anchor and Zip tie all wiring.
  14. Add 40 amp breaker between Solar controller 12V output and house (trailer) breaker box
  15. Connect solar panels and verify charging, connect shore power and verify 120V functional, remove shore power and verify 120V. Verify all 12V power.
  16. Done, toast with a nice glass of single malt
Looking real pro Charlie. Nicely done.
06-09-2022, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #97000
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

So, my solar setup.
My truck camper came with a 100W solar charger/maintainer setup and two deep cycle bats.
With no AC, and no microwave I figure we can last indefinitely. The only drain I have is the solenoid and fan for the furnace in cold weather, the gas valves on the refrigerator and water heater, and the LED lights.
Besides that, with a truck mounted camper, unlike a trailer, it's always with me so when out and about (or oot and aboot as we say around here) exploring it's charging from the truck as well.
Over the years we've gone from campers, to a trailer a few years ago, then back to a camper. We've experienced the advantages and disadvantages of both and the camper just suits us better.

BTW, Charlie, very nicely done but which took longer; the installation or the taking, processing, and posting of the photos?

Last edited by Parallax; 06-09-2022 at 03:30 PM.
06-09-2022, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #97001
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
  • Remove old 12V charger as it is not Lithium compatible and this function will be replaced by the charger in the Inverter.
  • Done, toast with a nice glass of single malt
Awesome work Charlie.

Some questions.

So have the lead acid batteries been eliminated completely?

Can lead acid batteries be charged with this setup?

Do the new batteries offer better performance over a longer lifespan?

Are the new batteries recyclable?

Does the system switch automatically from solar to shore power?

Oh, and one more thing.

You forgot one important picture on your how to.

The scotch.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-09-2022 at 05:41 PM.
06-09-2022, 11:26 PM - 3 Likes   #97002
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
…You forgot one important picture on your how to.

The scotch.
Here ya go!

06-10-2022, 01:59 AM - 2 Likes   #97003
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Here ya go!
06-10-2022, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #97004
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
So, my solar setup.
Bravo! <loud, long hand clapping>

Leaves my caravan electric mods in the dust!

I modified the battery box on the tongue with an automotive 2-pole connector. Inside the box are + & - alligator clips. Outside the box, the flush, mount 2-pole connector & weather cap. I can disconnect the battery from the camper and still use that 2-pole connection to attach a 10W solar 12v battery maintainer. The solar panel has both magnets and eye bolts so one way or another put the panel wherever it will suck up the most sunlight (and I have an extension cable). Or I can plug in an automotive 12v socket - handy for the mobile air compressor - - used for tires and flushing water from all the lines for cold storage.

My other electric project was to install a 12v wireless relay inside the roof vent housing. My spouse can't reach the fan switch, or the vent knob. The wireless switch is is mounted on the wall next to the bathroom light switch. Non-electrical, I slipped a rubber sleeve (Fernco) over the vent knob and a short rod of furniture grade PVC pipe with ball cap at the other end. A lot better than dragging a step stool around the camper.
06-11-2022, 08:19 AM - 4 Likes   #97005
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Today is National German Chocolate Cake day.

Interesting note, the cake isn’t actually German. German chocolate cake was named after an English-American named Sam German, creator of a specific baking chocolate at the Baker’s Chocolate Company.

NATIONAL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY - June 11, 2022 - National Today

Although I usually don’t have favorites of anything, if it was compulsory to have a favorite cake, this would be the one.

Mrs. Racer makes one for my birthday every year. We have modified the recipe slightly, after I had a slice at a truck stop restaurant when I was driving Monstro. Instead of cake mix, a chocolate brownie mix is used, sans the chocolate chips. Something is done to make the brownie mix fluffier, an egg is added I think. The caramel pecan icing has some shredded coconut in it, and I like to lay whole pecan halves across the top.

A slice, and a couple scoops of Tillamook vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate and caramel syrup, sprinkled with crushed pecans and shaved dark unsweetened chocolate.

Mmmmm…….tasty!

Happy German chocolate cake day!