Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2022, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #97006
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Our Mark will be suffering paroxysms of delight because the black caps got their highest ever score in England, 553 all out, at Trent Bridge. The 7th highest scorer was some bloke called Extras. England reply is less than stellar indicating a good opportunity for a follow on.

06-11-2022, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #97007
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Today is National German Chocolate Cake day.

Interesting note, the cake isn’t actually German. German chocolate cake was named after an English-American named Sam German, creator of a specific baking chocolate at the Baker’s Chocolate Company.

NATIONAL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY - June 11, 2022 - National Today

Although I usually don’t have favorites of anything, if it was compulsory to have a favorite cake, this would be the one.

Mrs. Racer makes one for my birthday every year. We have modified the recipe slightly, after I had a slice at a truck stop restaurant when I was driving Monstro. Instead of cake mix, a chocolate brownie mix is used, sans the chocolate chips. Something is done to make the brownie mix fluffier, an egg is added I think. The caramel pecan icing has some shredded coconut in it, and I like to lay whole pecan halves across the top.

A slice, and a couple scoops of Tillamook vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate and caramel syrup, sprinkled with crushed pecans and shaved dark unsweetened chocolate.

Mmmmm…….tasty!

Happy German chocolate cake day!
Sounds good, really good. And me trying to watch my sugar intake.

By the way, wouldn't matter (except to the family of Sam German), if the recipe was regarded as being from a Germanic speaking country. The Germans will quickly deny it originated there, nor will you easily find this delight in Germany. On the other hand, they have a product called American Salad Dressing that astounds the natives when you tell them they won't find it in America under any name. It is vaguely reminiscent of thousand island dressing with the addition of finely chopped pickles.
06-11-2022, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #97008
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
It is vaguely reminiscent of thousand island dressing with the addition of finely chopped pickles.
Ah, yes. Jack-in-the-Box secret sauce.
06-11-2022, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #97009
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Ah, yes. Jack-in-the-Box secret sauce.
Hmm, didn't see any of those burger joints in Germany either. Quite a few McDonald's however. And the Germans also figured out they have clean - and free - restrooms.

06-11-2022, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #97010
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today is National German Chocolate Cake day ... if it was compulsory to have a favorite cake, this would be the one.

Mrs. Racer makes one for my birthday every year. We have modified the recipe slightly, after I had a slice at a truck stop restaurant when I was driving Monstro. Instead of cake mix, a chocolate brownie mix is used, sans the chocolate chips. Something is done to make the brownie mix fluffier, an egg is added I think. The caramel pecan icing has some shredded coconut in it, and I like to lay whole pecan halves across the top.

A slice, and a couple scoops of Tillamook vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate and caramel syrup, sprinkled with crushed pecans and shaved dark unsweetened chocolate.

Mmmmm…….tasty!

My dear fellow, it is customary to at least supply a pic of the delight in question! We need no national whatever day to indulge; this is a ginger cake gifted by friends last weekend which we have been enjoying all week and this is almost the last slice. Soft and sticky, it goes awfully well with cream to make a splendid dessert.

I'm watching my waistline: watching it expand!

06-11-2022, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #97011
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
My dear fellow, it is customary to at least supply a pic of the delight in question! We need no national whatever day to indulge; this is a ginger cake gifted by friends last weekend which we have been enjoying all week and this is almost the last slice. Soft and sticky, it goes awfully well with cream to make a splendid dessert.

I'm watching my waistline: watching it expand!
OK, let me see if I have a stoopit phon pic of one Mrs. Racer made for me.

Oh yes, several.

Oops!

Looks like it was pictures of some cheesecake that I embellished with pecans and chocolate syrup.

Sorry, eh?
Attached Images

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-11-2022 at 03:32 PM.
06-12-2022, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #97012
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who’s the singer-songwriter: Cat Stevens?

06-12-2022, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #97013
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today is National German Chocolate Cake day.

Interesting note, the cake isn’t actually German. German chocolate cake was named after an English-American named Sam German, creator of a specific baking chocolate at the Baker’s Chocolate Company.

NATIONAL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY - June 11, 2022 - National Today

Although I usually don’t have favorites of anything, if it was compulsory to have a favorite cake, this would be the one.

Mmmmm…….tasty!

I've never seen a German chocolate cate that looks like that. But, who am I to judge. It's chocolate, so it's a winner for me.
I do rather like a nice Black Forest Cake. Or, to use it's proper name: Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, also called a Black Forest gâteau.
06-12-2022, 12:59 AM - 2 Likes   #97014
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Our Mark will be suffering paroxysms of delight because the black caps got their highest ever score in England, 553 all out, at Trent Bridge. The 7th highest scorer was some bloke called Extras. England reply is less than stellar indicating a good opportunity for a follow on.
I'm not sure I'd quite go to "paroxysms of delight" but yes, pretty happy about that.

"Paroxysms of delight" are these days reserved for when my kids come to visit or when I have a satisfactory bowel movement. (Hopefully not at the same time.)
06-12-2022, 01:01 AM - 2 Likes   #97015
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, let me see if I have a stoopit phon pic of one Mrs. Racer made for me.

Oh yes, several.

Oops!

Looks like it was pictures of some cheesecake that I embellished with pecans and chocolate syrup.

Sorry, eh?
Yum.

In other news, I can report that the "seafood diet" is working well for me. I see food and I eat it.
06-12-2022, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #97016
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yum.

In other news, I can report that the "seafood diet" is working well for me. I see food and I eat it.
Ah .... you too ..

must be a southern hemisphere thing .... then
06-12-2022, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #97017
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Who’s the singer-songwriter: Cat Stevens?
cheesy

The songwriter was also the artist, Bernard Kliban: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Kliban

One of my favorite artists.

06-12-2022, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #97018
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Larsen said Kliban was a major inspiration.
06-13-2022, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #97019
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had a rather nice breakfast the other morning.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
06-13-2022, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #97020
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and it's prickly pear season! Yum!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo